main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Fly Guy, Nov 18, 2013.

?

How good will Mark Hamill's performance in episode 7 be?

1. He's going to be great

950 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. He'll do OK

145 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. He's going to stink it up

23 vote(s)
    2.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Also, in the realm of Where Are They Now? Mark was the original David Bradford on Eight Is Enough. I watched part of a bio piece about Mark on YouTube the other day and Dick Van Patten who played the dad on Eight couldn't say enough nice things about Mark both as a person and as an actor.

2. Da'wid Yott

Da'wid Yott Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2014
    ..and don't forget that ANH and ESB in-betweener Corvette Summer! Great movie....

3. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Thanks for posting this - I watched the entire thing the other night -- Mark has done a lot more voice work than I realized - it was quite enjoyable.

Corvette Summer was great and don't forget Big Red One and The Night the Lights went out in Georgia.

T-R- likes this.
  4. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Luke Skywalker, a souped-up Corvette and a young Annie Potts. What's not to love?

Gemma and T-R- like this.
  5. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

The difference being the pay that the actor has received for their work lol.

6. Da'wid Yott

Da'wid Yott Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2014
    ...I totally forgot about The Big Red One; I'm going to have to search that one out and watch again. Appreciate the reminder.

T-R- likes this.
  7. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    The main difference is that Harrison Ford now is like your grumpy old uncle who doesn't talk much and looks bored as hell on family gatherings, while Mark Hamill is the funny uncle who's good with kids and used to have a rock band in the 80s.

8. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014

[face_laugh]

Revanfan1 and T-R- like this.
  9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Anyone think that Luke could be dabbling in the dark side of the Force in Episode VII?

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, he will find out that he's dying of some disease, so he purchases an RV ship and creates a Dark Side lab. Aaron Paul will play his apprentice.

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Why would he after expressly telling Palpatine to shove it.

FRAGWAGON, Han Burgundy, T-R- and 5 others like this.
  12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "I'll never turn to the Dark Side. I'm a Jedi, like my father before me."

*very next appearance*

"I've turned to the Dark Side. I've betrayed the Jedi, like my father before me".

FRAGWAGON, fishtailsam, T-R- and 11 others like this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Desperation, maybe. Luke's willing to refuse to join Palpatine - when his own life's at stake. He might not be so willing to refuse to "use Dark Power that he's discovered" - when the lives of many other people are at stake.

14. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    *very next appearance*

Han, Luke has gone over to the Dark Side, you hold him down while I burn the evil out of him.

Darth_Pevra and Iron_lord like this.
  15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    This. I love the EU but the idea of Luke joining the dark side has always sat wrong with me.

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In one of the comic compilations that included Dark Empire - Leland Chee stated that Luke only nearly fell.

A case could be made that the Luke who Leia "brings back" did not so much Fall as Was Brainwashed (after losing his lightsaber duel) - in the audio drama:

Emperor: You. Are. Nothing.
    Luke: Where am I?
    Emperor: Alone.
    Luke: No - Help me-
    Emperor: There is no one. There is only the Dark Side.
    Luke: I... am... a Jedi. Aaaaah!
    Emperor: You are not Jedi. You are nothing. You have no name.
    Luke: My name - is - Skywalker! AAAAAAH!
    Emperor: YOU. HAVE. NO. NAME!
    Luke: I-
    Emperor: Listen to the Dark Side. You have no name.
    Luke: I have... *dully* no name.
    Emperor: You serve the Dark Side.
    Luke: I... s-serve...

17. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I have a very limited knowledge of EU. I heard/read somewhere that Luke turned to the Dark Side but I don't know why and under what conditions, but I think he turned back. It doesn't matter.

Based solely on the movies, in my mind, I can easily picture Episode VII Luke training the next generation of Jedi and passing on what he has learned. With the ability to speak to Yoda, Obi-wan and Anakin after death has made him a powerful Jedi and I think that's what the audience will expect based on the Episode VI Luke that we last saw.

But then I had a thought. WHAT IF the writers decide that Luke has established the new Jedi Order in the 30 years in between VI and VII and we don't see him initially. We learn that Luke is away on a special mission. We then come to a new planet where there is a hooded figure training a Sith and the person removes their hood to reveal that it's actually Luke.

In the first instance, Luke would be playing the part of Jedi mentor and have a very small role in Episode VII so the writers can focus on the new heroes and villains. The new hero(es) would come to Luke like other Jedi would come to Yoda from time to time for advice.

In the second instance, Luke would be playing two roles, creating mystery, leaving the audience with questions, and giving Luke a more predominate role in the new trilogy.

I don’t know what instance makes more sense right now. I digress. Maybe they’ll kill him off in the first ten minutes as he sacrifices himself to save others and we'll get Ghost Luke later on in the movie.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

It's not that I don't like "Dark Empire", but since the EU isn't going to be much of a factor in the ST, I don't see Luke turning. I know why it happened in DE and have no problem with it. In fact, it was my first EU comic.

What happened was six years after the Battle of Endor, the New Republic had been fragmented following the end of the Thrawn campaign and was once again the Alliance on the run. During a mission to try and liberate Coruscant, Luke and Lando's ship crashes and while waiting for the Falcon to come pick them up, Luke wanders off and finds some clues that lead him to suspect that Palpatine is alive. When Luke and Artoo are taken by one of Palpatine's World Devastators to Byss, where Palpatine is. Luke learns that he found a way to cheat death, by transferring his consciousness into a form of energy and place it within a clone body. Luke, believing that he isn't strong enough to defeat Palpatine, surrenders to the dark side. Though he intends to use what knowledge he can get from him, in order to fight him and secretly tries to sabotage his efforts. Palpatine knows of this and lets him have his fun, until they square off and Luke loses to him. When next we see him, Luke has apparently turned all the way. Or as it was later retconned, nearly all the way. Leia is able to get Luke to break free and after another duel, Luke wins by cutting Palpatine's hand off and Palpatine is eventually destroyed. I won't go into all the details on that story.

Iron_lord and Revanfan1 like this.
  19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003

jus saw that a few months ago. annie potts man!

Juke Skywalker, T-R- and Da'wid Yott like this.
  20. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I agree, DE had some good qualities (Leia's larger role as a Jedi, for one, and the final Luke and Leia vs. Palpatine fight) but I've always disliked both notions that were the staples of that comic–Luke going dark and Palpatine coming back to life. Although, as said before, the L/L vs. Palpatine fight ended up being very epic and, if written in a novel, I think it would've been amazing. But another thing I didn't like about DE was the art, and it kind of distracted me.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I've seen at least one fanfic version of it, that I thought was pretty good. The author seemed to favour a Stover-eque style.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  22. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    How far into the future has the EU gone? Is there written material 30 years after ROTJ?

23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Yes, there is. But about the time VII would be taking place, there was a gap in the EU, so there would be nothing directly "there" to get in the way of. The next major event wouldn't happen for a year after when VII would take place. And that event was when things started going downhill. So basically, pre 30 ABY EU is good, post 30 ABY EU is...not so good. At least to the majority of the EU fans out there, myself included.

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Cam Kennedy's art is kinda hampered by the coloring techniques used. When he did a two part Batman story in 1992, traditional coloring was used.

Except if Han and Leia have children in the ST, odds are their names will be different. Much less how many children they have and other details. Same with Luke. So therein lies the problem with the EU trying to connect to the ST.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Book stuff until 45 ABY or so with gaps in later years. Then Legacy comics 130+ years later

Revanfan1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.