main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Prequel nostalgia. Yes, it's a real thing.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by squir1y, Feb 12, 2014.

1. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    Can't really connect with OT different era I guess I was 5 when I saw the phantom menace in 1999 and only the saw the originals later on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darkslayer and Darth Dominikkus like this.
  2. Krivlos_Arkh

Krivlos_Arkh Jedi Master star 1

Jun 23, 2005
    Oh yes, I know that feeling. I remember the times before ROTS release, I remember teasers, production pictures, interviews. Now that was exiting. And seeing the real thing... unbelievable. Good old times.

3. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I always see nostalgia for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, which was released seven months before TPM, so I would expect TPM nostalgia to exist.

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn and Darth Eddie like this.
  4. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Whenever I watch Star Wars TPM after a long period of not watching it (which is not rare), I always feel nostalgic. I love that movie, even though I am only 19 years old and saw it in theaters when I was 5.

5. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    I'm in your exact same position. 1999 5-years-old.

6. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    That's cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darth Dominikkus likes this.
  7. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    The prequels era ended about 8-9 years ago, looking by numbers it's not so distant past, but in many ways it is.
    My first recollection goes to 1999. when I read something about a new episode of some famous saga arrived at cinema. I went and saw TPM which I loved. Then came 2001. and TPM DVD, first trailers of AOTC loading via modem connection then AOTC in cinemas... In 2004. I joined my first SW related forum. That was pretty stressful experience, being the lonely voice speaking in favour of the PT, always in minority.
    At the time of ROTS the situation was a bit like today, a bit, not more. Rumors were floating around, but not about the casting, they were about the terms and events that caused Anakin's turn, about Grievous' fate, about the birth of Luke and Leia. There were less wild speculations, we were waiting for the informations to build a mosaic.
    The thing is, back then we had less SW pollution. There was that Tartakovsky's CW series, but it was short and less discussed about. The movies were the only thing we could focus on and that's why the anticipation was greater than it is today.
    As for the movies, they grew on to me, ever since AOTC I figured out they'll be something bigger and better than the OT, even now each time I watch them I notice something new and all in all, I do not have nostalgia for them, they'll always be here. Just for those times. And pioneering in PT's defense.

8. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Thanks for reminding me of that. I think I'd just had ADSL installed in our house when AOTC came out, but TPM was definitely experienced in an era of dial-up Internet. It was a vastly simpler time.

We're really spoiled -- the age we live in now. Everything is accessible at the click of a button. In fact, a video critique like the RedLetterMedia videos would have been unthinkable in, say, the year 2000. Ten years is a LONG time in our digital communication epoch.

9. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    I was 9 in 1999, and grew up on the OT up to that point. The PT was just icing on the cake. Since I really grew up with both trilogies, it's easier for me to see them as singular indivisible epic. Make no mistake, nostalgia is no part of the reason why I like Star Wars, or at least I can list a billion things I like about Star Wars before nostalgia ever even occuring to me. Nostalgia is the most overrated emotion in my opinion - but that doesn't mean I do feel nostalgic, and in that way I feel very different about the OT and PT. The OT are like my baby albums, while the PT is like my middle school journal.

It almost makes me afraid of the ST. I'm approaching it in a very similar way to older fans in the PT era. I had no expectations when I was a kid, nor the mindset of a mythologist with which to critique the films in real-time the way I do routinely today. This is no longer the case. I have a opinions about how the ST could succeed or screw up. That might be self-sabotage. We'll see.

SithStarSlayer and Iron_lord like this.
  10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I still experience it about ROTS. I didn't watch the OT until after TPM, and didn't really get into things until AOTC, so the buildup to Episode III was so exciting for me. I remember having the teaser poster hanging over the window of my college dorm room, still one of the coolest posters I've ever seen:

[​IMG]

Spending all night over on 3SA, lining up to get the ROTS XBox game and playing it through on the first day just so I could see the clips, watching a fan-made trailer with a CGI Grievous, listening to podcasts like SW En Direct that ran a listening party for the soundtrack before it was released..and finally, listening to the audiobook before going to see the film. One of three films I've gone to see at midnight, went to see it with two of my closest friends, and then we headed back to the dorm and played Battlefront 1 on PS2 for the rest of evening. Very memorable, great time.

11. Maul95

Maul95 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    True, the expectation for Episode III was epic! I also played the first levels of the ROTS video game and also the Lego Star Wars game before seeing the movie, they got me ridiculously hyped for it.
    And then the movie itself did live up to my personal expectations, I enjoyed it so much I saw it 4 times at the theater and purchased the DVD the same day it came out. Great times indeed, some really sweet memories from my late childhood.

12. SarlacsDinerParty

SarlacsDinerParty Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2014
    Im mostly nostalgic twards TPM :) Stil remember that summer... SW was everywhere ant then it was the toys, games and so on......

13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    That must have made it such an awesome time for you then :)

14. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    I'm mostly nostalgic towards Revenge of the Sith since it was the only Star Wars film I saw in it's initial theatrical run (and I loved the heck out of it). The summer of 2005 holds great memories for me.

15. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I get really intense PT nostalgia quite often. I was 12 when TPM was released and will never forget letting the teaser trailer load for HOURS on our super slow dial-up connection the day it was released, convincing my mom to take me on opening day (midnight was out of the question), lightsaber battles with my similarly-aged cousin, etc., etc. So many great memories.

16. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    I will always remember my experience in the theater when I saw ROTS. Such a great summer.

17. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    My hype was through the roof in '99 for TPM. Even though I was only seven I felt the importance of a new Star Wars movie being released 16 years after ROTJ. I remember watching the Duel of the Fates video on MTV all the time, going to KFC while collecting the soda tops, going to the toy store and mall and seeing all the toys, and re-watching the special edition trilogy VHS tapes in anticipation. The first time I saw it on opening day felt like, in the words of Jason Swank, "I was at a rock concert." There was so much cheering throughout the whole film, I really don't recall anyone saying they hated it after it finished, especially when the credits rolled and everyone clapped. I continued to see it ten more times with my uncle within weeks (two times for the 3D release), with a nearly packed theater every viewing. Star Wars was back.

I never got to get hyped for AOTC because there was a huge lack of promotion in my area. I only saw the teaser trailer in theaters and I didn't really get to follow it up to release. I do remember the day the title was announced though. I ended up only getting to see AOTC once in the theater and that wasn't even on opening day. Still, I loved it from start to finish and was pleasantly surprised when Yoda used a lightsaber. I remember people cheering for that.

After AOTC and finally discovering the use of the internet, I followed ROTS from day one until release. This wasn't just the the completion of the circle; for us fans, this was the return of Darth Vader twenty two years after his last performance. This is one I definitely seeing everyone, minus the haters, being hyped. I watched the second trailer numerous time and re-watched the first five films so many times I have no idea how I never got sick of them. I had the Star Wars fever again, and so did everyone else I knew. I went to the release dressed as Vader, waiting in a long line but getting to see other kids throw on a Jedi vs. Sith show, and finally sitting down in the theater and eagerly anticipating the start of the movie. I recall the Chronicle of Narnia trailer before the movie only because my mom was convinced it got more cheers than films everyone was there to see, ROTS. I think her disdain for the prequels cloud her judgement because once again it felt like I was at a rock concert while seeing a new Star Wars movie. Once again, everyone who saw it seemed to love it, even critics.

No matter what you think, the general audience and the majority of Star Wars fans loved seeing the new films. The entire saga is loved to this day. The only time I see hate for any of the films are from new, young critics who grew up with the OT, people who have seen the RLM reviews, and some people who jumped on the bandwagon. There is only hate from the small minority of a few groups on the internet. The vast majority have always loved all six films and I hope we can all love the new ones coming out in the years to come.

18. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    I bet everyone remembers the first time they saw the trailers!!!! I was completely spoiler free and knew nothing and could not work out anything. It was absolutely fantastic. The first time I saw a shot of the Podrace where the Tusken Raiders were firing at the Racers it felt like a completely different world. I imagine that is how many experienced the OT. TPM turned me into an ardent fan and so has the greatest nostalgia.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  19. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Uh, what???

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think what's meant is people who were children when the OT came out - and are now early in their careers as movie critics.

Thoix Heoro likes this.
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Its been 15 years since the Era started so there has to be some nostalgia for me there is.

22. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I think what a lot of people likely feel nostalgia for is more so the experience of the era than the actual films themselves. The anticipation, the excitement over the trailers, seeing that Lucasfilm logo shimmering again, etc., etc. I really do actually miss all of that - and while the films weren't necessarily as good as the OT, that didn't make everything else surrounding them any less fun.

23. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Strange, I have never felt any real nostalgia over any of the movies' hype . . . for both trilogies. I was too busy disliking the first two movies of the OT when they came out (my feelings for the two movies changed over time). And when ROTJ came out, I was too busy enjoying the movies to really care about the hype.

I do remember the hype over TPM. But I have no real nostalgia over it. I was too busy enjoying the movie. I have similar feelings regarding AOTC and ROTS. To be honest, I was a little annoyed by the hype over the 2005 film. I found it annoying . . . especially when it reached some of the fast food joints I go to.

24. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I know what you're saying, but there's a simple solution to that:

Don't visit fast food joints.

25. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't have any nostalgia towards any of the films, really. I was born in the OT Era but I remember the anticipation for TPM but that's it. I thought the hype was way over done especially about Maul and RotS.