main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is the Emperor really dead?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    After Vader kills "Palpatine" we could see a Red Guard take off his mask scooby doo style & reveal himself as the true Emperor!

darklordoftech likes this.
  2. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Palpy clone theories = banning? That's harsh. Then again it's one of the examples GL used in his famous quote to highlight what wouldn't happen after RotJ (more interestingly so was Luke getting married).

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Palp clone theories are possibly the single largest example of trolling in the history of this site. It's a **** theory and used only to stir up drama. Drama stirring = bannings.

For the record: Not the EU version where he clones himself after... this is purely about the notion that "the Palpatine we saw on screen already was not actually him" theory.

EHT, Darth_Pevra and Dra--- like this.
  4. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Haha! Ah yes, what crazy times those were. I wonder if such craziness could even return, if you allowed. So crazy it was.

Scary.

5. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    For God's sake. I hope they've been locked securely in a forum with padded walls, in the dark recesses of the JC Forums.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    In the words of Dr. Sam Loomis: "It's gone! The evil is gone from here"!

Dra--- likes this.
  7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Interestingly, before TPM was released, most posters thought that Sidious wasn't even Mcdiarmid! It really makes one doubt the current VII speculation.

Darth PJ likes this.
  8. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    The nuttiest thing I can recall around here was the Blue Yoda cult.

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    All Hail Blue Yoda!

Yeah, nutty theories are welcome, but to resurrect a particularly pointless one that took years to kill is just a terrible notion.

Dra--- likes this.
  10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm sure some people still believe it simply because it's not what Lucas did.

Dra--- likes this.
  11. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    We don't care so long as they don't believe it openly on here. :p

Dra--- and darklordoftech like this.
  12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    A Palpatine ghost might be the one thing that the Jedi wouldn't expect. Luke wouldn't be surprised if another Jedi fell or if Palpatine and Vader turned out not to be the only living Sith.

Mystery Roach and Dra--- like this.
  13. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Very true. And the people watching TCW too. As HL&S said recently, they may be trying to throw us off the trail. Hidalgo (or Chee) said it would be an extraordinary event for a Sith to achieve Ghostdom. Strange that they didn't say impossible.

14. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    I have to say it's not strange but expected. Those guys aren't the writers. They wouldn't be arrogant or foolish enough to say that anything is impossible. In fact I'd take "an extraordinary event" as about as definitive language as those guys would ever use.

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    And Palpatine is an extraordinary man.

16. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Probably. But it does leave wiggle room for Palp fans. I'm not one, by the way, but it leaves the possibility open, however improbable.

However, I don't think we should call these chaps arrogant or foolish -- they're the ones in charge of the new canon. If anyone knows about what's coming in the ST, it's them. They're already trying to plan multiple formats around it. :)

17. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    No I'm saying they're not arrogant or foolish, therefore they wouldn't say anything is impossible. Therefore not saying something is impossible isn't significant, IMO.

18. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    It may not be. Or it may be the most significant detail in the world. Time will tell.

We shouldn't say anything's impossible either, right? :cool:

(Unless it truly is.)

19. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    I just drowned in a whirlpool of logic :)

Mystery Roach and Dra--- like this.
  20. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Well sure, but to cheat death? It's debatable. :p

21. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I posted a little thing in the Baddie thread. A Sith Lord commands multiple apprentices who in turn command armies... I'd like to amend it for this thread....

The baddie will be a Sith Lord, who will indeed have many apprentices, who will command armies made up of Palpatine Clones.

So yeah, the original Emperor is dead, but his DNA lives on through the new Sith commanded armies.

Armies of cloned Sidious. It's beautiful. And it would rhyme wonderfully with the PT.

Serious or sarcastic - you decide ;)

Darth Chiznuk , Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  22. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    What if Palpatine was really his own decoy? That would totally throw our heroes for a loop, thinking he died when he actually did.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    How would people have even heard of a "Sidious" before TPM was released?

24. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

The internet was spoiled about a character called "Darth Sidious" by the end of 1997 and early 1998. There was even a description of him.

I myself didn't know about the character until a year later though. Hell, I didn't even see the trailers before TPM came out. But obviously the online community had. I think the first image I saw of Darth Sidious might have been in April of 1999 when I read a Time Magazine article and it showed an image in the character listings of Sidious in hologram form, turned to his side. So all I saw was his nose and he looked like a force ghost. Of course every official source would say that Ian McDiarmid was playing Senator Palpatine, but the actor playing Darth Sidious was elusive.

I didn't do too much investigating (frankly there wasn't much time), but before the movie came out I was worried that Darth Sidious and Senator Palpatine might not be the same. I didn't see the need for some other character looking like the Emperor and not being him, but then again wearing a hood wasn't trademarked I guess. The first time I saw an image of Sidious from the front might have been the back cover of the TPM novel. His clasp was there and that added to the theory that they were the same, but it wasn't until three minutes into my first viewing of TPM that I put my fears to rest and understood what was going on.

Had I actually seen the trailers and heard him speak, I might have came to the conclusion that they were the same sooner.

25. Lord Miggler

Lord Miggler Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 6, 2013
    To answer the OP. God I hope so !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.