main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Who knows Vader is Anakin?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Teaviex Cue, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Teaviex Cue

Teaviex Cue Jedi Padawan

Dec 25, 2012
    During the Galactic Civil War, who knows that Lord Vader is formerly Anakin Skywalker, aside from Sidious, Yoda, and Obi?
    I'm sure 501st troopers know... They accompanied Vader in the Jedi Temple massacre which was before he gets his black armor.
    What about Tarkin etc?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Depends who's writing. In Death Star, he doesn't know - but has strong suspicions.

Prince Xizor knows, in SoTE.

3. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    EU aside, the only definites are, as the OP stated, Palps, Obi-Wan & Yoda.
    Bail Organa is all but definitively established as knowing in ROTS. You would think Owen & Beru would be much the same - I'd like to think that Obi-Wan & Yoda wouldn't lie to any of the foster parents of Anakin's offspring, regardless of their position, and also so they would be aware of just how important these children were.

Mon Mothma - maybe, but there's no indication in either the OT or the ROTS deleted scenes that the Jedi were that important to her, nor was she particularly close to Padme, so I'd go with no. Much the same with Tarkin, unless he was privy to Palpatine's earliest machinations regarding Vader.

And as far as the OT is concerned, all other Jedi are meant to be dead, so you'd think that'd be it - Palpatine, Yoda, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Bail Organa, Owen & Beru Lars. No one else needed to know.

(Maybe Cliegg Lars, as well, although I think it's safe to say that he was dead by the time of the OT)

4. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    Obi Wan, Yoda, Palpatine and Bail are 100% for sure.

You can reasonably speculate that Owen and Beru know because as someone else pointed out Obi Wan might want to tell them what they are getting themselves into by taking Luke. Also we get the feeling from ANH that Owen knows something when Beru says Luke's too much like his father: "I know, that's what I'm afraid of". However, with that said is it 100% for sure that they know? I would say not 100% because we don't see an actual exchange of info on screen.

Any other characters knowing past the Lars I would say the odds start falling drastically.

AS far as Troopers of the 501st knowing, I doubt it. He led the assault on the Jedi Temple as far as they know as Anakin Skywalker. They may not have been privy to his Sith name just yet.

5. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I read somwhere that Sidious told everyone that Anakin died defending the Temple/defending him, so as far as everyone not the Lars, Organas, Obi-Wan, Yoda and Sidious know, Anakin Skywalker is dead. He did this to cleanly separate the 'Anakin' identity from Vader so the latter could fully bask himself within the Dark Side.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In Luke Skywalker & the Shadows of Mindor - one of the characters repeats that rumour.

7. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    I know that Vader is Anakin. Does that count?

8. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Isn't R2-D2 supposed to know as well ?

He doesn't have his memory erased at the end of ROTS...But that's not 100% clear.

9. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    I think Tarkin knows. "You, my friend, are all that's left of that religion."

R2 definitely does I would say.

10. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Quite right about Tarkin, he knows Vader was once a Jedi, although when that dialogue was written, Darth Vader was the former Jedi by the name of - Darth Vader. Still fair to say that he knew.

Artoo's knowledge of PT events I'm not so sure about, and although GL has hinted that he knows everything that happened (and gave his account to the Whills for their Journal), his comments have always come across as a bit tongue-in-cheek, so it's unclear just how seriously he's ever regarded the concept.

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Obi-Wan, Yoda, Bail Organa, R2

12. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Roan Shryne, a Jedi Knight, knows. He finds out in the novel, Dark Lord : The Rise of Darth Vader.

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Right before he dies.

Lady_Misty and Darth Dnej like this.
  14. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    Poor guy.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  15. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    How could he not know? He flew with Vader to Mustafar

16. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    He didn't know he was Vader at the time, though.

17. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Question is whether R2 saw the confrontation at the landing platform. I'd say yes. The stories that little droid could tell if he could talk...he's pretty much the only character that knows the whole story.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Supposedly he downloaded the Jedi temple security recordings at some point.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    wow! Wait! What? Anakin is Darth Vader!??!?!?

20. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I like to think that astromechs have a different kind of consciousness and while he is observing these kinds of human relationships and goings on they are just not especially notable to R2. However, in ROTS R2 clearly expresses some concern about Anakin's behavior to C3PO when they meet at Padme's place.

rdhight likes this.
  21. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    There is EU-bound evidence that Tarkin knew; as far as I've read, in the novel Death Star. TCW exposes that Tarkin and Anakin knew each other quite well, seen getting onto the same elevators and such... I think he's sagacious enough to be able to tell.

22. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Yoda, Obi-Wan and Palpatine all know.

Bail I would assume knows, I can't imagine that when Obi-Wan and Yoda saw the security feed and discovered that Palpatine was Sidious and Anakin was his new apprentice Darth Vader that they didn't bring Bail up to speed on that. I would thus think that Mon Mothma also would know from Bail, though whether "Anakin Skywalker" means anything to her is a different question, because unlike Bail and Padme, she was not shown to really interact with the Jedi at all.

I actually would kind of think that perhaps Owen and Beru don't know. Just because it seems less of a burden to tell them that Anakin and Padme died in the war, left a son orphaned, and then give Luke to Owen and Beru. Rather than explaining that Anakin fell to the Dark Side (probably wouldn't mean anything to Owen and Beru anyway) and that there were two kids that were split up and need to be hidden. Vader is not going to be coming for Luke, because he doesn't know Luke was born. So I would think Obi-Wan has no reason to tell Owen and Beru.

I know it gets interpreted that when Owen says "that's what I'm afraid of" that he's referring to Luke going evil. But at the time that dialogue was written, Anakin wasn't even decided by Lucas to be Vader, or so I thought. So I figure he's perhaps just concerned that Luke is going to go on some "idealistic crusade" and get himself killed.

Tarkin I figure almost definitely knows. He knows that Vader was a Jedi, and Vader says that Obi-Wan was his old master. It wouldn't take much effort for Tarkin to do his research and figure out who Vader is. In TCW, Anakin and Tarkin worked together, and Tarkin would have known that Anakin was Obi-Wan's apprentice. Thus he should know - or at least heavily suspect with enough confidence to throw money down in a wager - that Vader is Anakin.

23. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Oh wow, I never thought of that. Just by putting one and one together, Tarkin should have known beyond a shadow of a doubt Vader was Anakin. I mean, it's not like Obi-Wan had another apprentice.

24. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Within the context of the EU, Bail actually does know, but not at the end of ROTS. He finds out later, in the direct sequel novel to ROTS.

But within the film-only canon, I presume he is brought up to speed at the end of ROTS.

25. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Those two accounts don't actually contradict each other - Obi-Wan, Yoda & Bail probably all assumed Anakin/Vader died of his injuries on Mustafar at the end of ROTS. Dark Lord shows them discovering that he didn't.