main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Harrison Ford (Han Solo) in TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Mar 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm totally ready for an older Han and seeing the next chapter in his life. It's part of the appeal of seeing the Big Three again - what have these people been up to in the intervening years and how have they changed? How are they the same? I fully except Han to have grown and matured in that timeframe to become (hopefully) a better person. I'm still torn on where exactly his place in the galaxy will be, whether that is as a former military leader or as a businessman, but if there's one thing I have no doubts about, it is that he would be a good father and husband. I'm not sure if that's the track the film makers will take with his character arc, but it wouldn't be something I would have a tough time accepting if that is the case.

2. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I mentioned this in an older thread many months ago, but I said then (and I'll repeat myself now) is that I could actually see Han and Leia having a very "Incredibles" type of dynamic in the beginning of Episode VII. They're still together, and they love each other and all that, but their lives have become kinda "meh." I could see Han (like Mr. Incredible) kind of restless and hungering for the adventures of their youth. Then, suddenly the Episode VII conflict arises and suddenly the spark is back.

Does that make sense? Or did I discredit myself by comparing Han to a cartoon character? :p

I guess my point is, is that there are totally ways to portray a married Han who is still very much "Han". It's not necessary to make him some divorced rogue to do so (and please don't go that route, Lucasfilm. It's almost too easy).

3. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I can see this happening. I can see Leia's time in government helping rebuild the Republic having come and gone and Han having helped along the way either shuttling Leia around to and fro or helping out the military and now they've settled down into a rather quiet, mediocre life.

4. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    To just elaborate on my point a little more: to have Han married with kids, but a little restless and bored is very "Han". But to have him actually run out on his wife and family for this reason just makes him a jerk. Who wants to see that version of Han? Certainly not me. I think I'm more prepared for the married version.

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012

I like the comparison a lot and I think something like that could really work for Han's character. And I think you can even show a little bit of the roguish Han without him leaving his family. Perhaps Han, trying to get a bit of that excitement back in his life, is running a little side business with Lando without telling Leia. It would have to tie into the story somehow but I think it could work.

6. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    He most certainly would be a jerk if that was used as a reason for leaving. But what if she had an affair with Lando? :p

I'm only playing. I really like your portrayal. :)

Yanksfan and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  7. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012

Last thing we need is a Jedi version of Calista Flockhart!

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    :confused:

HanSolo29 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  9. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    I think my problem with han and Leia with kids, let alone still be married is that its kinda childish. They barely got along and werent exactly right for each other but just cos they kissed and were happy at the end of ROTS that means they remain happy for 30 years. Have an intergalactic space wedding? Settle down with kids? Its a boring, predictable, cliched place for their characters to end up at.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  10. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

Han wasn't in ROTS :p

11. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I, for one, would love every boring, cliched minute of that. There was a time when our film heroes lived up to a higher standard than people are often times able to do in the real world. In this case that would be the ability to stay together and be happy despite their differences in the process.

12. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000

I disagree. "Barely got along"? I think you're confusing pre-couple Han/Leia with post-couple Han/Leia. They fought when they were fighting their attraction to each other, but once those two got together they seemed to get along just fine. Would they argue? Sure, but most healthy relationships have arguments (some even say the occasional argument is actually a sign of a *very* healthy relationship).

And I don't see how having them married with kids is anymore cliche than "ooh, let's have them broken up and then they have to reunite when the galaxy goes in the toilet--ooh, the tension!" And it's not like Episode VII is going to center around "Han and Leia's very stable marriage" anyway. Obviously it's going to be the new storyline that will be the point, so how does it take away from the movie if they're together? It's not like their relationship has to be all bunnies and rainbows in a land of perfectness. There can still be tensions, if the writers feel that is somehow necessary. I don't have a problem with that. A good Han and Leia argument feeds my soul. ;)

13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012

Childish? Marrying, having children and staying together through thick and thin is... childish? Okay. o_O Despite their different personalities (and people with different personalities can certainly make each other happy) I think Leia brings out the good in Han and I think that helps give them a pretty powerful bond.

14. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    I just hope we don't get another Harrison Ford contractually obligated performance like we got in Jedi.

15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    [face_sigh]

[face_sigh]

[face_sigh]

Claire1976 and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  16. StarWars2015

StarWars2015 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2012
    Indeed, In Jedi it took me hundreds of viewings, but I finally came around to the conclusion that Harrison did not give his best performance in Jedi and for that I blame Lucas because of him using Han Solo as the attempted Lapstick Comedy in that film but thankfully his Empire greatness was not dismished in this in any way and the legacy of Han Solo survives to this very day......

17. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005

I've talked about this before in a couple of threads. 30 years after the end of the rebellion, Han has settled down, married Leia and had a couple of kids. His swashbuckling days are behind him. He's certainly not going to return to smuggling and there are no more battles to fight. Restless is definitely the right word. He loves his wife and kids of course but he'd feel useless, always longing for one more adventure. He never thought he'd spend his days living comfortably in an apartment on Coruscant. I have an idea that would see our first look at Han in VII be in a bar not too unlike the cantina, only this would be in the lower levels of Coruscant. Events would conspire to pull Han into a bar fight (that he'd drag Luke into) and he'd love every second of it but it's still just a cheap thrill, not really fulfilling. But when the galaxy starts to spiral out of control again, Han would come alive and he'd rediscover his old swashbuckling self. Han is a guy who needs purpose. He needs something to fight for or fight against. I think whatever purpose he finds may centre around his kids, perhaps some sort of rescue mission or something that leads to the unravelling of the larger plot of the trilogy.

18. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    It's all about motivation. If Ford signs on this time, it'll be because he wants to be there (I don't think he was contractually obligated for ROTJ, as Lucas has stated that unlike Hamill and Fisher, Ford didn't sign on for three films at the start. But I'm sure he felt a personal obligation to Lucas to see it through to the end). And after 30 years away, it'll all feel fresh to him again. Plus, it'll be a challenge to play Han at a different point in his life. Let's face it, there wasn't anything for Han to do in ROTJ other than be rescued and go 'Pew! Pew! Pew!' at guys in plastic armor. It's easy to see why he would be more Harrison Bored than Harrison Ford by that point. Fisher looks equally bored (Cocaine jokes aside, she really looks like she could care less for most of the movie). By ROTJ, only Luke really has any strong story responsibility, and it shows, as Hamill is the only one of the "Big three" who seems to be in the moment.

Yanksfan likes this.
  19. Erevador

Erevador Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 10, 2013
    I think Harrison recently gave the best performance he's had in over a decade in Ender's Game. It was a really vital, intense, nuanced performance. It made me thrilled about the prospect of seeing him in Ep 7.

He's still such a total badass.
    [​IMG]

20. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I'm also afraid of that. What if Harrison Ford plays Harrison Ford and not Han Solo? I don't want to see Harrison Ford on screen yet again being Harrison Ford, I want to see the character of Han Solo.

But I think JJ is capable of coaxing a decent performance out of Ford.

Gallandro likes this.
  21. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    People keep using the word "motivation," to describe what's needed from Ford. I have ZERO doubt Ford is completely disinterested in revisiting Solo. The ONLY reason he would be back on board is a promise to revisit Indiana Jones... of course the bucks don't hurt either.

Yancy

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  22. plaidphoenix

Nov 6, 2013
    I seriously doubt Harrison is hurting for money given the career he's had. In his prime, he was commanding over $20 million a film plus a percentage of the take. If he comes back for at least Episode VII, it will because
    1)They're giving him more Indiana Jones movies to make
    2)He doesn't want to be a jerk to Mark and Carrie for not coming back
    3)He doesn't want to deal with the grief he thinks he'll get if he doesn't put in an appearance.
    4)He doesn't have too many strenuous objections to his role in Episode VII

Regardless of what he thought should have happened to Han in ROTJ, I've never heard a word to suggest he has a bad personal or working relationship with either his former co-stars or with George Lucas. He wouldn't have made Crystal Skull if he had a problem working with George.

23. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013

He was good in last year's "42," as well. And while most people like to trash "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," Ford was great in it. Yeah, for me it's the weakest of the Indy films, but I have no problem seeing another one (provided it gets made soon--he's not getting any younger). Persistent rumors indicate that Ford was able to work in a new (or perhaps even two, depending on the sources) Indy film with Disney in conjunction with his Star Wars contract. Who knows....we'll have to wait and see.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  24. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    I'm really intrigued with this whole "Indy clause" I keep hearing about. Is that for real? And second, how can Harrison just "demand" they make them? Don't they need Lucas and Spielberg to be onboard as well? Because I'll be honest, if Spielberg doesn't direct it, it's not going to be a true Indy film. At least not in my eyes. I fear that in some other director's hands it could be a total mess.

25. plaidphoenix

Nov 6, 2013
    I agree that if Spielberg doesn't return to direct any future Indy movies, they probably shouldn't be made. As for the Indy clause, I suspect, at least for me, it's one of those "rumors" that has somehow transcended into semi-fact. But given that Disney got the rights to Indy when they bought Lucasfilm, Harrison putting in terms for future Indy films into any potential ST contract isn't completely out of left field.

I think Sean Connery made a similar type deal when the producers wanted him to come back for Diamonds Are Forever although I could be mistaken.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.