main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Your predictions about the reception of the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Real sets, as opposed to sets created in a computer, doesn't automatically translate to "more realistic" (and certainly not "better"), but it avoids the danger of something looking too much like a cartoon or video game. Such was probably a criticism that some had for some parts of the PT (Theed City and the pod race terrain come to mind). Personally, the only things I felt were cartoonish were many of the CGI creatures. I had no problem with the sets, however, with maybe the exception that TPM Coruscant looked a bit too much like a moving concept drawing than an actual place. Again, though, I would bet good money that the ST worlds had already been decided upon before JJ stepped up, so as long as he's dedicated to making the sets look real enough not to distract from the story, I don't care how he does it.

Oberst Hans Landa likes this.
  2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    A little less CGI, and perhaps some WETA like bigatures would be great for the ST.

3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Personally speaking I'm not sure how the Podrace looks anymore like a video game than the battle of Yavin or the battle of Hoth (other than the technology for both getting close to photorealism) but that's just me. I agree that some of the CGI creatures didn't work, but I think that's all part of letting the imagination go. And as I've mentioned in other threads, I'm perplexed as to why films like Iron Man, Marvel Avengers, Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, Gravity etc. get a pass for using such technology, but Star Wars seems to have different rules applied. I think a lot of it is just that Star Wars is so 'high profile' it gets scrutinised in ways most other films do not.

Darkslayer likes this.
  4. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Oh you mean, like the Prequels. I get it now! Even Llama Su's office was a model. That one even had me stumped. It didn't have to be real but there it is; hand crafted, painted, and lit.

5. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    It does surprise me that people are unable to differentiate between model work and actual CGI... and that they then want to reduce it all to a degrogatory "it's all/mostly CGI" type comment. Perhaps it's actually a compliment that people can't tell the difference and that, for the most part, the prequels were able to integrate live action/sets, model work and CGI quite seamlessly?

I think the thing that is most apparent are the CGI aliens a la San Hill, Poggle, Wato etc. but for me I preferred Wato, CGI Yoda, Dex etc. to Nute Gunray, puppet Yoda, Mas Amedda... which maybe shows that when it comes to alien characters, it's not how they are achieved per se (costume, puppet or CGI) but rather the actual characterisation/personality imbued that's more important?

6. Cyreides

Cyreides Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 19, 2014

Oh, well that's news to me. Thank god.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm predicting upper 70's low 80's on RT.

8. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    WETA and Star Wars? WHERE DO I SIGN?!?!?

because we're nerds.[/quote]

Geeks, please

Smile_youS.O.B likes this.
  9. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Agreed. As someone who works with teens ages 11-17 on a weekly basis, they for the most part don't care about the ST. And it's almost all due to the lackluster PT. They know Anakin and Dart Maul but remember precious little about the actual story of the PT. Now will they see the ST? I'm sure. Once the trailers roll out in summer 2015 it will grab their attention. But there is no buzz or excitement about Ep 7 at all.

Oberst Hans Landa likes this.
  10. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    Green_Destiny_Sword Not outside the hardcore SW fanbase, at least. And why would there be any buzz or excitement at this point? There's actually nothing to be excited about, if you're a casual moviegoer or casual SW fan. [face_dunno]

11. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Sorry but I think that is anecdotal tosh... My girlfriend is a teacher and her pupils (the boys) love the PT, TCW and Star Wars Lego... see an anecdotal rebuttal ... ;)

I think there's no buzz about the ST because there is nothing about the ST to feel a buzz about... at the moment...

12. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    There's no buzz about the ST because there's no real information about it. We still don't even know when it takes place, for Yoda's sake.

FRAGWAGON, Darth Raiden and Darth PJ like this.
  13. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

There seems to be a real drive to change that though, as pretty much all new Star Wars ..... stuf, is more OT based and themed then PT.

The new Fantasy Flight RPG is set during the OT. The X-Wing game has only OT era ships. The LCG is completely OT themed. The PT cartoon was canceled and replaced with a more OT themed one. The focus in comics and novels seems to have shifted way back to the OT characters. Most of the new toys I see is mainly OT based. Most of the new stuff I see from Side Show is OT themed etc...

14. skyrimcat9416

skyrimcat9416 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2013
    I think one big reason there isn't much excitement for the ST is because not everyone is even sold on the idea of an ST. Most people think the main story has already been told which is Episodes I-IV. The Saga ended perfectly with Return of the Jedi.

Add that and the fact that Lucas is not even making the new movies and Lucasfilm is now owned by Disney. There are many mixed reactions about this whole thing.

15. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Yeah there probably is a certain general cynicism about the results of this franchise being milked by a corporation like Disney, and the fact that on the surface more additions to this story seem rather unnecessary doesn't help. To be honest, that was my exact first reaction and it's never quite left the back of my mind.

But by the time the film is released, the hype will be there for sure.

16. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014

Youre saying Episodes I-III have different rules applied? All movies responsible get the frequent complaint of too much CGI, but in the case of Iron Man, Avengers, Harry Potter the CGI was actually well done cos there were lots of sets/locations used and most of the time the CGI is undetectable. There's a difference between doing CGI well, and overusing CGI and doing it poorly.
    In the case of the AOTC, ROTS without even exaggerating everything is shot against green screen and way too much CGI was used which was not convincing. Its not even entirely Lucas' fault. This was the early days of 'realistic CGI' and digital filmmaking and Digital Camers/ILM have come a long way since then

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Whether you think the CGI was not convincing is your opinion (for the large part, I disagree), but your statement saying "In the case of the AOTC, ROTS without even exaggerating everything is shot against green screen" is just incorrect. It has been well documented that the PT utilized just as many physical sets and props as the OT.

18. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Sets but with CGI backgrounds & not as much location shooting (except TPM)

19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012

The film crew didn't actually go to a swamp when filming the Dagobah scenes or go to a city in the clouds. Those were sets and the only difference is they used different techniques to extend them. Same with many of the barge shots, the Emperor's throne room, the various spaceships, etc. in ROTJ.

Dra---, Mystery Roach and EHT like this.
  20. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    They didn't go to a city in the clouds!? Damn I was sure they did.
    Thanks, I was aware of that. However they did go to Tunisia, Norway, Death Valley, Calif redwood forests etc. The amount of location shooting & screen time is way higher in the OT than Ep's 2 & 3. In fact 3 didn't have any location filming apart from some lava shots that were composited. The final shot on Tatooine was filmed during Ep 2.

21. SimitarLikeTusk

Mar 10, 2014

Sorry but you are just completely wrong.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Awesome... so your shtick on here is going to be baiting, trolling, and PT bashing. Good to know in advance. Thanks for not taking too long to let us know why we will probably eventually be banning you. The suspense was overwhelming...

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Another comment like this to me or anyone else on here and you'll be enjoying a vacation from the boards.

24. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Or to put it another way....only a Sith deals in absolutes.

25. SimitarLikeTusk

Mar 10, 2014
    cmon guys i edited it quickly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.