main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Of course, this is the same world where Trandoshens and Muuns go from CIS supporters to strong Imperial allies, while loyalist worlds like Kysshk and Utapa are enslaved.

After all, other sources establish that the Umbrans work closely with the Empire after the Clone Wars.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    "Oh, the government we've been fighting this galactic war against is the bad guy now? Quick, we'd better join them!"

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Nobody145, Havac , Revanfan1 and 4 others like this.
  3. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

Sorry, Trandos, you're an "Evil Species" so you have to join the Empire while those lovable and loyal Wookiees get enslaved.

Because if we don't stick to the idea that some species are just evil it might confuse the kids*

*Actual reason a Duros Jedi got spiked from TCW during the second season.

Mia Mesharad, Zorrixor and Revanfan1 like this.
  4. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    THANKS FILONI

5. patchworkz7

Mar 26, 2004

"I want an Aalya Secura, David! I want one NOW!"
    "Yes, George, you can have your very own Aalya Secura."

[​IMG]

ETA: I'm actually totally cool with "this is modern mythology, some things won't fit, don't take it so seriously!"...it's just that coming after a decade of "Everything fits...no, seriously, this is all one story, we wouldn't do it otherwise, and we will fix our mistakes" seems a bit of a cheat.

Start as you mean to go on. The last five years it was still; "We will totally fix this after the show ends."

Whoops.

6. patchworkz7

Mar 26, 2004
    Double post, sorry

7. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    George is super cereal about Star Wars

8. patchworkz7

Mar 26, 2004
    To be fair, George is McDonald's and every author is the guy who created McNuggets.

And if you don't know what clip from the WIRE I'm talking about just go to Youtube and type in "The Wire McNuggets" because I'm not even linking to something that NSFW. Seriously, it's HBO; v. bad language but an important life lesson on why Mr McNugget ain't rich.

DoubleSith and MasterSkywalker86 like this.
  9. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    "Still had the idea, though."

:p

10. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    In the end, I'm just glad they left me enough room still to fix it for myself in my own head without seeming like 'too' much of a piping mad fan. I'm still marathonning most of the old and new stories together in my preferred order now, and I'm enjoying it.

I doubt ep VII-XI will work out so well, but eh. Maybe I can live with that.

11. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Agreed on both counts, but early on when I first got into the EU they were more upfront about it being "quasi-canon" so I always thought they were lying about it being "one story," or at least only believed it was "one story" until Lucas decided to do more films or a TV show. Even before Disney, I thought it was only a matter of time before Lucas did an OT era TV show with the Big 3.

12. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    [​IMG]

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It was undoubtedly because they couldn't work out if Cad Bane was, in fact, a Duros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zorrixor and Havac like this.
  14. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    What's really odd about that is it is not even like TCW had all of a species be good or bad - they had good and evil Zabraks, an evil Gungan, Kaminoans (well, kind of...), Twileks, Bardottans, Ming Po, Rodians etc.

And Humans of course, though humans are almost always and exception anyway.

15. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Doesn't that contradict the EU?

16. patchworkz7

Mar 26, 2004

Does which contradict the EU?

I'm still not sure why George issued the "no Wookiee Jedi" thing either, or why I've since seen Wookiee Jedi in...iirc, Dawn of the Jedi(?).

Gilroy and others who worked on the show when George got involved have some fascinating stories about him coming in, and I still feel bad for Gilroy spending six months of his life on a story bible that ended up in the trash.

ETA: I don't think he cared about what the EU did, to an extent, because it wasn't "real" in the way the cartoon was since that had his stamp on it.

17. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Skywalker Ranch has been known for issuing very strange instructions or bans without even explaining them. The guards' species in the TPM video game were created only because LFL told them "remove the Gamorreans from the game."

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  18. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Wookiee jedi are too OP

19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Whoh, a trip down Mos Espa memory lane. I didn't know that. And they still haven't established a name for that species yet? Most peculiar.

LelalMekha likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    A wookie padawan was in TCW so who the heck knows about Lucas.

21. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Very few material from the game was referrenced elsewhere, and I think it's a shame. Same goes for other games, including those targetted at children. There's lore to take in any source.

22. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Great interview. He definitely has a very firm grasp of the universe and the characters as far as motivations and politics go. Going in depth about these things with George Lucas actually bore fruit on screen, and although it may have messed with the EU on certain points, it can't be a bad thing when the films are strengthened. They really tried to make strong companion pieces to the films with some of the episodes, and it shows in the final product. It's a shame that most of the writers who write the actual dialogue consistently hack it up.

That's just a brilliant quote. [face_peace]

PS: Rex's reaction to Order 66 should be interesting. Sounds like he's planning (or at least hoping) to use him in Rebels.

23. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Sorry, it's a boards joke. there was a thread about Cad Bane, Duros, and Contradicting the EU...
    That's one of the two proper responses to mentions of Cad Bane or other Duros. The other is "He's Duros." It's even become part of the EU (see: Kenobi), which makes the question more confusing...

24. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    This. Really, really this. I've long since made peace with the idea of separate pieces of the EU fitting into different puzzles instead of into the same one, but I think I would have done so even earlier if they had just said as much from the beginning. Tons of comic franchises have a filmverse and/or TVverse that's separate from their comicverse, and to be honest, I really don't think that SW book sales would have dropped if the powers-that-be had admitted that not everything was going to fit together perfectly. We're the only people who care about that stuff, guys. The average consumer who says "Ooooh, Star Wars. My kid will love it" doesn't give a crap. And to be honest, we've had a pretty big sense of entitlement about it for a long time and have been badly in need of a reality check.

What's sad is that if the Disney buyout hadn't happened, they'd likely still be saying "Trust us, this will all fit at the end!" despite knowing damn well that it wouldn't.

25. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Followed by, "How do the EU get out of this one" (question marks frowned upon). That's the Cad Bane EU Contradiction full course meal. Bon appetit

There has a always been an effort to make things fit, at least. I do not know if this is true still, but it has been true for 20 years. Whenever there were contradictions, there was an effort to iron them out in this or that publication. Even when there wasn't a real effort, there was the pretense of an effort. As in, TCW screws with the Nightsisters? Good excuse to put them in that new Sith gimmick book and in the process help the new version's discrepancies work with older sources.

I appreciate even the pretense of an effort to make things work. I am simply not going to buy something that isn't "supposed" to be an actual continuation of the story I like. If the people putting it out won't even pretend it's supposed to be part of the same story as the source it's spun off of, why the hell should I bother? I don't know about American comic book franchises, because their lack of coherence makes zero sense to me (plus, muscular men in tights? I can see why women need to be overly sexualized in superhero comics :p) so that I actually do not bother. (I do love continuity-obsessed Don Rosa's Uncle Scrooge, though, which is technically American comics.) But pretending that's it's the same story does matter. That's why you see "The official continuation, authorized by X author's estate" on the covers of books written as sequels to famous novels (like the brilliant Time Ships by Stephen Baxter). It actually helps sell them.