main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Airline Disaster Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Yeah man, my original post was pretty crass and insensitive, I felt. (Glad I changed my mind within the 30-minute time limit, heh.)

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The Langoliers.

There, I think we finished all of the references now.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Millennium

but you can all DIAF.

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I was just about to post that David. lol

5. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    my theory is that jason was on board.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  6. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Curiouser and curiouser.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Sounds more and more like they are looking for it in all the wrong places. If this were happening with a US airline I'm sure the lawsuits would already be stacking up.

9. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    An article I saw yesterday comparing the two claimed they didn't because they were too busy trying to save the plane. I suppose it could be a similar situation here.

10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    So they still haven't found the plane? What the hell?

11. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

Dude,

[​IMG]

VadersLaMent and Hank Hill like this.
  12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Seriously, it's been almost a week, and no one has managed to find this plane. This is pretty scary **** in all seriousness.

13. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, I know. It is more than a bit peculiar that, if it did crash in the sea, bodies (unlikely, I know) or even bits of debris haven't turned up by now.

14. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I read aninteresting theory yesterday, I'll try and find it again. Basically there was a warning issued last year that 777s may be susceptible to structural cracking at the GPS antenna. If this is true, and the fuselage cracked, it may have disabled their located system, depressurised the plane and caused it to act like Payne Stewart's from years ago.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Eh, the ocean's a big place. They'll find it eventually. As far as finding (no) survivors goes it's not like there's any rush. Obviously the biggest concern is that this could happen to other 777's, but that will still take a long time to figure out after the wreck is found.

16. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    http://www.lowyat.net/2014/03/was-there-a-problem-with-the-mh370-boeing-777-200-aircraft/

Yeah it's a pretty good theory. It accounts for everything.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That accounts for everything except that MH plane doesn't have the SATCOM system under warning.

It was debunked both in those comments and the original Reddit, as I understand.

18. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    my ass never goes missing. yesterday, it had 4,987 people aboard.

19. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Word now is that Chinese satellites have taken images which appear to show several pieces of floating debris to the northeast of the regular flight path.

20. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Thanks for drawing attention to that. I check it out and yeah, that theory has some problems.

I do wonder if there might be some likelihood to the general possibility of an incident in which the transponder (and other tracking tools) was knocked out while also causing (rapid) decompression though. That would allow the plane to have remained structurally sound and continue on autopilot, while incapacitating the crew. I continue to have a hard time believing that IF the plane made it to the Malacca Strait area, it did so without any communications, unless the pilots were incapacitated or there was major enough damage that all communications were gone. (Although I'm inclined to think that the plane isn't in that region -- I still lean towards thinking it went down in the South China Sea).

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's certainly possible there was a slow decompression issue and oxygen was lost (hypoxia) faster than the plane depressurized to 14500 feet (when the oxygen masks would deploy). However, that would be a) the first time something like this has ever happened on a 777 plane of any type (I am aware of) and b) not known until the flight recorder/black box is recovered in all likelihood.

Just similarly to the new 787 Mitsubishi wing manufacturing issue (wings were noticed to be cracked on inspection after installation of the wings, which were now blamed by Mitsubishi as a "change in manufacturing process"), it only affects 42 brand-new, (possibly) not yet deployed planes and has no bearing on all of the 787s already currently in service. So there are variations in planes between different airlines even within the exact same plane group; so the SATCOM warning issued was only for certain kinds of 777s in service, not all of them.

22. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    New, rather scary, theory

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    If it was terrorism (the "theory" seems to suggest hostage taking), then why has no one claimed responsibility? I also have a hard time believing that hundreds of passengers and crew would just allow even the captain to divert the flight like that, seeing as how, you know, the last major act of terrorism on an airliner didn't involve landing safely.

24. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I didn't even know they could get information from the engines like that.

25. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005

That's what I was thinking until I read this. The WSJ talks about taking the plane "with the intention of using it for a later purpose". So essentially, security in US/Europe to tight to hijack a plane the way they did on 9/11, so find one somewhere where the security is less stringent, and get lucky that the co-pilot apparently has been known to let passengers into the cockpit, and then use it some time down the road.

Pretty outlandish, to be sure, but at this point, the theory at least bears investigating.