main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC JediWarrior And Connemara Missing In Afghanistan (Update: What a ****show.)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Fire_Ice_Death, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Let's recap, since Vivec's fallen back on his "I have nothing to say so I'm going to accuse of trolling" routine. I'm not trolling, Vivec, I'm offended by your transparent and self-serving faux-outrage at my comments.

So, in summary:

Man, possibly of White Alquaiadiaidiada affiliation, and with dubious connections in first marriage, gets naive and un-worldly pregnant partner to go to Afghanistan with him. Blogger notes meeting the pair, and that despite good advice they were going to press into the more dangerous areas of the country. Pair get kidnapped by extremists, reported to be Taliban.

So here's a simple question for the Vs - you and Vivec - using only a yes/no answer, please respond to the below question:

"Would Connemara, irrespective of if she's pregnant or not, have been in Afghanistan and been kidnapped if she'd never hooked up with JediWarrior?"

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Irrelevant to your attitude and hyprocrisy, and general derision when you hit the Post button. You need to get over yourself.

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    You realize that question is unanswerable with just a yes or no, right?

4. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    This conversation is all kinds of strange, and as much as I want to stop reading it I just can't.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ender, Ender, Ender. What will we do with you. You seem to be under the impression that we're all afraid to cast blame because we're too busy being precious instead of honest, or some such. It's not that. It's the indifference to a person's life that's so appalling.

You said you care as little as his life as he cared for Connemara's. Funny that you so happily equate yourself with him. Your words, though, not mine.

And then you mention the hypocrisy of the dizfactor thing. Yet how well did you know Connemara anyway? I was her friend once, and I'd met her. But I said right at the start of this thread that there were many here who knew her better than I. Kyle and JP come to mind.

But you're the one who has to make sure that everybody knows how indifferent you are -- by also shouting it from the rooftops and making it clear that we simultaneously don't care as much as you do? And you accuse me of courting popularity -- is that your defense to all the folks who "liked" my post? I'd have said the same anyway, but go ahead and use that to distract from the issue anyway.

All we wanted to say is that it's really disturbing to show disregard for human life, and to trumpet that disregard moreover.

It's ok Ender. We get it. You're a tough guy. You can stop AWing now.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Ender only cares about human life when he cause use it to insult America.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Uh-huh. o_O

Iello how can you abide a scenario in which someone who should and arguably does know better puts his partner, who arguably doesn't know better, and his unborn child, in that kind of danger? Jesus I wouldn't have taken you into anywhere remotely shady in Sydney if there was a slight risk of some drunken idiot (ok, some Australian) merely hitting you.

You cannot do that to someone. It's just not ok.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I agree 100%. It's inexcusable. But I still wouldn't be indifferent to the life of the person who did that to me, because I'm better than that person.

I thought you were too.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i doubt that connemara is indifferent toward jediwarrior. the rest of us otoh pretty much totally are. just saying that you're not and patting yourself on the back isn't really that convincing. i mean how much do you really care, jello? what are you doing about it? i think ender is just being honest. (as is his wont)

Sith-Lord-Gunray and Rogue_Ten like this.
  10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Noooooope.

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know JW and his fate doesn't keep me up at night, no. But that's not what I'm trying to say.

I'm saying that "he's a terrible person so who cares if he dies anyway?" Is damned creepy. That's not the same as saying "post images of roses everyone."

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    He has improved. Remember the raging ****show that was his breakup from lexu? :p

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm pretty indifferent to his individual well-being, but there's a difference between that and suggesting he deserves whatever he got for wandering into a warzone.

yankee8255 likes this.
  14. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I can at least agree with that first part.

15. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i don't care how "naive" someone is, you should know the dangers of travelling through ****ing Afganistan whilst carrying an unborn child. we can demonize JW all we want but Connemara has to take some responsibility, too. "she didn't know any better" is no excuse.

16. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    This.

Also, why is she getting a pass on all this? People are talking about her as if she was severely mentally challenged and he dragged her off under false pretenses.

Sure she was naive. But it's Afghanistan. As I said in one of my first posts way back when, you shouldn't even need to check the State Department's warning list to know that that's one place you don't go in your right mind. They were both adults.

That said, I don't wish death on either of them, and hope they and their child make it home.

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

17. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I....don't, actually.

dp4m and tom like this.
  18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    She's not mentally challenged, but I do remember her being a really naive and sheltered "I'm just a girl" type person.

I'm not saying it was all dude's fault. Being naive and sheltered isn't an excuse for having no common sense or protective feelings towards her offspring. She made a dumb decision by choosing to go to Afghanistan. I'm sure she now knows this. I mean, it's likely the same thoughts are going through her head at this exact moment. You know?

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Ender's not that bad. He gives everyone crap, but I honestly think he means well for the most part. He's basically Shaun from the Assassin's Creed games, or to make a less obscure reference, every single Grahm Chapman character ever.

Both of these people, JW and Conn, were stupid for making the decision to backpack in Afghanistan. That doesn't necessarily make them bad people, but like I said, I never knew them. This thread is almost becoming as disastrous as Merlin's ****show 6 months ago.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I personally am giving her a pass because she has the double whammy of being a captive and giving birth in captivity must be distressing beyond words. Yes, she made the decision to go but she also no doubt trusted JW's opinion on their likely safety. It's not a fair standard, but it shouldn't be when children are brought into the equation.

21. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    This reminds me of those f'idiot Americans who thought it would be a good idea to go hiking on the Iran/Iraq border and wandered into Iran. There's a certain sense one has of 'what blatant stupidity, they deserve whatever fate awaits them'. I totally understand that point of view, but don't know either JW or Connemara well enough to completely share it. Nor do I wish harm on anyone.

It's that there's a pregnancy involved that is such an outrage to me. Naive or not, Connemara is an adult and made a choice to go. The baby did not. Was this JW's kid? As a parent, you have a responsibility to keep your kids safe. Why the hell would you- ....I don't understand how- ..... As a father, I'm getting ten different shades of ****ed off so I'm going back to Classic Forums for awhile. I'm bound to offend someone if I continue to say what I really think about this. I'm leaning towards Ender about it. Maybe not as extreme as he put forth- I hope they come back safely, but goddamn what stupidity.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  22. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    sounds like you're giving her a pass just because she's female, thereby being incapable of making her own decisions in life and needing to entrust all that thinking business to The Man who knows all. didn't you post quite a lot in SLG's sexism thread?

i'm sure having your wife and child in captivity is pretty distressing, too, from JW's perspective.

at the end of the day they're both to blame. they both had a responsibility to their child. recklessness, stupidity, naivity, they're all in there together.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah, that's exactly what I'm doing epic, cheers for that.

24. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    That's how it reads.

25. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I read it that way too.