main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 24: The Jack Bauer Power Hour (and Spin-Offs)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 9, 2005.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Girl With the Hacksaw Tattoo.

2. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Looks like Audrey got her marbles back. =D=

heels1785 likes this.
  3. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I'm not so sure, she seemed to have the same blank stare as always. Even before she went to China.

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I certainly hope this injects some more life into Keifer's staggering career as of late.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Been trying to get through the previous seasons the last few weeks, just finished up Season 4, which is about where I started following the show when it was on FOX.

I consider that to be the best season - Marwan is the smartest and deadliest of the supervillains, I think, and it seems like all of the major players (Jack, Chloe, Tony/Michelle, Bill, Curtis, Audrey, Heller, Logan, Palmer, Novick) are all together at the end of the season, before they start dying off and fading away in Season 5 and beyond. What's your favorite season?

6. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I loved Season 2. The Kim plot was terrible, but the rest was simply tremendous. And I still love Kate Warner.

EDIT: I should point out that I've never gone and rewatched any of the seasons. I have to do that once, curious to see how Season 2 holds up.

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Season 2 was good - seasons 2-5 are what I would consider the glory years for 24. First season was so slow, and then the last three seasons were very up and down.

8. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I went and rewatched with my wife who hadn't seen them. Heels is correct. Season 1, while good, it is slow.

And this is as laughable as ever from season 2.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.vulture.com/m/2013/12/24-kim-bauer-cougar-trap-episode-oral-history.html

The2ndQuest and heels1785 like this.
  9. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    OK, I admit it, I have an obsession with Kate Warner.

As for season 1 being too slow, maybe, but I like that they didn't feel a need to have a nuke go off every week. The last 5-6 episodes, starting with the introduction of Dennis Hopper and the underground prison (which is when I started watching) were tremendous. Not to mention Terry's death, which was still the most stunning thing I've ever seen on TV or in a movie.

10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Dennis Hopper was fantastic. Terri's death was shocking, but the start of day 5 was the most insane thing I've seen on TV. Two (although we presumed three) very major characters from the past 4 seasons killed off, without warning, within 20 minutes.

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Terri had a really crappy day if you think about it.:(

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Season 1 is the most grounded of the seasons- it gas a slow burn start, then peaks at the compound, then meanders until
    Hopper shows up for a very good finale.

Season 2, minus the Kim subplot, is still my favorite- the hacksaw, the nuke, the first attack on CTU before that idea was recycled. It was also the most topical as it aired concurrent to the debate around the Iraq invasion.

24: The Game was pretty decent, story-wise. It was nice to have an intro to the S3 characters as well as having Jack deal with different situations (triggering an earthquake might be too fantastical but having Jack have to fight through its rubble and aftermath was kinda cool). Plus strafing the villains's boat with a minigun mounted to a helicopter was just damn fun!

Season 3 was a bit mixed- it was the first season to really just drop major plot lines entirely. But stuff like the prison break and such was solid. And we got Chloe and Spock.

Season 4 was the first season to do the "chain reaction of multiple threats from a supervillain" structure instead of the "one threat per half season" structure of the first 3 seasons. It mixed things up, even if it was more outlandish than the rest of the series to that point.

Season 5 took what Season 4 did and perfected it. I think having multiple good villains between Welker, Logan and the Bluetooth Mafia helped make the multiple threats thing come across slightly more plausible.

Season 6 was the series low point and the one you kinda have to mostly ignore for subsequent seasons to make sense since S6 is kind of a right-wing sci-fi/fantasy with its alt-future fallen America that S7 & S8 don't depict the aftermath of, to make them more accessible.

On top of that there are terrible plot lines throughout the season, characters are wasted like Milo, Audrey and the Bluetooth Mafia, retreaded stuff from better seasons like the attack on CTU, and stuff like the Chinese and Russians are shoved in at the end to try and make a last minute course correction.

The seasons problems were made all the more obvious following if the series strongest seasons too- it dropped the ball on most of the threads setup by S5.

24: Redemption was quite good though, I thought.

Season 7 changed things up with the DC setting and returning things to a less fantastical setting/threat.

Season 8 ended up being really his, with a strong supporting cast (and doing what I thought was impossible at the time and made me like Freddie Prinze Jr) and an interesting setting using NYC and an evolution of CTU with the drones that was both plausible and ahead if it's time in terms of being relevant to current day issues.

Season 8's only real weakness is that they just couldn't help falling back to YET ANOTHER CTU mole, they played with it well, but that idea should have died many seasons prior.

I'll note that S7 & S8 are the only ones I haven't re watched yet (I've seen all the others at least 3 or 4 times, between my initial viewing and marathoning friends through the series to catch them up for S7 or S8).

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Wasn't season 3 the one where Jack called in the airstrike on the chopper in downtown LA? I think it was picking up Saunders or one of his henchmen. That was AWESOME.

Personally, my favorite scene is from Season 4 when Jack and Audrey are pinned down in a garage, without ammo, gunmen with automatic weapons closing in, and then..pop, pop. Gunmen fall, revealing Tony standing behind them.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I wasn't too much of a fan of Tony's characterization in the second-to-last season.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Finishing up S5 tonight. God, Gregory Itzin is brilliant.

16. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002

But Season 1 was where it all started. From that first scene, to early and suprise deaths. I still remember when Jack 'killed' Nina and when we weren't sure if Tony was the mole or not. The first season had some of the best twists and surprises (especially the end scene) that would lead to 24 being one of the best edge of your seat dramas for years to come.

Season 2 followed it up with some great stuff with the exception of Kim (never have I wanted a cougar to maul someone so much). 2 was overall very strong. It also gave us Michelle. 3 was where things started to go a bit off but still gave us one of the most memorable moments with Chapelle and it gave us Chloe which really the rest of the seasons would not have been as good without her. I did like season 4 a lot for the reasons you stated. And it also lured us into a false impression of Charles Logan so that the big twist in Season 5 really was a surprise for most. 6 started good but just went way down and they basically wasted the potential of several great villains. 7 brought some serious life back to the show and the stuff with the White House was especially impressive. But it helped that they did Redemption. 8 I have mixed feelings on but was overall satisfied with.

17. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Seasons 2 and 5 are the best. The first sixteen episodes of two are I believe the longest stretch a single plot thread has lasted during the series. I loved how it was basically understated detective work that ultimately led them to the bomb, instead of a series of bombastic set-piece shootouts. The short arc in the middle where Nina essentially functions as an ally while she and Jack engage in pyschological warfare was brilliant.

Five was the season that was simultaneously the most layered while also still essentially, and successfully, functioning as one cohesive story.

Season 3 is, to me, the worst season by far. It is incredibly one-dimensional throughout: chase villain, capture him, discover there's a guy higher up on the food-chain, chase him, rinse and repeat. It's blatantly obvious that the writing never got more than one or two episodes ahead. One really bad example of this: The episode where Jack and Chase go to the MI6 office to retrieve a hard drive. The episode itself is ridiculous--a helicopter machine guns the office and a bomb is rigged to explode the hard drive, both amazingly occurring at the exact moment Jack and Chase arrive at the office. But the bigger point is is that this hard drive nor any intelligence derived from it are ever mentioned or relevant again. Jack's romance with Claudia was so shoehorned and perfunctory as to be embarrassing. And of course the Anne Packard/Alan Miliken nonsense. The single worst thing about this season is how completely and totally Nina Myers was wasted. Jack hunting for Nina could have been the premise of an entire later season. Instead she was thrown in to this mess (obviously to liven things up as it was meandering so) and unceremoniously killed off a few episodes later. It still makes me angry.

With Season 6, they swung for the fences with the Graham=Graem Bauer twist and, well, they missed. Badly. D.B Woodside's acting was also terrible. I've actually never even re-watched this season on DVD, but while it was going on what I remember striking me the most was how it seemed virtually every single plot dynamic was recycled from a previous season. Off the top of my head, the only one I remember now is the "someone affiliated with the government turns out to be in intimate contact with one of the baddies and after discovering it tries to dupe him" angle, but I remember there were many, many more.

I have very mixed feelings about Season 8. Jack actually snapping and going on a reign of terror was a bold and interesting move, but the direction of those episodes was poor. Jack essentially remained the "protagonist" of the story, but his actions were so indefensible that it wasn't really possible to get behind him. Ultimately, if you're not behind Jack Bauer in 24, something's gone wrong. Something I found hilarious about the end of this season: Kiefer basically reprised as the Sniper from Phone Booth at the very end.

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    This will be my first re-watch of S6 coming up too.

I disagree on S3, though. Saunders was a brilliant villain. The cartel stuff was a little slow, but it improved drastically.

19. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    As an aside about Season 2, did anybody here ever listen to the commentary track during one of the episodes with Carlos Bernard, Michelle Forbes, and Sarah Wynter? It was laugh-out-loud funny.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    "Would lead" is probably a good way to say it- though it was definitely Season 2 where the show exploded in terms of popularity and critical appeal.

21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I really need to watch seasons 2-5.

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I need to watch seasons 1-5 plus the beginning of 6.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm a few episodes into S6. Powers Boothe should have been President for the whole season. Daniels is the last good President we had, although I'm sure Heller will be great.

24. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    I liked Taylor in Season 7. She was extremely presidential and was uncompromising in her beliefs-going so far as to have her daughter arrested for murder. In 7 she put country above family. The only other president to do that was David Palmer in season 1. What happened towards the end of Season 8 though was terrible and it really seemed against her character. I think the writers did Cherry Jones a great disservice with that.

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    About halfway through season 6, its not really bad. I mean, there are weak parts (Graem's annoying wife, the weird internment camps, Jack Jr. at CTU, and a VP/President of different ideologies) - but the core of the story is still good, and it moves quickly. Plus, the actor who plays the main bad guy from China is terrific.