main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Prequels or originals?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Rolf Larsen, Mar 8, 2014.

?

Which do you prefer: Prequels or Originals

1. The prequels

17 vote(s)
    23.0%
  2. The Originals

29 vote(s)
    39.2%
  3. Both

28 vote(s)
    37.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Da'wid Yott

Da'wid Yott Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2014
    ...I love them both. Who knows what OT could have been like with the movie tech PT had at it's disposal...which is why GL wanted to "improve" OT right? I love the concepts and how they can relate to my/our seemingly mundane life. I could nit-pick the inconsistencies or some of the dialogue of PT, but that takes away from the experience I enjoy from the story and characters, so I choose to enjoy them all - flaws and all....

Andy Wylde likes this.
  2. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
  3. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    I love when people say "Saga" and then go on a rant about how much better the PT is than the OT.

Yanksfan, MOC Yak Face and TX-20 like this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The OT doesn't need the PT to be complete but the PT does need the OT to be complete.

5. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I disagree.

6. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Since there is no option for Five out of the current Six, I went with the OT.

7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Neither is complete of themselves but the differences in style and inconsistency of plot elements make it very difficult to consider it a cohesive Saga for me personally.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  8. fuzzbox77

fuzzbox77 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2008
    My thoughts also. What is very apparent is the technological aspect and styles of portrayal. The two trilogies don't gel in that respect for myself. How can three dimensional holographic projections zip to life along with independent droid armies in Episodes I-III but be two dimensional holographic projections in IV-VI and yet the droids that came close were just Special Edition enhancements (???) which to some either took away what was well steeped in universal culture when Lucas could have covered a lesser technology in the PT? Understandably technology in effects evolves - yet the inconsistency is far beyond obvious.

The same with character change, casting choices in resemblance that don't compliment their previous counterparts and age change that was only altered later in the Special Editions themselves for no apparent reason except to tailor a new approach rather than one that wasn't addressed previously. As I see it - disregard for classic works and what all too many knew before. But each to their own.

*This next part isn't a statement of debate or to spark argumentative fans to spout their own views like nobody elses point does not matter*
    Fandom will always have it's own divided perspective and fans will separately have their own personal perspective whether it be in lighthearted debate or (in some cases) a prolific stance which they will address until it gets out of hand and attacking somebody in rage behind a illuminated screen in disregard of others opinions (as we have all seen across the boards). See it as Lucas sympathising/support, Saga fandom, Unaltered OT fandom or PT fandom by those who only swear by their preference and will defend their opinions to the hilt. Everybody has a different story and every generation (OT, EU, SE/PT/TCW) will have their own.

But - like Trek fans before us... welcome to passionate fandom.

TX-20 likes this.
  9. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Like Fuzzbox I am not seeking to incite any upset/wrath.

Likewise, there are so many versions of the films and perception may well vary from person to person depending on which one they are personally referencing. Even individual reading of the same version varies widely.

Indeed to your last point. However, I weary that difference seems cause enough for needless contentions. Why such negativity? Can we not celebrate in the diversity of the saga and its fans rather than picking everything a part with a slant of negativity? I don't think it's really the differences that bother me so much as a number here act like if others don't cede to their perceptions they are wrong. I highly doubt any two viewers of anything to say nothing of SW will see it exactly the same way.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  10. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

Why? It's perfectly possible to think that they go best together but heavily prefer one element over another. If someone is at a party and there's pizza and chocolate cake and they're asked which they prefer, would you really be surprised if that person said they'd prefer both? It's certainly possible to think both are great but that one is really superior.

It's like talking about good pizza and fantastic chocolate cake made by an expert pastry chef.

No one's going to turn down good pizza. But I don't see anything wrong with preferring the chocolate cake if you perceive it to be of better quality.

I disagree. Personally, I think the PT does a very good job of resolving itself, however, it's more of a straight-up tragedy with just a glimmer of hope at the end. But you could certainly stop with ROTS. The PT tells a complete story -- the fall of the Republic and Anakin Skywalker. It's made much, much better though with the inclusion of the OT. Just as the OT (in my opinion) is made far superior with the inclusion of the PT.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  11. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    But the question isn't about whether or not you can have both pizza and cake. Of course you can. The question is whether you like pizza or chocolate cake better. If you much prefer pizza, surely the answer is 'pizza', rather than 'I want to have both'.

Yanksfan likes this.
  12. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

Of course. But I think that's the rationale behind why people say "Saga" but then go ahead and say why they think they like the PT better. Ideally, they'd want to have both, just as most people would want both the pizza and cake. But, if they're forced to choose, they elaborate on why they selected one over the other even though they like both.

13. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I'd say a vote for saga when you have a clear preference one way or another kind of defeats the purpose of the original post. But anyway...

14. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I like the OT better. Actually, to say I like the "OT better" underplays how disappointing I found the PT. An accurate answer would be "I LOVE the OT and watch it with embarrassing frequency, while I could spend the rest of my life never sitting through the PT again and be fine with it".

I like the "lived in" look of the OT. It felt like the GFFA was an actual place, and I could visit it if only I had the technology. The PT was all video game-like CGI. I felt like I was watching a cartoon half the time. And I loved the characters in the OT. They exuded more warmth and seemed more dimensional. I wanna *hang out* with Luke, Han and Leia. Meanwhile, Anakin and Padme? I doubt I'd even accept their friend requests on Facebook.

And I liked the straight forward story of the OT. Maybe I'm pointing out how dense I am (or how riddled with ADD my brain is), but I can barely follow the plot of TPM and AOTC, but I don't care enough to try and figure it out. If the PT had been introduced to me when I was five years old, I doubt I would've made it through the first movie. But with the OT? ANH had me at the very first shot and it held me in it's grip until the very end of ROTJ. (My feelings have cooled on ROTJ in adulthood, but I *did* love it when it came out).

And to be completely shallow for s second? The OT has a young, hot, Harrison Ford. Doesn't get much better than that. :)

15. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Return of the Jedi was my favourite from the time I first saw it at 10, until my initial SW fandom waned in my teens. When I returned to SW, inspired largely by reading the Thrawn trilogy as a young adult, Jedi somehow seemed like an ill fit with the other two OT films. Almost as though a different story was now being told. When I saw the prequels, I felt that the new films fit well with ROTJ and that episodes 4 and 5 sat apart from those four. So for me, as I said earlier, there's a set of four and a set of two, rather than a 3/3 split. If I'm picking one trilogy or the other, though, it has to be the OT, simply because episodes 4 and 5 are my two favourites by a wide margin.

fuzzbox77 likes this.
  16. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Can you explain why Star Wars was so popular before TPM came out?

17. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I do not question the assertion that the OT doesn't need the PT . I object the assertion that the PT would need the OT.
    They both work fine on their as individual stories , although better as a combined story imo .

18. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I agree.

19. scooper121s

scooper121s Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 4, 2014
    Both are awesome in their own right :)

20. SarlacsDinerParty

SarlacsDinerParty Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2014
    Yeah. totaly agree With that ! And the PT makes the OT even better and more powerfull ;)

21. Amiga_500_User

Amiga_500_User Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 4, 2014
    Experimental and complex? That joke just made my day. I'm really curious: what exactly is so experimental in or about the PT?

Clear vote for the OT. Better storytelling, more interesting (and lovable) characters, great visuals, very good direction (especially ESB and ROTJ), wonderful production design, mind-bending soundtrack. The list just goes on and on.
    Whereas in the PT I just find flat leading characters with no arc, overly complicated storytelling (being complicated does NOT automatically mean being complex), horrible dialogue throughout, lifeless set design, SFX overkill, pointless action sequences, useless and boring supporting characters, etc. etc.

Yanksfan and Sarge like this.
  22. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Oh joy, another one of these threads

23. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    The PT experimented with GC characters, the much maligned Jar Jar being the first ever CG character throughout a live action film, which is no small feat. Also experimented with alternative tonal and genre approached, like the noir feeling in much of Attack of the Clones. All in all the PT altered and expanded the definition of what a Star Wars movie could be.

The PT was more complex because of mythological volume it adds to the Star Wars saga as a study of comparative folklore. The OT and Campbellian hero's journey could only cover so much ground. The PT looked elsewhere for its inspirations, primarily tragedy but also mystery, prophecy and romance.

I agree that making something more complicated does not make it more complex, but it is true that greater complexity equals greater complication, and that's what we see in the PT. It's bolder, more challenging, and most of all, the PT does not care if you like it or not. It struck out to do its own unique thing, like the weird kid on the playground, and that's what I appreciate endlessly about those movies.

Don't get me wrong, I love the OT, and in the grand scheme of cinema, the older films are better.

f you judge all star wars as a whole, only pitting the films against one another on ALL their merits, I see a very different picture. Neither trilogy is better if you disregard the other.

24. MrCody

MrCody Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 4, 2013
    Both are awesome, when i watch any of them i do not see any difference on how i feel about the movie, i feel that they are all connected as this one massive story, maybe only A New Hope i feel its abit different but not by much.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  25. Cyreides

Cyreides Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 19, 2014
    Absolutely love the PT and will always choose it over the OT. It's just better in every way imo.

Samnz and Visivious Drakarn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.