main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Harrison Ford (Han Solo) in TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Mar 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Diamonds Are Forever was a one off for Connery, he had no interest in returning to the role due to problems he had with producer Harry Saltzman. He did Diamonds strictly for money... and ego. Connery had felt slighted for years as Bond and did not feel he was compensated financially for being the star of the biggest movie franchise on the planet. $1 million is what brought him back. It made him one of the highest paid actors of all time at that time. Connery also stipulated United Artists sign him to a multi-picture deal; UA agreed to a three picture deal with Connery.

As for money, it's not about the actual money, it's about your worth in the industry, it's ego driven; the bigger the contract, the bigger your perceived worth. Ford's star has been waning in recent years, and a big contract and multi-picture deal with Disney is just the ticket to show the industry you are still a valuable asset. Using Indy as a negotiating tactic is a smart move on Ford's part, and I have ZERO doubt he's done so. If you recall Disney previously made no mention of Indy as a property when they bought Lucasfilm and had stated there was little interest in revisiting the franchise at the time due to distribution rights obstacles with Paramount. Those obstacles were removed in December when Disney came to an agreement with Paramount and secured the rights for future films. That likely involved some form of financial compensation in addition to the announced profit percentage Paramount will receive for future films.

Where there's smoke there's fire.

Yancy

2. Brookstone

Brookstone Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 10, 2014
    I think if he tries he can do it, just depends on his effort level. Outside of a few recent roles we haven't seen much emotion in his acting over the past few years.

3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Either smart or incredibly stupid, depending on your point of view. Is there still life left to the Indy franchise? How long can you spin the theme of hunting for artifacts while fighting bad guys?

4. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    Is anyone open to the possibility that Ford just wants to do it? I keep seeing all the reasons he would have to be bribed with, but...what if Lucas asked him way back when and he was like "Oh yea man, sure!" And then it went from there?

5. Erevador

Erevador Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 10, 2013
    I think Ford is at the point in his career where he is no longer focused on leading man roles and is just having fun. Being in Anchorman 2 and Expendable 3 is not something he would have done 20 years ago. He's enjoying himself. I don't find it hard to believe that he would enjoy revisiting Han Solo at this point in his career.

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012

Absolutely. Even if he did use Episode VII to bargain for another Indy movie that doesn't mean he doesn't want to do both. It means he's smart and knows he has some leverage to get both done. Unless someone knows Harrison personally there's no way to know for sure what his reasons are for coming back.

7. SuperPersch

Apr 25, 2004

That's what I'm thinking. Hell, it might have just come up conversationally in negotiations. "You know what I would love to do again? Another Indy." I imagine a similar statement would prompt about a dozen Disney execs to go sprinting down the hallway to get the papers drawn up.

EHT and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  8. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Well, he said he found the character of Han Solo uninteresting.

9. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    It could be that thirty years on he has a new perspective on the character.

EHT likes this.
  10. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    Didn't he attend that ESB 30th Anniversary thing that they did? I remember seeing photos of him there with Billy Dee Williams and Peter Mayhew. I was both surprised and delighted that he was there after things he's said about Han in the past, so it's certainly possible that he's had a change of heart where SW is concerned in recent years.

11. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    I agree with him if he's talking about Han Solo in ROTJ. It's one of two major beefs I have with the OT.

12. SuperPersch

Apr 25, 2004

That is only a small piece of the puzzle, I think. There's so much more than just him playing Han that will embody his experience shooting a new movie. He'll be back with old friends, he'll be having fun on set, working with a big-name director, seeing the fans be excited for a new Star Wars movie. I mean there's just so much in the experience of making a movie that saying he found the character uninteresting is only a fraction of what, I'm sure, "making a Star Wars movie" means to Ford on a personal level.

13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    It was more Han Solo = "my most uninteresting role" period, not only ROTJ Han.

If of all *****y roles he had Han is the worst in his mind, that is pretty bad.

Edit: Gotta star out the whole word.

14. SuperPersch

Apr 25, 2004
    Really? Where/when did he say that?

And I don't mean that in a "I DONT BELIEVE YOU" kind of way. I'm just interested.

15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I may have misremembered. I can't find any quotes about Han being the most uninteresting role. However he has called Han "boring" and that his death would've given it some "bottom".

16. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

Yeah, I've never heard him call Han "the most uninteresting", I *have* heard him say he found him *less* interesting than Indiana Jones though. But that's not the same thing (and I actually disagree with him there).

Also, I remember reading an article a few months back "tracking" Harrison Ford's feelings on Han Solo. And the author noted that it really wasn't until ROTJ that he seemed to lose interest in him--before that he seemed quite enthusiastic about playing the character. So it really makes me wonder if the misuse of him in ROTJ really is at the root of these negative feelings (And like a poster just mentioned, I wouldn't disagree with him there).

So, yeah, if they're offering Han Solo a more interesting arc this time around, I think that would go a long way to re-engaging him with the character. *shrug* That's just me thinking out loud though….

17. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Considering that between ANH and TESB, he didn't do anything he's really remembered for and then between TESB and ROTJ he did Raiders and Blade Runner, I can see him going from "Han Solo is the most interesting role I've had" after two SW movies to "Han Solo is no longer the most interesting role I've had." after 3 SW movies, Raiders and Blade Runner.

I don't think his role in ROTJ is insignificant, but it's not quite as significant as ANH or TESB, so I can see where these other roles would stretch his acting skills more then the work he was required to put in for Jedi.

SuperPersch likes this.
  18. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    You guys are pulling decade old quotes of Harrison talking bout Solo.
    The guy went through something of a career transformation a few years ago, probably starting with Cowboys & Aliens where he stopped trying to be a leading man and just said F it, I'll be anything.
    Remember, straight after the Disney deal went down he was quoted as saying then he'd be up for playing Solo

BigAl6ft6, HanSolo29 and Yanksfan like this.
  19. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    That's what I believe as well - ROTJ is the root to the whole problem. The Making of ROTJ book goes into detail about certain problems plaguing the production, this included. They provide quotes from not only Ford, but others as well, stating that Ford was unhappy with the direction of the character and as a result, he had a very 'ho-hum' attitude about the character during the production. They also mentioned that he had become a leading man since they did ESB and that he was looking for a more 'beefy' role to accommodate his rising star. Instead, the focus shifted to Luke (rightly so) and I think that deterred him a bit as well to see that he was in more of a supporting role - more so than the previous two films.

But again, times have changed and as was previously noted, Ford has stopped seeking leading roles for quite some time. He seems to be happy as a supporting player, which is what I would imagine Han would be in Episode VII. Perhaps Han's presence in the ST would also give him a chance to pursue that character arc that he never got in ROTJ. I really don't know the reason, but there's one thing I do know - Harrison seems genuinely interested and excited to reprise the role and really, that's all that matters.

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I keep wondering if Ford is being a stickler about signing, he probably has them dead to rights and could drag it out for Max Dollars. He has been taking a lot of supporting roles lately but he has a hellova lot more leverage when it's being freakin' Han Solo again than he would in over movies. However, I can't see him really being totally against it since his career trajectory lately has been more focused on colourful supporting roles instead of leads, of which Han Solo is basically the quintessential version of that.

21. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Maybe they've all signed but they're waiting to make a big announcement. May the 4th could be the day

22. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    You know one thing that is different this time around is the lack of George. I suspect if George were involved in the production then Ford would have signed on with no hesitation out of a sense of obligation to Lucas. He always speaks very highly of George and has even said the he feels a tremendous sense of loyalty to his friend. However, he's under no such obligation with Disney... sure there's Kathleen Kennedy, but beyond that he's really dealing with just another studio. Why not drive up asking price, or ask for another Indy picture, he really is in a no lose position. He doesn't need Star Wars, but if this trilogy is going to start off featuring the Big 3, then Star Wars needs Ford.

Yancy

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I think he will want to work on it for himself. Star Wars is a huge step up from Cowboys & Aliens & Enders Game. He seems to want to revisit his iconic roles - Indy & Blade Runner sequels are also in development.

By the way, he has a good relationship with Abrams. They worked together on Henry & have been friends ever since.

24. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    Oh, I have no doubt he's fully on board, but he's going to make Disney pay, including guaranteeing he gets another crack at Indy.

Darth_Downunder likes this.
  25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-feed/20...ison-fordbarely-tolerating-our-questions.html

Read the recent Ender's game interview.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.