main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You realise, of course, in a couple of weeks or so, I'll likely be posting a review of the Fear Agent Library Volume 2, don't you? And that the outcome is pretty much already set in stone as positive?

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    [​IMG]

So...SPIDER-VERSE. Every Spider-Man ever together. And the bad guy is Morlun. Can we officially call this new event pure Spider-Fan bait? :p

Juliet316 and Darth-Lando like this.
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I was about to complain about a lack of Spider-Ham but, by god, there he is! [face_hypnotized]

4. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    What about Spider-Pig?

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Wasn't a real Spider-Pig. :p

Man, Ollie Osnick in his high school days will wind up deader than ****. The older version, not so much. Too bad there won't be a scene where Mayday runs into Peter and slaps him upside his head for his boneheaded stunt with Mephisto.

6. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    Aren't a few of those just different costumes Peter Parker wore and not totally different Spider-men? Awesome picture regardless.

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yep. Of the costumes the 616 Peter Parker wore, only four of them were the main costume. The classic suit, the black suit (Symbiote and cloth), the Iron Spider and pseudo metallic armor from Web Of Spider-Man #100. The other Spidey outfits are based on alternate universes, what Ben Reilly wore, his family members, allies, clones and what not.

The Fantastic Four uniform was just a point in time, since he lost the Symbiote and didn't have his spare gear, much less costume with him.

8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Very excited to see "The Spider" from Exiles up there. Peter permanently bonded with the Carnage symbiote and turned into a mass murderer was one of my favs.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Nope, pass.

But I am very interested in the soon-to-be-mine Family Business OGN.

10. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    There's also the black and white FF suit, that he wore for a time comparable to the Iron Spider.

And this all references Julia Carpenter's cryptic "they are killing spiders", so it's always nice to see old plot points going somewhere. I'll be there. Slott's good at this kind of events.

11. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    =P~

Edit: I want to hate this as ridiculous fan service, but the return of Morlun fascinates me and this gives me a glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe, I might get to see Ultimate Peter Parker one more time. Probably not but still a Spider-Fan can dream. At least we are getting Ultimate Spider-Woman.

Also happy that this isn't replacing Spider-Men 2.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I had forgotten about that.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So want!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Fantastic Four Volume 1 / FF Volumes 1-2

Really enjoyed this, especially once it got rid of the Fantastic Four issues.

What I like most about it is that it's a mix of light and heavy which keeps you, as reader, uncertain. On the one hand, Allred's style is very cartoony but the story is focused, in part, on Scott Lang's grief over Cassie being killed Doom. There's no way this story could make up for that lousy decision, but at least it's treated with its due weight here. At the same time there's a strand of how Doom is destined to win. These come together in Lang planning to take out Doom, but inbetween these poles there's a considerably of hi-jinks and lighter fare, often with the various FF characters taking centre stage.

And that final confrontation with Doom? It is perhaps one of the best examples of how to utterly defeat a supervillain without killing him, it's up there with the various humiliations Frank Castle inflicts on Daken. Lang systematically removes Doom's allies and support mechanisms, blocks his escapes and then beats the crap out of him. One of the consistent things across the run is how pathetic Doom is, a swaggering, petty and psychopathic bully - which only makes what Lang inflicts on him more satisfying.

Great stuff.

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Though if you ask John Byrne, he'll tell you it was a Doombot.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Like I care.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  18. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    That's just one of Doom's powers. He can retcon any previous appearance into a Doombot at the drop of a hat.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That's not even an "Ask John Byrne" thing, that's more like a universal probability law of the Marvel universe. As time goes on, the odds of any Doom appearance being retconned to a Doombot approach 100%.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Young Avengers: Volumes 1-3

Well, I could be wrong, but Marvel would have to be idiots to not issue this in an OHC edition, though how much they'd try to charge for it....

It's superb stuff and on multiple levels. There's the story sure, but there's also how Gillen-McKelvie decide to tell it. A case in point - splash pages have a bad rep for taking up space and being too showy etc. You've never seen splash pages like those McKelvie unleashes in the first volume, each one is different yet all are equally brilliant and can be looked at again and again.

Then there's Gillen putting a twist on Loki, who he so wonderfully reinvented for JiM and then executed! The hope I had going into this series was that matters with regard to Loki were nowhere as cut-and-dried as Gillen was claiming in the aftermath of JiM's conclusion - and so it proved. He doesn't undo anything, instead building on it very, very smartly. If Loki met Gillen in real life? He'd probably be checking his pocket, having recognised rather too much of himself in Gillen - it takes a trickster to know a trickster! Suffice to say this arc is a wonderfully transitional one that places Loki in a perfect position for the Loki: Agent of Asgard book.

And the story? The story is a great revival and rejection, it couldn't be anything other, of the deadly seriousness and doom 'n' gloom that wrecked Young Avengers: Children's Crusade. It is a story of teenagers, of screwing up and how to fix the screw-up, mixed in with the realisation that not only do you not have to be your parents, you don't have to think like them either. (Unfortunately, protestations to the contrary, parents don't really like this, but end up accepting it in time.... mostly.) In other, lesser skilled hands this would be a heavy, leaden, taking-itself-so-seriously tale that simply wouldn't work. It needs a lightness, of things never getting really, seriously pitch-black in its handling..

Easily one of the smartest and most fun books in the best sense of the word, you've no excuse not to read this.

Amazing Spiderman: Family Business OGN

And with this Marvel have certainly emphasised what they intend the line to be - ambitious tales anyone can pick up and read.

Dell'Otto is not, nor ever will be, a monthly artist - that's not a slagging, that's a statement of fact. His work is gorgeous but there is no way it could ever sustain a monthly schedule so this new OGN format of Marvel's is perfect for him.

Waid and Robinson spin an engaging tale of past legacies around the idea of Peter Parker having a sister he never knew about. It's handled in quite low-key fashion too, there's no talk of affairs of rape, simply that the kids got split up for an unknown reason. It's quite elegant and all the more effective for it.

The one criticism I have is that the resolution is all a bit too neat. While that is to be partly expected, especially given a couple of developments, you can't help but wonder at what might have been if the story had not had to tidy up after itself quite so completely.

Despite that, it's a well-told and excellently illustrated tale deserving of the format and I'm now looking forward to the upcoming X-Men and Thanos ones.

21. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Personally I'm dying for a Martian Mahunter ongoing series. I am still very dissapointed they took him out of the Justice League.

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    So not exactly traditional comics news, but Amazon has purchased Comixology. Which adds a decidedly literalist bent to the statement "I buy all of my comics from Amazon," at least for me.

23. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
  24. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I am one of those that had more or less given up

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008