main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EHT, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Mother Talzin claimed that by draining Queen Julia of the Living Force, she would have enough power to become "more powerful than any Sith or Jedi." I really wonder what kind of strange power she was utilizing, and whether this could have potential for a villain who's not a Sith, but has enough Force-ability (or Nightsister magick, or what have you) to become as powerful as a Dark Lord of the Sith. Who knows, with good execution, this idea could have potential. I'd still prefer the Sith show up in the ST, but I'd definitely open to interesting new ideas.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So all 6 seasons of TCW are now on Netflix?

InterestingLurker and Dra--- like this.
  3. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    This is an odd one and based on the narrator opening recap but it does say before the 2nd or last episode of S6, that Yoda has to learn the secrets to stay around beyond death to protect the future of the Jedi. The thing is, once Yoda dies in ROTJ, he doesn't do much of anything. He just shows up at an Ewok party. He had to learn to live beyond Death just for that? Or maybe it's a hint that Yoda will be in the ST all Force Ghost-ing it up.

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Might Serenity be the Shaman of the Whills?

Dra--- likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I thought those WERE the Whills! I mean, they didn't say it but, c'mon. Qui-Gon says he "learned from the Shaman of the Whills" in ROTS which didn't make it into the movie but made it into every single Ep. 3 branded merch had that bit of business in it. Qui-Gon sends Yoda to learn from the people who taught him. Those are the Whills. They gotta be!

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If they somehow were not, I cannot possibly imagine anything else being a cooler concept for them.

8. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I thought the screenplays were considered canon? (not trying to debate canon --[face_nail_biting] )

But in the ROTS SP we get the Qui-Gon and Whill's reference.

So yeah, that plus what we get in TCW implies heavily Whills, imo.

Immortiss and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  9. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Nah there's all sorts of kooky stuff in the screenplays for all movies. Obi-Wan's ghost turns up in the battle between Luke & Vader in RotJ for one example.

10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    That was an early screenplay. The final screenplay has no such thing.

11. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Fair enough. Well maybe the killing of Shaak Ti is a better example. It's in the screenplay but they cut that scene. If something doesn't make it to the screen then future storytelling isn't bound to it in terms of continuity wouldn't you agree?

12. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    You sure? I downloaded the copy of ROTS they have on IMDB and it's on there (page 88):

Immortiss and Circular Logic like this.
  13. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Since it didn't make it to screen the ST writers aren't bound to it. However that doesn't mean it's not an interesting & useful clue.

Mystery Roach and Dra--- like this.
  14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I was talking about the ghosts showing up during the Luke-Vader duel.
    yes because the ANH screenplay says that Leia is 16 and Luke is 18.

Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  15. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Good, that settles that :)

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Interestingly enough, in the episode Voices from the Yoda arc, Yoda sees a vision of Shaak Ti getting stabbed by a blue lightsaber from behind, which just so happened to be the scene in question that was cut from RotS. So it's not unheard of that they revisit these ideas in other media.

This quote is further evidence that the Priestesses on the Force-planet are indeed Whills. They have, after all accomplished the ability to "defy oblivion", and retain their identities long after death.

17. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Indeed, but it's optional. Like I said, unused elements of screenplay's & cut scenes aren't canon but they can provide useful clues.

18. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    The issue is confusing and a bit of a grey area -- especially now as things are fluid. But in the past screenplays have been considered canon (Wiki):

I assume when they talk about screenplays, that means the final screenplay, and even the cut scenes are considered canon until contradicted by the films or TV. I'm not absolutely sure though, and I've always wondered about the canonicity of cut scenes.

Still, the scene, although cut, matches up pretty well with what we saw on S6 of TCW. I don't see a good reason not to trust it, IMO. But to each their own. :)

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I can't help but post this sentence from the TPM screenplay:

"Darth Maul falls into the melting pit to his death."

20. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Then there are GL's comments on the AotC & RotS dvd commentaries. He goes on about how important it was that Maul was killed, thereby depriving Sideous of a real Sith apprentice & forcing him to use converted Jedi to keep his evil plans on track, which ultimately would prove his downfall.

Immortiss and Force Smuggler like this.
  21. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    And as you have pointed out before (I believe), GL changes his mind a lot. He okayed Maul's return in TCW. It may have even been his idea.

The original idea still works though, because Sidious believes that Maul is dead.

22. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Very true, it's not a continuity error as such.

Not sure if it's been covered in the EU but I would like to see how Maul managed to get medical attention on Naboo, as a just a severed torso with arms. Maybe he crawled like a crab to a hospital. Why didn't the hospital staff inform the Naboo authorities who would then inform the Jedi? Also odd that Sideous couldn't sense that he was still alive, esp when he was on Naboo for the celebrations. He could sense Anakin's predicament in RotS from the other side of the galaxy.

All very curious.

Dra--- likes this.
  23. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    None of it makes a lick of sense. :D

And I doubt they will ever try to explain it realistically. Instead, it's just one of those storytelling instances when the writers realize they made a mistake and decide to flout probability and bring a popular and underutilized character back.

It has nothing to do with realism at all. That's what I love about it personally.

But I understand why it's annoying to others.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  24. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    I'm just up to it now in my first watch of TCW. I'll keep an open mind.

25. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Most people seem to enjoy the Maul arcs enough to forgive his resurrection. I didn't think it was necessary either, but you can count me among those who liked how it was pulled off.

Hope you enjoy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.