main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Lord Miggler

Lord Miggler Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 6, 2013
    It took Qui Gon the time between PM and AOTC to become a voice heard by Yoda and he can't appear as a force ghost. Anakins body doesn't disappear and he receives no training, Yoda and Obi-Wan achieve the feat with years of training in exile while they are alive. It's strongly implied that it's a feat one achieves on their own after extensive training hence Yoda's line "training I have for you" if they could achieve it after death in the time it takes Luke to get on Endor and join the celebrations why would Qui Gon go to the trouble of making contact while they are alive and training them in the first place ? He could just wait till they pass away and show them in the great beyond, like as you say Obi-wan and Yoda do with Anakin.

Lucas' after the fact comments aren't cementing anything they're just another example of him trying to paper over another hole in the story.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What exactly does the training involve I wonder?

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    What Obi-wan and Yoda did for Anakin was a gift for both father and son. A result of his turning back from the dark side, which was unexpected and certainly most welcome. Qui-gon prepared Yoda and Obi-wan because he wanted them to be ready for it, when the time came. He was teaching them not only how to retain their identity, but to evolve as Jedi.

Half of those comments were while he was writing the films.

wobbits and Andy Wylde like this.
  4. Lord Miggler

Lord Miggler Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 6, 2013
    I completely agree it was to evolve as Jedi, an evolution that Anakin doesn't undergo, sure he renounces the dark side which is an evolution but of a different sort, Anakin the Jedi (AOTC & ROTS) was a character that was surrounded in darkness and not a particularly likeable character even before his eventual turn and completely opposite to Obi Wan and Yoda, who were compassionate, thoughtful and wise.

The idea of it being a gift for father and son although a notion I don't really think is implied, is certainly one that I like and that could be introduced and then expanded on to great effect in the ST. If Anakin does appear as a ghost, could this gift have bigger ramifications down the line ? I would like to think that there would be still an uncertainty surrounding Anakin and his motivations, he turned to the light for love for his son but Anakin on his best day blurred the lines between the light and darkness.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    He had to be. Remember, Lucas chose to combine two different characters into one person. In 1978, Luke's father was a Jedi through and through and in the Leigh Brackett draft, had already retained the ability to become a ghost. Darth Vader was just someone who wasn't quite a saint and was easily turned to the dark side by Palpatine. So Lucas had to balance both the good and the bad with the character. The darkness around Anakin wasn't there from the start. It was fostered by a Sith Lord who was undermining Obi-wan's training for thirteen years.

As Lucas said, having children should bring out the best in you. It should make you stop being a selfish person and start thinking about the welfare of your child. This happens in families that aren't dysfunctional. It doesn't always happen, but when it does, then you wind up having a good and solid relationship. Anakin knew that turning on Palpatine would cost him dearly. His motives were for his son, whom he could save because he believed in him. His motives in saving Padme was because he was afraid to be alone in the universe.

wobbits, Andy Wylde and Iron_lord like this.
  6. DBZGTKOSDH

DBZGTKOSDH Jedi Master star 1

Aug 31, 2013
    • I don't hate Jar Jar Bings, but I never liked him that much.
    • I don't consider Episodes I & II bad movies, but they are my least favorites of the 6.
    • Episode VI was better than Episode V.
    • Episode III is the best Star Wars movie so far.
    • I don't care that much about the Expanded Universe.

Vizzy91, CaptainRegor, lbr789 and 3 others like this.
  7. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    George Lucas or Ben Burtt should be the editor on the ST.

8. DBZGTKOSDH

DBZGTKOSDH Jedi Master star 1

Aug 31, 2013
    Forgot one more:
    • I don't mind the changes that Lucas makes in the movies, and I don't mind to see more.

9. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    Lucas lost his touch for humor in the Prequel Trilogy. Jar Jar is disliked because his humor is too in your face. The humor with R2 and 3PO in AOTC (Arena battle) is just too much at a serious point in the movie. The humor in the OT was better written into the story and not so in your face.

10. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    -I prefer the Special Editions (even with their faults) over the O-OT

-As great of a job as Liam Neeson did as Qui-Gon, his role ought to have been Obi-Wan's in TPM, along with other major plot changes.

-Boba Fett is insanely overrated... so he had cool looking armor & a nice ship. So what?

mJedi775 likes this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    TX-20 and DarthTunick like this.
  12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Jango Fett is cooler than Boba.

TX-20, Cyreides, bstnsx704 and 3 others like this.
  13. Padawan Fangirl

Padawan Fangirl Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Duh.

Sent from my stupid little astro droid using TapaTalk 2.

14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Zam Wessel was underused.

Vizzy91 and TX-20 like this.
  15. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013

The gift isn't one you gain through training. The training is there to help you do what you need to do in order to earn the gift, not what actually earns it. You receive it when you let go of your life and serve the will of the force. It was Vader's love for his son that gave him clarity, understanding, and earned his place as a force ghost.

16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

He certainly does a lot more, and was more integral to the plot of the film he was in.

mJedi775, Vthuil and Force Smuggler like this.
  17. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    • The Blu-ray releases are the best versions of each film (yes, even for original trilogy).
    • The good changes heavily out-way the bad changes in the films (especially in the Blu-ray versions).
    • The prequel trilogy is heavily underrated by many groups on the internet while the original trilogy is very, slightly overrated.
    • The special effects in the prequels look just as good, if not better, than most SFX heavy films these days.

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

With the completely unnecessary "Nooooo" from Vader as Palpatine is unleashing the lightning on Luke, and when he picks up Palpatine? Interesting.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    I typed it wrong, I meant "especially with the updated Blu-ray release". That being said, the "No...NO!" line certainly doesn't effect the movie in a negative way for me.

TheOneX_Eleazar and CaptainRegor like this.
  20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    ROTS has the best opening space battle of any sci-fi film.

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That first moment was pure awesomeness.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    The drumbeat is pure awesome.

23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    It's one of my favorite "little" musical moments in the saga.

Another unpopular opinion: The Yoda TPM puppet WASN'T horrible.

Darth Raiden and Force Smuggler like this.
  24. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm attracted to ewoks

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Ewoks are attracted to me.