main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I agree 100%.

I'm just hoping/expecting that the new novels, comics, etc are all actually meaningful in some way. Even if huge events don't happen in them. Maybe they help add depth to things like TCW did for the PT.

StoneRiver, Ryus and Circular Logic like this.
  2. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

Indeed. I am very excited to see how it pans out. Especially in regards to things like video games. The nature of games makes it hard for them to be canon when connected to outside sources such as movies and novels. They will have to strike a balance between giving the player certain freedoms and maintaining a consistency toward canon. In just about every game you are the absolute best of the best of whatever character that you are playing story-wise. Or at least you grow to be.

I think back to the problems that they had with TFU. I personally enjoyed the theme of the stories, but the character of Starkiller was a bit overpowered for my tastes. They wanted badly to make that story canon. I think that it even was considered to be canon for a while.

Anyways, my thoughts are jumbling. Just trying to say that games may be difficult and I might even suggest a hope that they will remove games from the media that they want to meld with the canon.

Iron_lord, Ryus and Dra--- like this.
  3. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Yeah, you know, I never considered the problems posed by video games in relation to narrative. I never thought that the video game abilities would necessarily be equated to canon abilities by fans/players. But I guess I understand why fans would expect Starkiller (or whoever) to be as powerful in books and TV as he was in video games.

I don't know what the solution is in this case. Either they make the characters' abilities exactly the same in all media, or people just accept that video game abilities don't extend to the rest of the formats. IDK.

TheBBP likes this.
  4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, again in case anyone has missed it: Canon rules and policy

You're right, discussing canon in a friendly manner is fine... and just FYI, debating or arguing about canon has been against the rules already; that didn't change with our updated policy.

And before anyone starts arguing about that Hidalgo tweet mentioned above again, yes, we know he deleted his account since then, and yes we still think it was really him saying that.

Jedi Merkurian and Dra--- like this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Star Wars Fact File relaunch (started this January) included articles on number of TFU things - PROXY in particular.

Dra--- likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I will say, it mentions in the thread that everything is canon "right now" and waiting on an official Lucasfilm statement on canon...but what if that twittering is all we get? Does that count as the official statement?

TheBBP and Dra--- like this.
  7. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    For some people it might not, but most people these days accept tweets as real communication.

If Obama, for example, says something via tweet, it's reasonable to assume that's his authentic beliefs. The lines between "official" and "non-official" are more blurred than ever. But even off-the-cuff remarks by politicians and celebrities have always caused trouble for them when controversial or newsbreaking.

Hence, the biggest indication that tweets contain real information in them is that people have to sometimes retract the statements they made, or contextualize them when misunderstood.

So it would be helpful if we have an official announcement, but it's certainly not necessary imo.

Still, in this case, I think we will get an official statement at some point. They've made so many announcements about the Story Group it would be odd if they didn't announce something to us.

Jedi Merkurian , EHT and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Well, it says everything should be considered canon right now. But I think Dra--- summed it up well. Basically the policy as we have it worded now stands until something else official comes along... be it more tweets or an official SW.com announcement. At that time we can add to what we have, modify it as needed, etc. I think we'll probably hear more soon enough, as Rebels starts airing, the movies get closer, and new novels, etc. start getting announced.

Iron_lord, Dra--- and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  9. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

Its questionable already if that stuff really fits with contunity. Lucas and Lucasfilm have NEVER been that worried about keeping bioware (who no longer wants to do lienced games) or EA or anyone else happy and just do their own thing.

Ryus likes this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Meh, I've always said it'd be really difficult to completely erase the 1000+ years pre-TPM from continuity, even if they start making movies in that era, you can always move the KOTR stuff even further back in the timeline. Unlike the majority of the EU, It's so disconnected from the movies timeline all you have to do is add a few zeroes.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Plus it isn't just the games - it's the toys - they've sold a lot of TFU and TOR merchandise.

12. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    From Joe Corroney's FB page, he's a good friend of Pablo Hidalgo

Joe Corroney Going out on a limb here (not really) but I believe Lucasfilm is having to change, after, adapt, redefine, erase, etc. (some or all of the above) the EU based on the script and story treatments coming from Disney production (JJ, Kasdan). I don't think LFL is interested in nuking and paving thirty years of dedicated EU like a corrupted hard drive for the fun of it. The new movies being created by Team Disney are dictating the new direction of the franchise and all previous and upcoming spinoff material. LFL will be salvaging as much of what they can from the EU I'm sure.

13. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

Its the easist thing in the world to erase the pre-TPM stuff.

Moving itback further just makes it make less sense. Thats one thing I always hated about it, and why it really should just be alternate universe stories. So in 4,000 years weapons, ships, droid etc... tech has barely advanced? That makes ZERO sense.

14. Brookstone

Brookstone Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 10, 2014

I think they will salvage what they like not necessarily what they can. As an EU subscriber since I was a whee lad I feel like this a lot lately

15. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    So Disney has confirmed Episode VII to take place 30yrs after Episode VI ( 34 ABY ).....funny enough there is a gap in the EU Timeline at 34ABY as the Dark Nest Crisis starts at 35ABY & nothing from 29ABY - 34ABY so the fact is Episode VII will take place before the Legacy era so assuming that will all be re-written so will we start at 34ABY with all the characters of the EU intact ? Jaina & Jacen both 25yo & Ben 8yo ( same age approx. as Anakin in EP1 ) not likely is it so really the EU is complete toast from 4ABY & every single character is thrown out & looked upon as some alternate timeline !......

Ryus likes this.
  16. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Hey, this means Mara Jade is alive! I can tease her haters now! :p

Even better news, Dark Nest never happens! [face_dancing]

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Applying logic to the Star Wars universe history is never a good path to go down anyway.

18. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    I think being set "30 Years after Return of the Jedi" helps to save a Lot of EU cause of course Luke, Han and Leia fought many battles in that 30 years.

19. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Setting it 30 years after RotJ doesn't strictly mean everything before it is 'saved' and everything after is toast...

They could for instance still say Chewie is alive, the Vong never happened, those aren't the real kids but these new ones are or at least here are their real ages, and then steal concepts from LotF or FotJ. All this means is that stuff taking place after will have to be brought in other ways if they want to save it (changing when it happened or adapting in some elements that took place after for example) and stuff taking place before is still subject to change until further notice.

Now could it mean that they can save a lot of EU, yes. Does it mean they will, not at all... just could. I'm a big EU fan and want a lot of it saved but I can't go celebrating just yet just based on the set time period.

Note I'm not saying what is or isn't canon, just that we can't say what is or isn't based solely on the timeline...

20. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

There is a way to tell a good, fantasy/sci-fi story while not ignoring/forgoing logic. And having the univesre basically stagnate for 4,000 years? Come on.

21. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

Only if they plan on using the versions of Luke, Han and Leia created by those EU stories, the new characters created by them, and the universe created by the events in the EU, which is doubtful.

StoneRiver, Lurknomore and Jobertus like this.
  22. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Though I am pessimistic, I really hope they manage to save some of the EU. I bought all of this SW EU material because I believed everything would live in a single continuity.

Otherwise maybe the destruction of the DSII and its subsequent explosion was so powerful it sent ripples throughout the timeline changing events in the past and the future;)

werpudel and Iron_lord like this.
  23. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

Changing the continuity doesn't change your enjoyment of the material.

Beezer and fishtailsam like this.
  24. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Who are you to say it won't change their enjoyment of it? [face_shame_on_you]

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

The story still exists, the words are all the same, the characters are the same, the story and plot elements the same etc..... Nothing has changed in regards to the story that you (or anyone else) read and enjoyed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.