main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST World events and Star Wars Episode VII...

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Emphram, Mar 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emphram

Emphram Jedi Padawan

Jan 15, 2014
    I don't know if this has been done before, and this thread might not have a lot of life to it (hoping I'm wrong on that), but I wonder if world events such as the Syria crisis, Crimea crisis have had an effect over the release of information to the public. I would imagine that Disney would stay out of these topics but doesn't do announcements when such events are pretty hot, in a combination of not sending a mixed message and not getting drowned out. Also I wonder if such recent events might get a subtle mention in the ST (i.e. a mention of a planet annexing another or something along those lines). Anyhow, its your opinions that I'm interested in, so please, discuss.

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    there probably will. real life almost always plays a part in fiction.

Darth_Articulate and Emphram like this.
  3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Since the OT was WWII, the ST could be the Cold War.

Emphram likes this.
  4. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    The cold war was boring. I'm thinking factions that came about due to the end of WWII or even the end of the cold war leading to terrorist states that want to claim their promised land.

Emphram likes this.
  5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    [​IMG]

Emphram likes this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Brace yourselves for a 2.5 hour epic about the catastrophic effects of the failed rollout of healthcare.coruscant

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    30 years later, the galaxy is still suffering from Palpatinecare. Palpatinecare was far worse than the destruction of Alderaan. ;)

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "If you like your current planet, you can keep your planet". :(

9. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I'm thinking about the possibility of a Cold War/Galaxy like scenario. Image post RotJ where some remnant Imperial Governors still hold power over their local systems. They simply refuse to give up their power or become one with the Alliance. These systems could be scattered across the galaxy, making trade very difficult. They could face embargo (like Cuba), or be separated in half (much akin to the Berlin Wall, where the Alliance gets a portion, and the Imperials another) These embargoed systems could face economic hardships, crippling them and their populations. Or driving them and the Alliance into a Arms Race.

Additionally, we could have even more "order" and surveillance than existed during the Empire. Both sides might employ spies, or bounty hunters, or worse. Trust would be non existent.

You could also have a galaxy that becomes is less spiritual - following the history of the Soviet Union. Perhaps in some sectors, Force-users are outlawed (the populations simply having enough of this Jedi business - they are the ones who started and fought the Clone Wars and they were 'traitors' to the Republic. And the last of them, Darth Vader, wasn't really all that loved.) This leaves Luke on the outside of things. He's spent the last few decades learning more about the force, and building a new Order…ready for the day when the Republic needs it again.

Just thoughts.

Episode Swag and Emphram like this.
  10. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Am I misreading the OP, or is it being suggested that Disney is withholding information because of current world events?

Emphram likes this.
  11. w4tkn

w4tkn Jedi Master star 1

Jan 25, 2013
    The PT has a rather eery thread of false flags and puppets masters....much like our own world 'Order out of Chaos' with a depiction of the Hegelian dialect.

-Jedi Joe- and Emphram like this.
  12. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    I don't know what you guys think, but when I go to the movies, I wanna think about something else. The last thing I wanna do is think about what's going on in the real world or be reminded of the real world. Just sayin…

w4tkn, Jobertus and Emphram like this.
  13. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014

I doubt Disney's taking it into consideration when it comes to releasing info about VII. It's not like they're going to announce the plot. If there are any references to current events, they won't be evident until we actually see the movie.

Case in point: STID. You have to watch the movie to get the parallels with drone warfare.

-Jedi Joe- and Emphram like this.
  14. Emphram

Emphram Jedi Padawan

Jan 15, 2014

I'm not sure that was intentional, because its a very subtle and weak parallel. Honestly I think it was more about drawing attention to the fabrication of war materials than drone usage. I think SW EPVII Might have cold war references to it, or end of cold war references in it. Perhaps the Rebellion were only capable of advancing to a certain point and the Empire and Rebellion entered a ceasefire/truce, and with time both factions have rebuilt themselves and developed relations, however the Empire now rebuilt, and with some secret advantage is now trying to fabricate a war and reclaim its former glory. Simple plot but believable.

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It will happen, but it will be done subtly.

Remember, the Vietnam War inspired the Battle of Endor, Nixon inspired Palpatine, and some of Darth Vader's line's in ROTS are very relevant to what was happening at that time with the Bush administration. And little things like Trent Lott and Chris Dodd = Lott Dodd, and Newt Gingrich + Reagan = Nute Gunray (Gun-ray, Ray-gun... get it? Oh George...). And in a backwards way of art influencing life, some paranoid people looked at what was happening in the world and thought it must be the plot of a real-life Palpatine, and 9/11 trutherism was born.

Emphram likes this.
  16. Emphram

Emphram Jedi Padawan

Jan 15, 2014

I think you may be reading way to much in between lines. I really doubt any of that was intentional, and I feel that you're inclined towards bashing Republicans and believe Star Wars was used as a platform for that. I don't lean politically to any side, and honestly can't see more than vague similarities. Star Wars is not Starship Troopers, which was a platform for criticizing nationalism,/fascism/imperialism.

Fastback, Episode Swag and Beezer like this.
  17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    No, it's been well-known for years.

18. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Everything is transpiring according to his design!

19. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    I don't know GL's political stance, but I've heard all of what Ghost is saying before.

Remember the Republic was corrupt and failing, maybe GL is a democrat and that's why the heroes are fighting for democracy? It'd be subtle and not apparent but it's possible.
    I'm not from the US and I don't want to get into a Democrat vs Republican thing, I'm not saying that this is how it is, I'm just putting it out there [face_peace]

20. Emphram

Emphram Jedi Padawan

Jan 15, 2014
    Really? I have heard other fans say this, but it's not a common opinion. I honestly can't compare Bush to Palpatine, both had very different motives and end goals in their actions. Neither can I compare Nixon to Palpatine. With an unbiased approach they are tremendously different. Nute Gunray to Reagan and Newt Gingrich doesn't make any bit of sense either.

I think GL is a democrat, but I don't think that has anything to do with fighting for democracy. People fight for democracy because its better than monarchy, totalitarianism or anarchy.

21. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    Both the Republicans and the Democrats are part of a democracy. But clever writing by GL could get his own personal political feelings across [face_peace]

22. Emphram

Emphram Jedi Padawan

Jan 15, 2014

Obviously GL weaves his personal view of what is right and what is wrong into his story. But I don't think he's secretly telling us the aforementioned people are evil, in any way. Rather, these are the conclusions of others who want to demonize those who they dislike, oppose or don't agree with, which is something Palpatine does to the Jedi. I think it's best to not try to demonize people, but instead be objective. I'm not saying everyone is a good person out there in the political arena, but being a public figure is always going to make you a flak magnet, especially if your opponent can capitalize on it.

23. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    I think you may be making the same mistake as I did in another thread, and taking it too literally. He's not saying they are evil, but using the bad side in his story he is drawing a comparison with his own political ideals.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  24. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014

I thought it was very blatant actually:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...allegory_latest_movie_takes_on_terrorism.html

http://tropicsofmeta.wordpress.com/...ne-strikes-and-terrorism-in-the-post-911-era/

25. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I don't doubt that some present day issues could find their way into the ST, although probably not very explicitly, but as to the notion that this would have any bearing on Disney's announcements, I think the chance of that is nil.

StoneRiver and Lurknomore like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.