main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi Hello to all of you!

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Kara Skydancer, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Kara Skydancer

Kara Skydancer Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2014
    Hello,

I've been visiting this website now for quite some weeks, but have registered just now to get into the action.

I'm from Germany and I watched Star Wars the first time when I was only 6 years old. I was actually sick and had too stay in bed for a midday nap. My brotherwas to look after me. Instead of letting me sleep, he said I should get up and we'll watch a movie. And so I saw The Empire Strikes Back for the first time. :)

How did you come into contact with Star Wars the first time?

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Welcome, Kara! I'm glad you decided to sign up :) If you're interested in meeting other fans in your area, you should check out German Speaking FanForce.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have!

3. Kara Skydancer

Mar 17, 2014
    Thank you! I will definitely check that out. I hadn't found that on my own. :) And thanks for your help.

4. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    Welcome to the forum, Kara Skydancer!

Glad to have you on board, and I hope you enjoy your time here. There's plenty of discussions raging around the boards, so dive straight in!

I first saw parts of 'The Empire Strikes Back' on television when I was 6/7, but the Battle of Hoth confused me as I had no idea what was going on, and the Dagobah sequences scared me a little, so I didn't feel comfy watching it!

I just saw the second of three (current) films and had no idea what was going on!

It was years later discovering the re-release of the Special Edition for the 20 year anniversary I watched them all for the first time a little older and wiser, and fell in love with the story, the characters and the escapism. And it went from there really, onwards and upwards to being just one of many hard-core Star Wars fans here today!

:)

Kara Skydancer likes this.
  5. Shira A'dola

Shira A'dola Jedi Master star 6

Sep 4, 2012
    [face_laugh] What an interesting story :p

6. Kara Skydancer

Mar 17, 2014
    Jedi General Gelderd: I was also scared by the scenes on Dagobah and I think I was also scared of Yoda. But maybe 6 years is also a little early to watch this movie. :) Who knows?!

7. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    Maybe...! Obviously the prequels I feel are more child-friendly (bar 'ROTS' for certain reasons!), but the almost animated and cartoonish feel to them make it more engaging.

The original trilogy had a more real, authentic tone and with no CGI, the monsters and creatures you saw looked, for the best part, real! And for a young child it could be quite scary - the Wampa is another example...!

At least we weren't put off for life! ;)

8. SithHorseman

SithHorseman Jedi Master star 1

Feb 22, 2002
    Wilkommen!

I first watched Star Wars when my dad took me and my sister to see it in the theater. I believe I was five. I loved it, of course.

9. Kara Skydancer

Mar 17, 2014
    Right you are. It was the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Otherwise we wouldn't meet here. ;)

Jedi General Gelderd likes this.
  10. Kara Skydancer

Mar 17, 2014
    Thanks for your little German welcoming and Hello to you!
    I am relly getting the impression that a lot of the people here came into contact with the movies quite early (early childhood).

11. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Herzlich Willkommen, Kara Skydancer! :)

I'm from Germany as well (there are more around, but they are hiding well currently ;) ) and you should follow that link above. The board is slow at the moment, but there are some oldbies who are visiting the homebase thread every now and then. Just say 'hi' and you'll get a 'hi' back for sure - just not sure, if it takes a day or a month. ;) :p

Beside of that, either my fandom started because of reading a (random) book of a relative because of getting too bored at a family meeting and this book ends up to be a SW book. Sadly the relative didn't want to lend it to me (she loved it too much herself), so I had to wait until I could get my own copy. Or I watched it on the tv screen. Not sure, it's too many years ago.

Have fun and see you around! :)

12. Obi-yoda

Obi-yoda Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2014
    One of my first books was the picture book of Episode IV. From there, it progressed to the novelization of the Original Trilogy, then to the Prequel Trilogy (both were read by just before age 5). Then, when I was almost 6, I saw Episode I. From there... it progressed, let's just say ;)
    [​IMG]

13. Kara Skydancer

Mar 17, 2014
    Hallo Skiara,
    I already checked the German board, but it really looked like no one contributed any longer. So I didn't write there. However, I will say Hello now. :)
    Fortunately my parents bought the novelisation of the OT, so I didn't have to borrow it. Lucky me! ;)
    See you!

14. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    That's cool - your German post as well as your parents buying the most important books. :D

15. DahJediMan

DahJediMan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2014
    When I had came in contact with my first Star Wars movie? Like a week ago actually (the original trilogy). I watched all three in two days :) . And now I am going to the watch the prequels soon.

16. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Hello! I took two years of German in high school and all I remember is "Haben Sie ein Glas Milch zu trinken?" Do you have a glass of milk to drink?

I'm lactose intolerant so it would do me no good whatsoever. [face_rofl]

Kara Skydancer likes this.
  17. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    ...then you should change one single word: Milch -> Wasser (water)
    That might help rescue your life way better. :p

Mr. K likes this.
  18. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Skiara Replace both with "bier" or "bierer"

19. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    [face_laugh] Good idea! Also known as liquid bread. So it helps not only as something to drink. :p

(Btw, there's no 'bierer', just Bier.)

20. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Skiara Mein Deutsche ist nein gutte.

21. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Doesn't matter! It's fine enough and even some would love the word 'Bierer', because it sounds like a comparison of 'Bier' (like in beer, beerer, beerest // nice, nicer, nicest). ;)

Edit: We are just hijacking your thread, Kara. Hope you don't mind the small German talk. It'll stop soon, since it's your welcome thread. :)

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  23. Kara Skydancer

Mar 17, 2014
    Don't worry! I really enjoy the language games :D
    And I'd say the word "Bierer" is wonderful! I will start using it when comparing sorts of beers and their taste: "Mine is bierer than yours!"

Skiara, you saying beer is liquid bread, reminds me of the proverb "Sieben Bier sind auch ein Schnitzel!" (Even seven beer are one cutlet.)
    Love that one!

24. Kara Skydancer

Mar 17, 2014
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Hope you're fitting in well. Fun fact: I've taken a total of 4 years of German.