main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Trio of new leads: discussion about the dynamic of what this means

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Luukeskywalker, Mar 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Yesterday LFL revealed amongst other tidbits that Episode VII will feature a trio of new leads. That essentially means that this new trilogy will feature its own version of Luke, Han, and Leia and of Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Padme. Its pretty clear there will only be 3 leads by the press release.

I think before, many of were thinking Luke might have a kid, Han and Leia might have a kid or two, plus there might be another lead that is unrelated. Someone also needs to serve as a love interest, etc. Really, for all we knew the main cast was going to number as many were in The Fellowship in LOTR.

Assuming the rumors are true that Luke`s kid will be the main protagonist and get top billing, that only leaves room for 2 more leads. You have to assume Han and Leia have at least one kid. It wouldnt make sense for Luke to have a kid and Han and Leia not to have any kids especially given that their love relationship is well established by the end of the OT while Luke still had no one by the time the OT ended.

You would also have to figure that the 3rd lead is an unrelated character that they meet along the way or something along those lines.

I think my bet for how the leads will end up being is this:

Main protagonist- Luke`s son
    Friend of main protagonist- male possibly played by one of the black actors
    3rd lead- Han and Leia`s daughter, possible love interest for #2 lead

That also brings up the question. Does Han amd Leia have any other kids? Could there be another son/daughter of theirs that is more of a secondary/supporting role? Would this smaller role be because they arent as important to the story? Maybe they are killed early on which sets things in motion?

If the 12 Years A Slave actress is really up for the lead female role, does that mean the Han and Leia offspring role is a son instead of a daughter? Or could two of the 3 leads be female?

Lets discuss all of these possibilities in this thread.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

2. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013
    At this point though, there is nothing to base assumptions on.

Its also been said/reported that Han and Leia's kid(s) have been turned into supporting characters, its possible none of the 3 leads would be a Solo.

dolphin likes this.
  3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I'd imagine the offspring of both Luke, Han/Leia to be the main protagonists... this family connection would also allow them to play out a bit of sibling rivalry, which can always be an interesting thing. At this moment, I still have a feeling that Luke's 'son' will in fact be a 'daughter'. The reason I say this is that most rumour/speculation appears based on potential male leads... and I can see a female lead sneaking in under the radar.

Dra--- likes this.
  4. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I think we need to establish what Disney meant by "lead". Does it mean protagaist / antagonist or does it mean something else. Yesterdsay's statment is not entirely clear.

5. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think it probably means the central 3 characters... and that they are 'probably' the protagonsists (although anything is possible).

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  6. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    This is pretty much the purpose of the Casting Rumors thread isn't it?

7. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    It's not speculating on who would be playing the leads, it's speculating on the characters. So, no.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  8. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I think there's a very strong possibility that we'll be getting a trio dynamic that much more closely matches that of the OT than the PT, with the primary and secondary protagonists being the children of Luke and Leia/Han (it makes the most sense) and the tertiary protagonist being someone they meet along their journey and who fills the 'Han' role.

9. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Assuming we will have one or more offspring of the OT3 and that some sort of romantic theme is put in there, it's hard to imagine more than one offspring in the trio of young leads.

Unless they will take the Frozen approach and make it about sibling love/rivalry/angst. Interesting how the supposed re-write of the script was announced at the time Frozen came out.

10. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Everything is based on assumptions.

Currently, anything post-RoTJ is potentially dead - Luke might not even have offspring or be married. Remember, Episode VII is an original story.

KevinM1 likes this.
  11. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    It can certainly work if 2 of the 3 leads are offspring of the OT3, then the 3rd lead could romance one of them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

12. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Luke having a child...did I miss something? Jedi aren't supposed to have children.

Jedi Knight Fett and Bob Octa like this.
  13. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Jedi weren't supposed to have children.

KevinM1, JainaSoloYJK, Dra--- and 3 others like this.
  14. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    The jedi celebacy rule went up in smoke alongside the Jedi Temple.

Dra---, Ryus, Jobertus and 2 others like this.
  15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Exactly. And yet Luke and Leia were born. :D

16. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007

It'll be interesting to see how much "old knowledge" Luke has been able to find over the preceding 30 years that tie him into the dogma of the Old Republic Jedi Order. I think he'll take a drastically different approach to how he implements and "passes on what he has learned".

Frankly, I think Lando's daughter is going to be one of the leads along with a Skywalker child who gets awfully close to the dark side....

17. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Interesting. What evidence do you have to support that?

18. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    OK, let's discuss possibilities. There will be a trio of main heroes. Basically, no surprise there, PT and OT had their ones.
    For the first member, I'd put my money on Luke's son. The existing trilogies followed a male Skywalker, they'll probably continue that with Anakin's grandson and Luke's son. Although I have nothing against Luke's daughter; is Lucas courageous enough to put the ST on a female lead's shoulders?
    The second member should be Leia's and Han's kid (or a teenager or younger adult, 20-25 years old). I find that character necessary not only because it would be, after the OT trio, another family connection between the main heroes, but it would give OT's Han's and Leia's romance a big follow-up, the thing you can point at and say: That's why they were together.
    And the third member... Another Skywalker or Solo offspring? Hardly. Love interest for the first two members? I doubt that the love triangle would work. Someone's master, like Kenobi in the PT? I have nothing against that. A friend of the first two, one who's not a Jedi but handles some street-wise survival skills with some underworld connections? That would work great.

19. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    My bet is three human characters being the 'three new leads'

I know... I'm living dangerously. :cool:

20. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    As a Han and Leia fan I desperately want at least one of the main trio to be their son/daughter. I think it does their relationship a severe disservice if this isn't the case. So I'm hoping for one Solo kid, one Skywalker kid and the other unrelated. I would make a guess and say that the Skywalker and Solo kids would be of the same sex, and the third unrelated lead be of the opposite sex, thus creating some romantic tension and rivalry :)

21. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Skywalker son, solo daughter, and another unrelated character would be perfect.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Please don't all three be Jedi. [face_praying] The Jedi are just a part of the Star Wars universe. It's not all about action and swordplay (click link). Star Wars is so much more.

Well, look at who we're talking about here. Having children/relations wasn't the only thing Anakin did that he wasn't supposed to do. :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014
    This is fun! OK, I'll bite.

A lot has been said about Star Wars being the story of the Skywalker family. But I think, more than that, it is the story of a boy plucked from obscurity to become someone great (for good or evil). Therefore, I do not believe the lead role will be the son of Luke Skywalker (as anyone known to be the son of the galaxy's greatest hero would, by necessity, be anything but obscure). I also base this guess on the November call sheet, which read that it was a search for lead roles and described "Thomas" as someone who grew up without a father. Also, I don't think they'll give Luke a kid without an already-established love interest (if he had a wife, even one who'd already died, the audience would be too curious about her, making the filmmakers feel like they have to spend time explaining her that they don't have to spare). Lastly, the five actors supposedly up for the part are multi-racial.

Therefore, I think the lead role will be an unrelated young male, black or white, who doesn't know what his future holds until he is chosen and trained by Luke to become a Jedi.

As for the female of the trio, I think she will be non-human (Twi'lek or Togruta), based on the "open to all ethnicities" part of the casting call. Cynical, I know, but this is Hollywood. Also, a cute alien girl makes for good merchandising. I think she will be the "Han Solo" of the group, based on the character description for "Rachel": Tough, uses humor and guts to get by, trying to make her way in the world, etc.

So, second guess: A female, witty, non-human. Maybe a smuggler or a thief. Willing to bet she will become the love interest of one of the other two leads.

Lastly, I think the third lead will be the son of Han and Leia. I think he will be male because the main reason Disney bought the franchise was to appeal more to boys, so they won't make 2/3 of the starring trio female. I think he will be a Solo because their marriage almost necessitates the inclusion of their child, whom the audience will want to know a lot about and for that reason will become a main character. He'd be the right age and right in the thick of things, due to his family ties, so I can't see him not becoming a main character.

So, last guess: A male human, Solo child. Grew up privileged because his parents are government leaders. Probably wants nothing more than to live up to their legacy.

24. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    Well a trio of characters is certainly a big thing these days huh? I mean look at the Harry Potter films, there's a famous trio there also! I'd prefer it if there was a love triangle situation, it should be subtle like in Empire for sure. I'm willing to bet we'll have two men and a chick here, but I would love to see it the other way around. Would be an interesting shift if done right.

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Lurknomore : We're glad you're no longer just lurking. :p

Lurknomore likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.