main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Number of Shuttles in ROTJ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Skywalker8921, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    I think that there are only 3 shuttles total (perhaps four) shown being flown in the film, but I'm not certain if it's right or not.

Shuttle 1: Vader's. Seen at beginning of film and during the night and morning landing pad sequences on Endor.

Shuttle 2: Palpatine's.

Shuttle 3: the Tydirium that the Rebels fly to Endor.

Shuttle 4?: The shuttle Luke flies off the Death Star at the end (if not actually Vader's or Palpatine's shuttles. Wouldn't that be ironic, though?)

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It appears to be flying out of a bay intermediate in size between the one Vader lands in at the start of the movie, and the one Palpatine lands in.

3. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Ah, thanks. So four shuttles.

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's possible that Vader took a different shuttle down to Endor (and back) than the one he first arrived in - we can't be sure. Still - I doubt it.

My guess is that Vader tends to stick to the same shuttle (maybe it's his personal one with special upgrades)- but might land in different bays depending on which is most convenient at the time.

I'm told by the EU that the Emperor arrived in the Executor - so we can be fairly sure that it's not the same one Vader uses to get from the Avenger to the Death Star.

While it's possible that there are 4 seen - I'd say 3 is more likely at least.

5. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Crossed my mind too, but there's really nothing to preclude the possibility that Vader uses the same shuttle a majority of the time, especially if, as you said, it's a personal one.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I wonder how the pilots for Vader's shuttle get picked. Probably the short straw.

"You have bounced the landing for the last time, commander!"

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I could see Vader insisting on flying his own shuttle, given that he still pilots a starfighter now and again.

8. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Moving to CT

9. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I couldn't. Too much ego at this point in his life.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually - I was thinking of his ego - he thinks that only one pilot in the whole galaxy is "good enough" to pilot him - and that's him.

11. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    ^ I concur. Why would Vader need someone to fly the ship for him? He's the 'best pilot in the galaxy'. He can fly his own ship.

In my mind, Vader's shuttle is the one we see flying into the Death Star and the one Luke later flies out of. It's symbolic, in a way. Vader flies his shuttle in as Darth Vader, then Luke flies his father's shuttle out, carrying Anakin Skywalker.

Then there's Palpatine's personal shuttle, and the shuttle the rebels use.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Of course he can fly his own shuttle, but the opening scene of RotJ makes it clear that he doesn't. I'm guessing he's using his commute time to play games on his suit's internal visual sensor display.

The_Phantom_Calamari likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Good point. Maybe Vader only personally flies starfighters.

14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

My dining room.

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I see a bunch of 3.5e D&D books - some of which are Forgotten Realms.

16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I don't have every FR 3.5 book, but enough that you could drop me in that world and I would not be lost. Ironically I have never sat and played the pen and paper game with a groupd though I have played other rpgs. That is a Darth maul poster above but it is cut off. McFarlane dragons are there, and the Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy is right between the Shuttle wings.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    At the end of ROTJ, the Rebels have two Imp Shuttles- Tydirium & the one Luke uses to escape DS2.
    RACE THEM!!!!

18. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    I subscribe to the Theory that the Shuttle Luke flies out is Vader's. Luke found his way back to that shuttle because he remembered where it was parked. I just can't believe he just happens across a Bay that has a shuttle.