main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Shooting might be headed to Iceland

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TheBBP, Mar 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yes, but parts of iceland are permafrost glaciers and there a few hoth scenes could be shot. It is not at all outlandish even if I personally believe otherwise.

Dewback and Mystery Roach like this.
  2. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    This Iceland/Greenland business is WAY out of hand. Time for a binding resolution from the UN to swap the names.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    No argument. It's just ludicrous to assume it must be for Hoth when the majority of the country looks like Alderaan or the Shire.

4. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I think it doesn't really matter where the film crew goes. People will alway assume they revisit some SW place, whether it be Hoth or Tatooine or Naboo. It's simply easier to imagine that and talk about it than speculating about a new place would be.

Bail B. Baobab likes this.
  5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  6. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

I am guilty of it. Pretty sure I did it in the opening post. I was trying to get it posted for you guys and did not even consider where they were really talking. Especially when the article itself mentioned Hoth. Either way, I don't see the need to treat people like they are stupid because they did it. You wouldn't believe how many people that I have to tell that it really does not rain for most of the year in Washington State. It's just that it rains a TON in rainy season. We actually have beautiful springs, summers and falls.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  7. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Oh, my initial statement on the name causing people fits was quite tongue-in-cheek. But, then it was responded to like I had pushed a person in a wheelchair down a flight of stairs. I just wanted to live up to the hype.

EHT, Darth_Articulate and TheBBP like this.
  8. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    This. As for me, I swear that person was faking it to collect disability. It's not my fault they were so persistent that they stayed in the chair.

9. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    I didn't see anyone here treating others like they're stupid. It's more about making light the kind of silliness we all do sometimes, including myself, while at the same time trying to make others aware of the error.

Sorry about the double post, but I didn't think TheBBP would be notified if I manually edited the quote box into the previous pos.

TheBBP likes this.
  10. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

I didn't get a notification, but I see ya.

11. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012

YES! Love Iceland. It has such an awesome primordial vibe to it. It feels ancient and batter worn, as if the Gods themselves battled there eons ago. Kind of a great place to start things over, symbolically too. It also looks desolate…like a certain Tatooine…but with more life.

We haven't seen landscapes quite like this in Star Wars either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then check out this church there, which already has a cool Star Wars vibe to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    It isn't a matter of what Iceland looks like, it is more a matter of trying to figure out what Iceland has that makes it an ideal on-location shooting set. What does Iceland have that Great Britain doesn't?

The primary shoot is taking place in London. If the Iceland rumor is true, I highly doubt they are going there to film scenes taking place on lush, green, fertile hills. Even though Iceland has those things, they probably wouldn't go there when such a setting exists much closer.

As for my usage of the word "frigid" I am not going to argue semantics. I spent the past few years in Texas and now live in California. One man's "frigid' is another's "temperate."
    Nope
    Then I can think of about 1,000 places much closer to London that you've never been to.
    You're right. I'm sure they are going to Iceland to film the rolling, lush green hills. Because there is absolutely no place more conveniently located near London where they could possibly film such a setting. Nope. No such place I can think of closer to London would fit that type of setting.

Just out of curiousity, what have I done to deserve such scorn? At worst, I made a geographic boo-boo. I called Iceland "frigid." Did that comment really merit your response?

13. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Some of the vistas would be great places for the home of the whills. Oops-starting a new rumor.

As far as Alderaan-it's gone, but that doesn't mean they can't have a location inspired by the descriptions of Alderaan.

The Skye Islands of nearby Scotland is also a heavily rumored shooting location. Much of the similar rocky hills and mountains are found there too. Common link would indicate that they want that kind of physical backdrop-something we haven't seen in SW yet.

Iron_lord and Darth_Pevra like this.
  14. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    My speculation they may be going there for a cold weather shoot (despite how much that theory upsets others for some reason), or something volcanic.

However, after seeing the above pictures, I would love it if they were going to use some of that real-world architecture. There isn't exactly what I consider a lot of real world architecture in Star Wars, but there is a little. The Massassi Ruins and locations in Theed come to mind.

15. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Force Ghost star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    Just tossing this out there.

Isn't it quite amazing that there are such stunningly beautiful places on our planet that they are used in films designed to capture our imagination and dream of far-off magical places beyond our comprehension?

OK. Back to Star Wars.

16. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    Good point, which I didn't consider. Why would the crew go that far up north at all when the nonfrigid parts of Iceland are no different than anything that can be found in Britain. Is this true though? can one find the kind of spectacular landscapes shown on the post before yours in Britain? I don't know if that's true, but I do see how one can assume any move up north must have to do with ice/snow, and not just be going by the word "ice" in the name of the country. So I was probably being too presumptuous myself.

I think I was just frustrated that people seemed to be ignoring a relevant issue, despite my having made two posts about it already as well as others doing so. It still was not meant to be all that serious of a post. (If I really were throwing my hands up, I wouldn't have posted at all)

. Where? Within Britain, you have a case. Outside of Britain, you make it about proximity alone, in which case Norway is much closer than Iceland for the icy/snowy plates.

I think you are taking this too personally and making it about you. Granted, I used the word "frigid", but that's only because you found a better word than "icy/snowy". The all caps should be taken in context of my previous posts in this thread, which had nothing to do with you. You just unwittingly tripped over a ticking time bomb ;) But not one that meant any harm.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Beezer - I am from northern Ireland. I know where they could find some green hills. While your preceived victimization is appreciated (and I mean that sincerely), I'm not the one who quoted another person's post and began a breakdown of what I found fault with in it. As to your reasonable question: Why would they go to Iceland for greenery or rockscapes when there are more convenient locations...? Probably for the same reason they could have filmed some sort of Lars homestead in the same part of southern California where they filmed the R2/Jawa sequence but instead flew across the planet to Tunisia. By the exact same reasoning, if they want snow and ice, I don't know why they would go to Iceland and not to a country that actually offers a greater standard of such geography, such as the equally poorly named Greenland..

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  18. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    I know they can find lush, rolling green hills on the island of Great Britain but there can also be any one of a thousand reason why they would go to Iceland. Tax breaks, local scenery, proximity to other sets, etc. My theory - which I gladly admit is just speculation - is they would not go to Iceland for greenery.
    There is real world architecture in Tunisia that they used for E4. It would make no sense whatsoever to fly to Tunisia to film Mos Eisley and then relocate the whole company all the way to California for other "pure desert" scenes such as the Lars Homestead or the Dune Sea. So that is why they went halfway around the world instead of the southern CA desert (though it is worth noting that the SE pick up Tatooine scenes were indeed filmed in CA).

19. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    No speculation is ridiculous unless it's baseless (such as basing it solely on a country's name) so don't think I'm against speculation. That's what we're all (presumably) here for. But now your theory that they aren't there for the greenery seems unsupported by your reasoning. For just as there can be any one of a thousand reasons for going to Iceland, there could be just as many reasons, and some of them the same, for NOT shooting the vistas in Great Britain. To use your own example, if tax breaks are good in Iceland, they might be better than in Great Britain. It could be cheaper to shoot luscious greens in Iceland, which would weaken your theory rather than support it.

The fact that it's Spring and they are moving north is the only reasonable grounds I can think to guess that they want colder weather.

20. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Awesome

Iron_lord and Lurknomore like this.
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Or they may want one specific location (possibly a manmade construct, even...) not replicated anywhere else.

22. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Post script: While we're on the subject of ignorance of geography, there isn't a single (knowledgeable) person that would categorize flying from London to Tunisia as (to quote you) "flying across the planet." California is roughly 4 times (as the crow flies) further from London than Tunisia is.

In fact, London is closer to Tunis, Tunisia than it is to Reykjavik, Iceland. So if E7 goes from London to Iceland, I guess you would consider that "flying across the planet" huh?

23. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
  24. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Hey if they're filming in Iceland maybe they can get bjork to make an appearance as some sort of alien chanteuse in some cantina:

25. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Never mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.