main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST POLL: Leia's FORCE STRENGTH in Ep VII ?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Downunder, Jan 15, 2014.

?

Leia's FORCE STRENGTH in Ep VII ?

1. No further development (slight Force sense)

12.1%
  2. Moderate development (strong Force sense, moving objects, sensing feelings)

40.3%
  3. Strong devlopment ie Padawan level (mind tricks, some acrobatics, lightsaber use)

22.6%
  4. Extreme development ie Jedi Knight or Master level (roughly equal to Luke)

31.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    There are no such thing as cranky old hippies.

2. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005

She had a rebellion to fight. She had little time for anything else. But if Han and Leia have kids, that changes everything, especially if the Republic is at peace. She would have stayed on after the rebellion, maybe even served as Chancellor (though given that she no longer has a planet to represent as a senator, I wonder if she would even be eligible) for a couple of terms. But at some point she has to stop. Han probably would have made her stop. Her mission becomes to raise her kids and as the years go by and the galaxy needs her less and less, she can finally relax...until something comes along and threatens everything.

3. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    He was so high on Conan last year, rubbing the chair and zoning out mid-sentence. But Han Solo doesn't seem like hippie type at all.

Yanksfan, Lee_ and TKT like this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Ford can do whatever he damn well pleases.

5. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    Leia will be strong in one thing: protecting her children from having anything to do with using their force powers to become Jedi, etc...

Hence, the conflict. :)

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    And her attachment to her kids will then accidentally serve as the catalyst for all of the Dark Side crap she was protecting them from via her overzealous attachment. Oh, symmetry...

7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yes, he does look totally baked on that show. No, Solo doesn't come off as the hippie type, but on the other hand, they never went into what it was that he was smuggling.....

8. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013

[​IMG]

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Is that like the spice from Dune?

10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm guessing so...

11. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

Um, what? Uh, okay, Don Draper, back up. There are so many things wrong with those few sentences that I don't even know where to start. Why does SHE have to stop? I don't hear anyone saying the same thing about Luke. And he's her twin, so he's obviously the same age. And why would Han "make" her stop, and who gave him that authority anyway? Is this a GFFA or 1950s suburbia? I don't see Leia cowering into retirement because Han (or anyone) "made" her. Ew. And "her mission" becomes to raise kids? What does that mean? Like she can't possibly do anything besides just that? Why isn't it Han's "mission" to raise his kids?

Sheesh. Here's hoping JJ and Kasdan have a different perspective on things….

12. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Ever spot that the spice KJA used in Jedi Academy was a drug that gave minor telepathy/visions, kinda like how the spice in Dune allowed people to see the future and navigate space via an extra sight... then ironically KJA went on to write Dune novels. They are so similar as to be all but the same thing minus on the scale of powers they give.
    Have you two never spotted many of the other parallels between the two series? Especially the early drafts of Star Wars... [face_laugh]

[​IMG]

Electrobinoculars = electic binoculars from dune
    Sarlacc = worms
    Moisture Vaporators = Dew Collectors
    Sandcrawler = Sandcrawler
    Princess Leia= Princess Alia (pronounced A-Leia)
    Plot twist Villain is the father = Plot twist villain is the *********** (spoilers)
    Etc... (its a long list too btw)

So someone mentioned lost smugged cargo, which was Spice in the EU (also a thing from Dune), so I jumped on the "The Spice Must Flow" joke... comeone people know where our fav series borrowed stuff from. Lucas flat out acknowledges he was inspired by Dune. [face_tee_hee]

Iron_lord and Lee_ like this.
  13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought the similarities were fairly obvious.

14. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005

Wow. Talk about completely misunderstanding what I was saying. It's like you saw me say 2+2 and concluded that the answer was Spoon.

I wasn't talking about Leia becoming a domesticated housewife who exists only to cook and clean for her man. Yeesh. When I say she has to stop, it's because if she doesn't she'll run herself into the ground. If she doesn't take the opportunity to allow herself some time to breathe, it will be the end of her. When I say Han probably makes her stop, I'm not talking about a husband stopping his wife from working, I'm talking about a husband saving his wife. Someone said she's a workaholic. That's true. But she's the worst kind of workaholic. She's afraid to stop because if she stops, then she actually has to deal with watching Alderaan be destroyed and deal with the fact that Darth Vader is her father. All the crap she's been through has been buried. There was always an excuse. Always a reason not to think about it. First, it was the rebellion, then it was helping the restored Republic get back on its feet. But what happens when it's all done? What happens when there are no more battles to fight, nothing left to distract her? Forty years after Jedi, I'd expect her to have gone through that and come out the other side in a far better place and raising her kids WITH Han (seriously? Try thinking before you throw accusations of sexism around) helps her get to a point where she's at peace with herself.

That's what I was talking about. Next time, try not to jump down people's throats when you have no clue what you're talking about.

15. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    Jedsithor: Well, choose your words more carefully and just say that next time. When you say her "mission is to raise her kids", it sounds awfully like a housewife to me. Especially since you didn't mention her doing anything else. If she elected to do something "more out the spotlight", that I would understand. But it doesn't seem in her character to not be involved at all. After all, if she was so committed to making it possible to establish a new government through the Rebellion, then why would she suddenly step away and not be part of the building and maintaining of it? It doesn't make sense.

Plus, with it being at least 30 years after ROTJ, I imagine her kids would be grown. If anything, she would have even more time to commit to whatever career she had chosen to follow. You mentioned earlier Han getting "restless" with the quiet kind of life, well, I imagine Leia would as well. She doesn't have to be a "workaholic" anymore, but she could still keep herself busy and involved. And she certainly doesn't have to quit her career to deal with the "issues" you mentioned. She can do both.

Oh, and reread your last post. Who's jumping down whose throat now?

16. Palp Fiction

Palp Fiction Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    ROTJ made the clear implication that she'll learn the ways of the Force. The only way they'll stray from this IMO is if they think Carrie isn't suited to this type of role. If so that would be a pity. They should be true to the character journey that GL envisioned for Leia back in the 80's.

Ryus, Yanksfan, Ghost and 3 others like this.
  17. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Why do some fans assume that Leia's connection to the Force is weaker than Luke's? Is this opinion due to her gender? Or the fact that Luke was trained first?

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  18. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000

I think it has more to do with people getting the sense (for whatever reason) that Leia would be less committed to the whole Jedi/Force thing, and therefore wouldn't be as strong in the new movies. Atleast…..I *hope* that's their reasoning for that assumption.

It's funny, I have a friend (male, in case that's relevant) who thinks Leia should be STRONGER than Luke in the new movies. I was surprised to hear him say this and asked him why. And he made some good points. Like how she held up against the mind-altering (or whatever it was) torture droid in ANH. Or the way she seemed able to be so strong in the face of losing Alderaan and keep her focus on the task at hand (he thought her amazing poise and focus in the face of great tragedy pointed to a Force strength). And how she, with *zero* training, was able to sense Luke on Bespin and then also know he was alive after the Death Star blew. It didn't seem like Luke really "tuned into the Force" until Ben coached him, meanwhile Leia just *did it*.

Anyway, those weren't my arguments, but I have to say, I found them pretty persuasive. And I kinda like the idea of the underestimated "other" of the OT turning out to be the *real* Force prodigy. *shrug* Anyway, those are my friend's two cents. Feel free to rip into them, he doesn't post here. ;)

19. AkshayTheJedi

AkshayTheJedi Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 12, 2013
    I guess it would be fun just to see Leia as a Jedi Knight.

agentkrycek likes this.
  20. DBZGTKOSDH

DBZGTKOSDH Jedi Master star 1

Aug 31, 2013
    Jedi aren't allowed to make emotional ties with others, so if Leia was to become a Jedi, she would have to abandon Han. So, I imagine Leia as a senator, married with Han, but I guess that Luke would have trained her for self-defense (Leia was always a fighter after all). I imagine that Luke will be the one that remains a Jedi, and Leia will be the one that breeds new Skywalkers. And her descendants will do the same: at least one will be a Jedi, and at least one will do the breeding of new Skywalkers. That's how I imagine it for now.

Claire1976 likes this.
  21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Old Jedi Order. Luke's emotional tie to Vader led to Vader's redemption. And he knows it. I could see him dumping that old requirement when founding his New Jedi Order.

22. DBZGTKOSDH

DBZGTKOSDH Jedi Master star 1

Aug 31, 2013
    Anakin's emotional ties with his mother & Padme also led him to the Dark Side of the Force.

23. Da'wid Yott

Da'wid Yott Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2014
    Iron_lord

That is how I see it, but when I stated this, the way I said it was misinterpreted. I think Luke's New Jedi Order will want to carry on and re-build the Jedi Order, but Luke throughout the movies would question "the old ways." My contention is that new generations will carry on what they learn from their elders, but it will be different/evolved/changed to fit in with the next generation. How Leia will fit into this, I do not know and can only speculate. But one thing is for certain; Leia is strong, with or without the Force, but "with the Force" has already been established. I can imagine that Leia will have been indoctrinated into the ways of the Order, but what path she takes is all up to JJ. Jedi do not just act as warriors and protectors. There are Agri/Educational/Medical/Exploration Jedi that walk other paths, and fighting and protecting only occurs in lesser numbers of circumstances once the complete their training or do not get picked up as Padawan Learners. That will be a question that definitely be answered now!

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    True, but Luke might not know this - it's not like Ben or Yoda ever explained that.

25. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

Luke might not, but R2D2 does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.