main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Palpatine is the kind of guy that finds a use for something and then when it ceases to be useful, he casts it aside. Thus at the end of the war when there are non-clones willing to enlist, and this works in Palpatine's favor, and these recruits don't really respect the clones, that Palpatine could just "ditch" the clones abruptly. Maybe have officers distribute commendations to the clones, thank them for their service, but then pretty much just tell them their services will be no longer required and cut them loose.

It would be like Hitler replacing the SA with the SS. The prior was instrumental in his early days, but when they began to create friction with the German military, Hitler sided with the military and replaced the SA with the more obedient SS.

Palpatine has this clone army that he needs for Order 66. He pulls off Order 66 to great success, but post-War clones are no longer needed as patriotic volunteers begin enlisting, and so between the cost of cloning and the lack of appreciation for the clones, I would see it as entirely consistent with Palpatine's character to just discharge all clones and leave them to figure out their own problems, while a select few are retained for training.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I have a feeling that the R2D2 and Rex arc would end with him leaving or dieing.

3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011

Honestly I love reading through some of the tropes of certain shows just because of the sarcastic take it gives on almost them. The one for Casshern Sins, the anime I keep comparing the D-Squad arc to is a riot. Hey we're all different and we're all going to see things differently. I see "A Sunny Day in the Void" as philosophical ride and the majority on this board see it as crackbaby garbage (anybody who calls that a Looney Toon is on my **** list, hah). Being an animation buff and still in love with alot of stuff from my childhood I have built up a high tolerance for campy, goofy, lame, and stupid. Not everyone has that. I accept that and am happy to have a dialogue with someone who has a bit different take than me.

Iron_lord, Sgt Crowfield and Watto like this.
  4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Considering that we were told that the clones were "too individualistic ", I think that many of the clones found out about the inhibitor chips and revolted. Loyal clones and non-clone soldiers then defeated the revolting clones and Palpatine then decided to stop clone production.

5. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    That depends. To my knowledge there is only one clone that really hurt Fives' story. It would rest of Rex's shoulder. I think the vast majority would have a reaction similar to me rolling my eyes at my Supervisor at work laying out his theories that the Illumanti killed Paul Walker and aliens abducted the missing Malaysian airliner.

Sgt Crowfield likes this.
  6. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    He may be on to something with the aliens ^^.

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I was implying that other clones eventually discovered the chip on their own. A conspiracy can only stay hidden for so long.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Sorry double post

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think if cut would have returned he would have been able to convince rex to leave the army. Have there ever been infants on the show other then those force sensitives.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    We have seen younger.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    *sigh* I still prefer the clones as they were presented in the movies.

Their genetic modification demanding obedience to any order, overrode any moral fortitude or actually giving a **** about the people affected by the order.

"Would it gave been too much to ask for the order to have come through before I gave him back the bloody lightsaber?"

That coming on top of the support that Cody had given Obi-Wan in the Utapau battle was deliciously creepy. Now it's just lame. And makes me think that Lucas, if he still owned Star Wars, would rewrite ROTS and make the great horror scene which was Order 66 into some lame scene with a lot of muttering Gollums in armor.

DanielUK likes this.
  13. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah, I don't like the personality independence of the Clones. I understand TCW is trying to humanise them, but I think it was a mistake. IMHO.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm OK with them having personalities. Maybe one of them is sarcastic, one is loud, one is introverted, etc.

But their personalities should not override their genetic modification. They are not "normal" humans.

15. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    But at the end of the day the clones are still humans. Creativity is what sets them apart from droids. They are still equipped with a mean prey drive, highly adaptable, have an innate instinct to survive, and equipped with a big powerful brain. Hell a couple of them in TCW displayed parental instincts which is innate enough I have no problem believing they can be there. You may be able to suppress some of the aggression and individuality which happens on earth but I don't believe you can ever truly suppress basic instincts and the brain. Some will rise above it.

To suppress it IRL would mean programming out 200,000 years of instinct and evolution. I imagine the GFFA equiv homo sapiens have been evolving far longer than here on this lonely little blue ball called earth where as in the GFFA it looks like evolution took place on a galactic scale rather than confined to one world.I just don't believe you can ever fully suppress nature no matter how advanced your understanding is.

These men were bred to handle any amount of stress but they still fought in a war. They still had feelings, the desire to survive, and strategy which is important to fighting a war exercises creativity. The clones were ultimately shaped by what they experienced and they were encouraged to be expressive and creative by the Jedi who tried to see them as fellow sentient beings although Shaak Ti ended up having to come down to the Kaminoans' level and argue over whose property they were and she got caught up in her Jedi arrogance.

I think an Manchurian Candidate approach while a retconn makes sense. It makes sense to put something in the brain to ensure that no matter what the Clone will follow through Sidious's grand plan rather than relying on just the Kaminoans' as damn good cloners. He really can't rely on that alone in my opinion particularly knowing how the Jedi will treat the clones. Its to big a gamble and this is Sidious who the Xanatos Gambit trope should really be named after. He's got a plan, an answer, a contingency plan for everything, and he can come up with how to take advantage of anything on the fly.

I liked in the IGN interview of Filoni when he pointed out how the Kaminoans went to Dooku to basically ask what he wanted to do with one defective 'product'. Its not all that different from when the iPhone 4s came out and had issues getting signal requiring a mass firmware update. Its so dehumanizing its heart breaking in itself. It seems the clones are going to get their firmware update *cough* inoculations. Thanks to this update. The clones won't be chanting, "kill the Jedi... good soldiers follow orders."

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I know your first two paragraphs describe the way the clones were depicted in the show but I still don't like it, and I think the show took the "think creatively" aspect much further than it did in the movies.

When I watched AOTC and heard the Kaminoans' descriptions, I took "think creatively" to mean that they could strategize in battle as to the best way to carry out their CO's commands and win the battle.

Not that they would analyze whether their CO's orders were moral.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. CT-5555

CT-5555 Jedi Padawan

Mar 13, 2014
    Having the clones being basic grunts who blindly follow their leaders into battle is boring. It's been done before. I much prefer how they were depicted in the series.

18. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Has anybody noticed Fang Zar concept art for "An Old Friend" on SW.com?

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    No i have not thanks though.

20. WampaSwamp

WampaSwamp Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 27, 2011
    The way I would rationalize it is that initially the clones were exactly as the Kaminoans described them. But as the war dragged on, the clones began to unexpectedly go beyond their genetic modifications, hence why Palpatine had to step in and supposedly had them all conditioned by the time of ROTS. Its unclear what effect this may have had on their line of thinking and its possible that if TCW was allowed to have continued, we would have gotten further expansion on some of the ideas from the Order 66 arc.

21. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013

In the movies, the clones weren't really a huge focus, so we didn't see their "creative thinking" all that much, if at all. The movies were more focused on Palpatine's plot and the Jedi, not individualistic soldiers.

credar, Circular Logic and Revanfan1 like this.
  22. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    The clones remain the indoctrinated, compliant soldiers they always were. TCW has a rather balanced portrayal of this aspect of them. We do indeed encounter outlier clones like the traitor Slick and the deserter Cut, but we also encounter Gregor, who recovers from his amnesia and eagerly rejoins the fight. In The Deserter and Plan of Dissent, Rex alludes to his heartfelt loyalty to the Republic, seemingly borne out of his indoctrination. In the Umbara arc, Fives justifies his insubordination against Krell in the name of the Republic and on the grounds of military effectiveness. He and Rex both demonstrate the marketed creativity in that arc. Krell pushes the clones to their limits of compliance, but they only fully move against him when his treachery is revealed.

Palpatine doesn't need them conditioned as a response to their developing individuality. He has already had the means to guarantee Order 66 compliance since before the clone army's creation. That's what S6 revealed, though it was a logical enough assumption from ROTS and AOTC alone. All he's doing at the end of the Fives Arc is improving its reliability, possibly reducing the likelihood of its detection/removal as well.

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    This brings up an intresting question would Echo have been all eager about joining the republic again after they left him.

24. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
  25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    What if Talzin possessed a Jedi?