main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kylun

Kylun Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2008
    Agreed on the Lego movie. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, and I went in expecting to like it.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    While I only have a paltry 1,300 likes or so, I do have more likes than posts, which I consider very flattering.

Also, I concur with the praise of the Lego Movie. It is far better than it has any right to be; being the Batman fan I am, basically everything Will Arnett!Batman said made me laugh out loud in the theater. Too often, though, I found myself laughing alone.

Kylun and Revanfan1 like this.
  3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Hate when that happens. I LOL at something that happens on a movie or TV show and my parents and siblings don't even crack a smile. And I'm like :confused:.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    People be crazy. We got your back Jack.
    I remember laughing a lot during Desolation of Smaug and others weren't. No problem.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Stabbing is too good for you.

6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Best option? (IMO)

THE CONSEQUENCE TRILOGY.

A full sequel for each ending. Everyone stops whinging about "canon" and then BioWare have three varied timelines with the same ME foundation in which to play, continuity wise.

I mean, there are "alternate realities" within the ME trilogy already (Wrex vs. Wreav, Kaidan vs. Ashley, etc) so it's not like it's without precedent. It would just be on a grander scale.

Indeed, one of the biggest issues ME had, I think, was that the consequences of Shepards actions could never really matter... because everything was being funnelled into the same basic plot skeleton. By doing the above for sequels, however, they can make that decision in the final battle actually make a huge difference.

The only paragon ending is REFUSAL: stupid optimism in the face of impossible odds.

Paragon Shepard really has no reason to think it won't work, given almost every other moment in the series is built around his ridiculously optimistic outlook being unrealistically rewarded. :p

Destroy/Control/Sythesis are all pragmatic, to some extent. Well, if you can look beyond the fact that we're given no reason to believe anything the Catalyst says.

Personally, I think it would have been funny if picking any of the options had been "GAME OVER" with Harby-Catalyst laughing at Shepard for allowing it to convince him to sabotage the Crucible while it powered up. :D

instantdeath and Kylun like this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Geez, did you see it at the Theater for Humorless People or something?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I'd say that Shepard's survival in the Destroy ending suggests that it does indeed happen- whereas the others may simply be indoctrination or a dying dream. I don't trust the starchild, but I can trust Shepard's post-ending experience. "Oh crap, someone made it this far. Uh, hey human, don't touch the Red button because it will, err, kill the geth! Yeah! Just throw yourself into that pillar of light! It will fix everything!"

I'd be down with a consequence trilogy, though. And that's an interesting perspective on Refusal- like I said, quixotic action at its finest.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk 2

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Man, you guys, this is a lot of really interesting insight into Mass Effect and I've seen a lot of good points raised and I just think that, IMO, if you read the developers' comments in oh look another Let It Go video.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't bother - it's a piece of crap.

11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    No it isn't. It's joyful. Like a fun fanservice episode of a long running TV show that's soon to be over.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Nope, it was utter crap - and joy? Nope, definitely not a joyful experience.

Put it this way Uli: It was stop playing the pile of stinking crap or throw the pad into the wall, eject the disc and stab it death with a steak knife. I opted for stop playing.

13. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Ugh. Apparently, I am not as young as I used to be. Night out with friends + whiskey + whisky + ??? = horrible hangover.

The admiral is down for the count today. And, unfortunately, supposed to go wine tasting in about 5 hours. Ugh.

--Adm. Nick

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, hair of the dog for Nick!

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    DigitalMessiah so I tried out the beta session this weekend, and now I'm more conflicted than ever. On one hand, I'm pleased with the Imperials and will definitely be using them. But alliance-wise...

Unfortunately, the Dominion turns out to be really likeable. Or rather, the storyline (what little I saw of it) seemed interesting to me. Royal politics and the like, and I found Ayrenn to be a leader I liked supporting. So the storyline could make sense for my character, especially as Imperial high culture is supposed to be modeled on the Altmer anyway (like the Romans and the Greeks). I also want to see Valenwood and Elsweyr, so it'd be good to explore places I haven't. But on the downside, Auridon is really... generic. Trees, shiny white buildings, colorful flowers... feels like Oblivion in the generic fantasy sense.

The Pact, on the other hand, seems to bore me. Or rather, I didn't find the first few story quests I was tasked with very interesting, and they bugged out before I could get very far in them. I also have little interest in seeing Skyrim again. But on the other hand, it was an absolute sheer delight to see Morrowind again: the distorted and wacky flora and the amazing fauna: guar, kwama foragers, and netches, oh my! They realized it beautifully, although I am really suspicious of the random volcano they put on the mainland to make it feel more like Vvardenfell. I wish I could've had a chat with Almsivi to compare them to Ayrenn for leaders I want to follow, but I guess they're much later in the game. I did get to talk with some representatives of them though, who got their personalities just right enough to make me long for the fun of the Tribunal. However, my enjoyment of this faction is probably purely OOC -- not sure why an Imperial would be very interested in serving Almsivi :p

So I don't know what to do :(

I had this same discussion with my friends yesterday, comparing and contrasting school shenanigans with present shenanigans. In school, it was like "2am? the night is young!" Now it's like "10pm? we should get home and get some sleep."

:p

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The artist have some more good Infinity images
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999

Remember that Nick and I are in our thirties--you'll be amazed how much farther you can fall in the next five years or so.

Revanfan1 and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    stop it. I don't want to be a geriatric like you guys. :(

19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  20. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    When 900 years you reach...

Oh, you get the picture. :p

--Adm. Nick

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  22. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005

"I want more and I know shouldn't."

23. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    GrandAdmiralJello
    Potential reason: Of all the factions, the Pact are the ones least interested in ruling the Empire and the most concerned about daedra. Given the damage the daedra have done to the Imperial City, perhaps a loyal imperial would want revenge on the demons and want to restore imperial rule - in which case, the Pact is the most attractive because they give him a chance to strike at the real threat and are less likely to usurp the place of Cyrodil.

I can spin motivations for the other factions as well.

Matter of fact, come at me with any race in any faction and I will try to come up with a good explanation why they would do so.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Ok, so that takes care of the spin. I agree that they're the least likely to take over, being the most insular of the groups. Dunmer probably just want to be left alone, Nords couldn't rule anything with their government system, and Argonians also just want to be left alone.

But I still need to decide if I actually have a reason to play the faction aside from just nostalgia for Morrowind...

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

Needs more San Hill.[face_not_talking]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.