main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    So I saw this at my uni's bookshop today...
    [​IMG]

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LMAO. For you Americans who are familiar with Spencer's...that's the only shop I can think of here that would sell something like that. University bookstores here are all computer supplies, notebooks and sweatshirts and pens with logos.

3. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Likewise. But it also seeks novelty stuff like the slippers, and the Game of Thrones board game, and stuff like the miniatures X-Wing thingo from Fantasy Flight that Lit is obsessed with currently. It's a wicked shop.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Well, let me tell you what's driving ol' Seerow's blood pressure through the roof. Said person has been happily borrowing my Amazon Prime account to watch video for a long time. Said person lives in Bumblescrum, Oklahoma. Said person rented a house and asked me if heshe could order a few things for house. I said it was fine so long as they paid with their own card. Sure use my free 2 day shipping. Didn't think anything of it until heshe bought a bigass TV. "Wonder how they are paying for that." I thought and shrugged my shoulders. Then heshe canceled their bank account causing Amazon not to get money before shipping said items to Okalhoma. so Amazon calls me up looking for a couple grand...

5. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    Seerow: Ooopsie. I'd probably harbor fantasies about kicking said person in the hollow of the knee while they're walking down a set of deep stairs or are on an escalator. Do you think you'll get your money back? Or will you have to resort to ... um ... drastic measures?

Today I was all alone at work ... once again. Seems to become a habit now that the corporation is shutting down. Okay, so it has been doomed since 2011, but now the end finally draws nigh. I'm feeling lonelier and lonelier here. It's pretty sad, actually. The only company I've had for the last few days was the guy on my trusty old recruitment poster - he accompanied me from office to office over the course of the last 12 years:
    [​IMG]

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Sgt Crowfield : Sucks about work being lonely. Nice picture of you though.

Seerow : Hope you can get that cleared up and don't have to fork out a couple of grand. I'd drive to Oklahoma and claim the TV.

Seerow and Sgt Crowfield like this.
  7. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    Thanks! It's even worse when you're lonely AND bored out of your mind. There's not much I can do at the moment but wait for the servers to break down - fat chance of that happening now that nearly nobody works on them anymore - , and after I worked through a PYTHON book, listened to 16 GB of music, played a couple of games from 1994 straight from my USB stick and read the whole internet, I started to take selfies with my old friend the recruitment poster out of sheer boredom. Had to take a dozen or so to actually get a nice one .[face_clown]

8. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Anyone on here still play Mass Effect?

I just wrapped up my second PC ME3 playthrough, one which was started on the 24th of May last year. Ten months later, I finally wrapped it up. Feels good to have another timesink ticked off my list of things to do before I start my new job.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    What kind of job?

10. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Graduate trainee in internal audit. I've been unemployed since January and since graduating I've only had a temp job over Christmas. I appreciate all the free time but it'd be nice to move on and get some proper money in the bank.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Glad it came through for you. Good luck. :)

12. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Speaking of graduate work and employment, after many roadblocks and a fair amount of setbacks, I have finally completed every requirement to obtain my Master's degree. It's been a long time coming. [face_dancing] I'll be transitioning to a brief full-time gig at the university as a lab technician so that I can complete a paper for publication (as well as get paid), and then hopefully it's off to the industry. It's a new chapter of my life that I'll be starting, and I'm undoubtedly very excited about it! :D

Also, on somewhat related news, I found out today that President Obama will be the keynote speaker at the commencement of my undergraduate alma mater, taking place in mid-June. Only a few years too late, Mr. President!

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Congrats man. [face_peace] But still, I think nothing beats having Dr. Ruth (a famous sex psychologist) as a commencement speaker, which was at my brother's graduation. :p

14. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Circular Logic likes this.
  15. Sir Chem

Sir Chem Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    Hey cool! What field are you in, if I may ask?

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hey, remember MySpace? Well every now and then I log into my account to lol at how dumb I was back then. But when I logged in today everything was completely different, and I guess they did away with people having their own profile pages. :confused: That, or they deleted everything and forced the 20 people who still use Myspace to reconfigure their page, or something. The only things (on mine at least) that survived were my custom URL, my name (which was fake anyway), and my pictures, which were all fake as well.

Just a little sad that 90% of that hilarious time in my life is gone. :( My friends and I had gotten up to some right funny shenanigans back then.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I had a MySpace account but pretty much never used it. I'm not even sure I remember my password.

18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    My MySpace account was... "Nute Gunray"....:oops:

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    This Made. My. Night.

I need a few bottles on reserve especially for days I have to deal with horse's asses.

[​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I've neighver herd that one before, but you can pass a colt one this way.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I love it when people threaten to talk to their congressman. Because your congressman has nothing better to do than to listen to your petty ranting about overage charges on your cellphone.

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Pretty funny about MySpace and the twenty remaining users, Todd the Jedi . I had an account there for about a day or two before I deleted it. And I've never created an account on Facebook. I use Twitter, but only as a newsfeed, not as a social networking type thing, so I've just never gotten into that social networking concept at all. My most active online social interaction is here, these days. People talk about using Facebook to "keep in touch", but my real life friends and relatives all know my phone number and e-mail address. :p

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I use Facebook because it's easy to talk to a lot of people at once and I hate the phone. And I'm self-centered and believe that everyone on my list needs to know what I'm watching on TV, what cat-related memes I think are funny, and how cute my kids are. :p

I have a Twitter feed for the library and I subscribe to a few library-related feeds there--the public library, American Association of School Librarians, etc. I never got into it for personal use.

Revanfan1 and Sgt Crowfield like this.
  24. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I got a crash course in how to compose a tweet and use Twitter with the post-S5 Google Hangout and Q&A the cast did. I made the account "TaradosGon" mostly because I never intended on using it again and because I'm a closet nerd that didn't want my name associated with asking super geeky questions about a Star Wars cartoon.

It's pretty clear that I am a geek. But usually any geekiness I convey is in regards to just being knowledgeable about random stuff. Like living in Idaho and telling people that Pronghorn Antelope are not really antelope and are more closely related to giraffes. Or discussing history or religion (despite being atheist) for lengths of time.

I don't feel self conscious about any of that.

Sitting down and discussing what I want out of a Man of Steel film or talking Star Wars is something I can only do with a very special person that is equally geeky or via the anonymity of the internet. Or apparently if I've had too much to drink. Because last Thanksgiving I was invited to a coworkers house and one of the other guests mentioned how she was a champ at Star Wars Trivia, and so I had to show her that she was mistaken about a great many things and give her a pop quiz.

She knew more than I'd suspect a lot of average movie goers would know. Like who Ozzel is and Piett, and who Bossk was, despite his name never being mentioned. But she didn't know Anakin's mother's name and pretty much anything from the EU (who is Kit Fisto? Who was Palpatine's master?) went over her head. Which just reinforces the idea to me that when it comes to the EU, members here kind of exist within their own little bubble (and I'm not excluding myself from that) in that we take it for granted stuff is common knowledge because we talk with other people that are as equally geeky as ourselves. But that there are the fans out there that love the films and are more "purists" with things that I take for granted now, like who Kit Fisto is, going completely over their heads because he never said a single thing nor was ever named on screen.

She told me her favorite scene was the Battle of Hoth.

I told her mine was when Jar Jar was named Bombad General.

I could see the attraction extinguished from her eyes right then. That was a good night.

25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    TaradosGon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.