main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    @ Dark Lord Tarkas: That sentiment is one I try to convey all the time perceptions vary and that's okay. It is simply that what I have seen so far of TCW doesn't give me much hope I'll like it over all yet I may strive to watch it all just to see if I can make sense of it. :p I may like *something*

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  2. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

Well, when I first saw this show (I was revising for an exam, got bored, switched the TV on, went through the listings and saw Star Wars: The Clone Wars on Cartoon Network). I'm sure it was a Tuesday and it was about 12:15pm. I thought lets see what this is about. It was the adverts, but when the episode came back on... it was Landing at Point Rain and I was hooked. I ended up watching the next episode Weapons Factory after that. And then instead of revising for the rest of the afternoon I proceeded to read up all about the show all the episodes, everything and then I bought the blu-rays that very afternoon. I think it was fate that I liked this show :p But certainly it isn't for everybody but the show got more and more interesting and darker as it went on. Season 1 is like a fluffy bunny compared to the dark stories and themes that are part of Season 4, 5 and 6.

Dark Lord Tarkas and Seerow like this.
  3. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, you! Anakin has had more then enough screen time. Time for sexy Aayla!

An Aayla Secura vs Ventress episode was just begging to get made!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    hlc88: Frankly I think I'll find S1 dull. Just finished the arc you suggested. I'll send you a PM. I will likely not take the stance you may expect.

5. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

S1 is my least favourite series. Interesting...

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    But his ass has not.

Season 2 is better.

I'm with Darth Zandalor in that season 5 can go die in a fire, but if you like the really serious stuff you might prefer it to the earlier seasons.

7. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    It does seem so from my exposure to both now, I agree. Yes, seemingly unlike many I prefer the serious side of things.

8. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    anakinfansince1983, Anakin certainly WAS an ass for turning to the Darkside during the Mortis Malarky.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    With "dumb" as a prefix.

10. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I don't think that will help.

11. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I think S5 is better than S1 but not for only serious-content reasons. The youngling arc was fairly light-hearted but it delved deeper into Jedi lore by showing some ancient parts of the lightsaber construction process presumably all Jedi of this era went through, and S1 stayed away from Jedi lore like that.

12. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Just binged on TCW on Netflix. Started last Friday and just watched the last episode of S6. Never saw a single episode during it's run.

I really liked this series. All in all, it was fun.

Perhaps having the ability to watch a season almost continuously, instead of watching week to week, added to the joy. There were definitely some eps that I didn't care for (The Droid Adventure and Jar Jar centric ones) but I overall enjoyable. Dug the aesthetic, the different world designs. Loved how they handled some elements that tied back into the prequels. Clearly it's a cartoon intended for kids (at times, and yet has a lot of cartoon violence and mature themes). Some of it was rather silly and repetitive. Sometimes it felt like the Jedi forgot they even had force powers. lol

That said, I really liked Anakin's characterization…he was portrayed as a hero, someone trying very much to do what was right, a friend and Jedi Knight, who also happened to be impatient, headstrong, and will to do anything to accomplish his goals. He also clearly lost it in a few episodes. I can see how that would lead to his downfall. I like that they left the bratty, creepy, brooding, Anakin we got in the movies.

Favorite eps: (I don't remember the specific names/titles)
    Mortis Arc
    Witches of the Mist Arc
    Calarmari Underwater War Arc
    Slaves
    Savage/Maul Arc
    Wrong Jedi
    Yoda's Destiny Arc

13. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Ah, I finally find an ep I've heard about and want to see and have a half chance of appreciating! :D I am now going to watch Heroes on Both Sides.

14. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    "Light-hearted" = Grievous grabbing a clone trooper and forcing him to the ground by his neck, audibly snapping it in the process.

Oh, and "I have my eyes set on more nefarious criminals than I; a businessman who will pay handsomely for a Jedi. A female Jedi at that." Uh, that line sends shivers down my spine.

15. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Well score one for TCW! Out of the ten odd eps I saw today I actually like Heroes on Both Sides! =D= Nice to finally see them humanise the 'enemy' and admit things are grey.

16. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    For one episode, at any rate; after that it's back to mustache-twirling villainy.

Iron_lord and Force Smuggler like this.
  17. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    So say many I'm not convinced. Even if they try to force it in TCW which they probably will, I'll just continue ignoring it. I don't buy this lame forced black/white view like most seem to not when all are shown plainly to be grey.

18. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    There's plenty of violence in early seasons too, that's not how I judge serious versus light-hearted.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The serious stuff that I hate is probably better defined as "pretentious."

If the writers' goal is to create something that can be analyzed through every circle of hell in a Lit or film appreciation class, I'll probably hate it.

20. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Violence is likewise not how I judge serious or light-hearted. I judge that by tone of presentation. I like serious stuff. I don't like what I consider pretentious but I'm finding what I consider anything next to basically anyone on this board usually differs so I don't know if I'd consider pretentious what Anakinfan does or light hearted what Dark Lord Tarkas does. I'd guess some yes, some no.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    As soon as someone throws out the words "theme" and "tone" and "imagery"...or even better, "symbolism"...I'm gone.

[C3PO]"It's a nightmare!!!"[/C3PO]

22. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    If you say so.

I'm getting a kick out of seeing Nightsisters again. I see I have seen it before. Love seeing Dooku fight blind in nightclothes and still handle himself well. I also like the space sequences. Otherwise still not much of interest yet.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The Nightsisters arc was made of awesome, swaddled in more awesome and had a cherry of awesomeness on top.

24. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I may well agree. I have to finish it though. :p

25. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I'm guessing you were absolutely thrilled at examining Shakespeare in meticulous detail in English Lit?

Personally, I like all that stuff, but you shouldn't need to be told about it or have the symbolism be smashed into your face. Ideally, the story should work at a fundamental level too. You should be able to just watch and enjoy it, but also dive into the details if you so desire.