main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Harrison Ford (Han Solo) in TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Mar 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    No, Calista is just turned sideways behind the pole,,, ;)

2. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

But if he's had a personal breakdown - say, him and Leia split 15 years after RotJ when the kids are in their early teens - it is totally plausible that he may turn his back on the military and start frequenting establishments of low moral fibre and smuggling again. And before people start going on about how will the audience know, it can be explained very easily and quickly in a convo between Leia and one of the now grown up kids.
    And if he returned to being a scoundrel (with a heart) it wouldn't diminish his arc through the OT. People learn and better themselves, go through a problem and lose the qualities they gained, and then they come through it the other side smelling of roses. That's life. That's an interesting life story. Imagine the Solo arc as more than just the OT - it would be pretty boring if he just went from scoundrel to nice to nicer to nicer still to nicest. I want to see ups and downs, peaks and troughs. Not just in his arc, but in general. Also, it wouldn't be a regression if he was a down and out - we've never seen him in that state. [face_peace]

OUCH! :p

3. Vicious Jedi

Vicious Jedi Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2012
  4. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014

I sort of find it disrespectful that they would bring back an older version of a beloved character just to kill him off.
    It would be completely unnecessary. Killing Luke or Leia is different cos they can Obi Wan it up

5. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Apparently the contract dispute between Ford & Lucasfilm is due to Ford's insistence that Han Solo would now wear an earring. Let's hope it gets resolved soon.

JainaSoloYJK and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    He may be taking the space pirate thing a bit too literal, these days...

J_Girl, Dra---, Iron_lord and 4 others like this.
  7. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Maybe he wants a puffy shirt too.

TKT and Darth_Articulate like this.
  8. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    And a peg leg.

Also, Chewbacca is now a parrot.

StoneRiver and Iron_lord like this.
  9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Picturing Chewbacca trying to sit on Han's shoulder.

10. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Now there's a mental image....[face_hypnotized]

*Googles 'parrot Chewbacca' *

Mystery Roach likes this.
  11. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    "would somebody get this big flying carpet outta my way"

12. Spork111

Spork111 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2002
    [​IMG]
    Han Solo in Episode VII. You're welcome. ;)

13. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    What sacrifices he is willing to make for his art. Such dedication to the role.

15. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
  16. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    I know we're all (?) excited about the Big3 reprising their roles in the ST, but sometimes I wonder if we'd actually like an older Han. Make no mistake, at 60 or 70 you're never the same person you were back when you were in your early or mid 30's. Part of the appeal of Han Solo was his being a greedy smuggler, at the beginning of ANH, a daring character, self-reliant, somewhat arrogant, one of the last guys you'd expect would settle down and have a family, even if by the end of Episode VI he is totally in love with Leia.

Are we really ready to see Han as a father? Writing an older Han that pleases fans is no small feat, especially if you have to portray him as a guy who's in his 70s or 60s and does and feels and acts the way older people do. Are fans really willing to accept such a character? Or are we all (subconsciously) ready, really ready, to see an older Han? Make no mistake, he won't be the same guy he was in the OT. How could he? Are we ready for that?

I can already imagine the amount of moaning and complaining we'll see if the character does not live up to everyone's expectations, which he won't do, he more than likely won't.

Just wondering.

For me it is easier to imagine an older Luke, than an older Han. Say what you will, but Luke is the sort of guy I can definitely picture as a man in his 60s, wiser and with a family. That's why I said it'd make more sense for Han and Leia to be separated and for Han to sorta still be doing what he did when he was younger, but in a smaller scale. Or a guy who's not still a smuggler, but who's on his own, doing his thing.

I mean, I fear that if they give us a father Han type of character, a man who's been changed by family and his marriage to Leia, fans will complain that that is not Han, even if they think they're willing to accept an older Han.

But maybe a divorced/separated Han would be easier for fans to accept, because that'd still be consistent with the guy he was in ANH and maybe the guys he's always been, you know...

Any thoughts on this?

17. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    That would introduce an element of "drama" that is best left outside the SW universe. Otherwise, SW starts to look like the intergalactic "As the World turns."

18. Oberst Hans Landa

Feb 12, 2014
    Not necessarily. It's been 30 years since the events we saw in ROTJ. In 3 decades, Han and Leia could've gotten married, divorced and gotten over each other. Things can change a great deal in 30 years. Think about it. It's not 5, not 10, not 20, not 25, but 30 years.

I know a couple of people who've been divorced for more than 10 years and there's no tension or drama between them and their former spouses.

19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I think the fans would complain more if Han and Leia weren't together than they would if Han isn't the same guy he was in A New Hope (he wasn't in ESB or ROTJ either, by the way).

You should give us fans the benefit of a doubt here - most of us are probably well aware that people change with age. However, most people don't turn into completely different persons just because the grow old. Han can still be witty, sarcastic and a bit of a rogue, without having to revert into some fanboy fantasy of returning to square one. Just add some grumpyness, and the heart he started to show in the original trilogy and the fans will love him, just as they always have - even if he's older and a family man.

J_Girl, Darth_Pevra, Yanksfan and 6 others like this.
  20. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    I'm totally ready to see an older Han, who is a husband and father and seeing how this has changed him. I certainly don't want to see an older Han who has slipped back into his old ways just to make things "more exciting". We've already seen him like that, let's see him as something different. To me, that's a lot more exciting. And just because he's married with kids doesn't mean he has to be boring.

21. jedilips

jedilips Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2013
    I wouldn't mind if the big 3 were somehow splintered and separated and some tragic event to start VII has to bring them all back together. I'm not tied to the idea that Han and Leia lived happily ever after. Deep down, I have hopes that this episode will be a "get the band back together" revenge tale ala Unforgiven, but I know my expectations are out of whack.

StoneRiver likes this.
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Anyone who made it through ROTJ with their Han fandom intact can probably survive "married, dad" Han.

23. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    That won't be a problem - have you seen his most recent performances? :p

JainaSoloYJK and Mystery Roach like this.
  24. Oberst Hans Landa

Feb 12, 2014
    I am not underestimating anyone, TigerCraneFist. You sound like a very mature SW fan, who's willing to accept change. But sometimes I wonder if the unwillingness to accept change, which is one of the reasons the PT backfired on a lot of people, will also affect their perception and aceptante of an older Han. Even if you're right when you say most people don't turn into completely different people, we have no reason to think that Han isn't one of those people who do change a lot. Think about this: he is a family man. Do you have kids yourself? I am asking because having kids did change me, a great deal, to the point where I am not the same person I was (I'm in my late 30s) back in 1992, for instance. I'm sure the younger version of myself would be very suprised if she could meet me today.

I am just wondering if most SW fans are really aware of how much these characters may have changed in 30 years. I sense an unspoken assumption that things in the ST will not only resemble and feel like the OT, but that the Big 3's participation in the ST will bring back the glory of their heyday. Make no mistake, I know there are fans out there who are hoping to see Luke, Leia and Han being the same people they were in the OT and that won't happen. How could it? It's been 30 years.

I can tell you're already aware of the obvious changes we will see, but trust me when I say there are fans who haven't even thought about stuff like this, who are not even aware of what 30 years can actually mean for a person in terms of change, basically because they haven't lived 30 years themselves.

Just saying.

I never said we have to accept an older Han, but like I said above, many fans are not even aware of what 30 years can mean in a person's life in terms of change.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The last thing I want to see is the Big 3 being exactly the same characters they were during the OT. Now obviously they should feel like the same people but I expect and want change. That's why I don't want to see Han revert back to his ANH self. It's not that I don't think he'd go through ups and downs in his life (I absolutely expect that he would have) but I don't want to see him dealing with the same problems he had 30 years ago. I want to see him overcome new obstacles. If there's been a relative peace since ROTJ how does an older Han deal with a more settled life? How does he deal with the absence of action in his life? When the new threat reveals itself does he immediately jump into the action and if so when does he realize that he has to take a step back and allow the new characters to come to the forefront? How does he deal with his declining role in events? Those are just some of the things I'd like to see him confront of overcome. So yeah I have no illusions that Han will be the exact same person he was and I fully expect to love the person he's become.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.