main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist mes520

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by mes520, Mar 16, 2014.

1. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Hello, never really posted in this forum before. I've just mainly posted my work in the Episode VI thread, but not all of it's VII related. So I thought I should finally make my way here.

Anyway I'm a Graphic Design student. Love making Episode VII posters and other Star Wars art. The program I mainly use in my work (both SW and non) is Adobe Illustrator.

[​IMG]

Sithaldo likes this.
  2. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Welcome mes520 to Fan Art :)

What gave you the inspiration for the concept for the poster? The quote evokes the Prequel era with the contents rising out of the urn suggests that one of Plagueis' experiments on the midichlorians has been unleashed.

Always welcome to show off your works here too :)

3. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

Oh gosh, this is just like critique at school. Except it's not in person and I'm not nervous, turning red, and shaking. Plus I guess it's more practice for Major Review.

Well I wanted to do some Plagueis and Episode VII related work. So I started with Plagueis, but I wanted something else. Something new. Something I hadn't really seen in another piece before. So I started thinking and looking around on Wookiepedia and Googling Plagueis for inspiration. Then I remembered how it was said Palpatine had an urn with his Mater's ashes in it. I don't recall ever seeing a fan piece involving the urn. So I drew the urn, but I wanted it to look for creepy, sinister, Sithly. I decided to add the fog like thing looking coming out of the urn. And it can be whatever the audience's imagination wants it to be. One of Plagueis' experiments, the Sith Lord coming back from the dead, his midichlorians, etc etc.I thought about making it red, but no. Didn't like it. So I added the green and liked it. It was creepy and haunting. Next, I added a Gaussian Blur to give the glowing effect. Then I added some green on the urn for light and reflection and the reflection to make it seem more life like,

Next I decided it would be good to have a quote. Another thing to grab the audience. I had thought of adding one from the Plagueis novel, but couldn't find one that quite clicked,. So I added to the one from ROTS. Also it does help connect things from the Prequel Trilogy. Its text is called Georgia. Not sure it's the correct choice, and I had hard time with choice on that. The title text is called Star Jedi. It's a text I downloaded.

I do most of my work in Adobe Illustrator. I have been working with the pencil tool heavily on this piece and the last few months in work at school. Can't think of anything else.

4. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Thank you for giving an insight into your creative processes. :)

I do love the connection and makes it feels that things are coming full circle from pre Palpatine era to post Palpatine era. I think you made the right call with using green instead of red for the mist. It does give it a more mysterious feels and got me wondering what other sorcery is at work, whether it be Mother Talzin or one of the Nightsisters had anything to do with the release of the contents. I feel that maybe a faint hint of a backlight on the left hand edge of the urn might be beneficial to make it stand out a bit more on the poster and add a bit of depth.

I am looking forward to seeing more of your works.

I know that feeling! Especially you are standing in front of the entire room and all their eyes are looking at you while you are under the spotlight. All the best with your studies, how are you finding them so far?