main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2014 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by Souderwan, Dec 31, 2013.

1. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    So after complaining that I hadn't lost weight I am now down 10 lbs! My pants don't fit and people are noticing so that is exciting! I am also noticing an increased fitness level (still not where I want to be but I can ride more and jump a little and not feel like I am going to die.)

Mobile sock of s65horsey

Kiki-Gonn and Admiral Volshe like this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm doing the 5K to 10K app now; part of its training involves increasing speed.

3. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I went running while the weather looked nice and sunny - ten minutes in and I got hailed on!

******* British weather.

heels1785 and Kiki-Gonn like this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I've been running outside mostly, and it's been a slow but sure struggle due to the footing and the wind.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Outside here too. My biggest issue lately has been the mud.

6. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    So, I went to weigh myself last Monday and the scales weren't in the shop as usual. The woman behind the counter tells me they're being repaired so I try to tell a joke about the fact that it must have been from when I used them last week. She totally didn't get the joke :(

On the upside, the scales were back for weigh-in tonight and I'm down to 15st 2lb!

Kiki-Gonn, Souderwan and Juliet316 like this.
  7. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    My balance had been out of batteries for months and yesterday we finally put new batteries in and lo and behold, I have gained 5 lbs. That explains why I've been slowing down in my runs. Oh well, time to cut down on beer.

8. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    God you guys live in lousy climates. 75 and sunny in Newport Beach CA today. Kinda unfair as we don't have winter. I jogged from The Wedge to the 23rd street Pier and back to my place on Bay and 9th. Surfing the web in my beach chair watching all the yachts and sailboats. The Yacht club is having practice with the Jr High Kids on the 3 meter sailboats for a race next month.

I have made the decision in order to drop the last weight Im going Atkins if I want to do that pier to pier swim Im too damm old to get all this in order without drastic measures. I am still stuck at 5000 meters 4X-5X a week in the pool that won't cut if I need to drop that last 25 lbs and get to 7500meters 5X A week
    and be doing it by JUNE 1 so Im running out of time. I OWE myself this one so all bets are off, whatever it takes

Kiki-Gonn likes this.
  9. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Finally managed to get back into the exercise routnie these last two days. Gotten in just over 11 miles. Still got more running to do.

Kiki-Gonn and Juliet316 like this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Never mind. It's cold again.:(

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    So today was my first day of weight training with a personal trainer. After an hour, and pretty light weights, I could barely stand or talk. I've always done cardio, and never paid much attention to weights - man, did I get the wake-up today.

Will be a good night's sleep.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Almost four miles tonight. I haven't gotten much faster, maybe a minute per mile, I'm still more about trying to add distance at this point.

Kiki-Gonn, Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  13. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I ran for the first time in a while today.
    Had a day to myself so I ran 5 miles outside. I was going to run more but the last mile and a half was all uphill (if barely) and that did me in let me tell you.
    It was nice being outside but my feet were not used to the pavement. Think I need new shoes too.

14. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    How do you guys have the energy to run and stuff after work? I want to start gyming on weekdays again, but I'm always so tired when I get home. Mornings won't work either because sleep is more important.

15. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Well I'm unemployed right now so that helps :)
    Really I've gotten more out of shape while being out of work because the key is routine.
    At my last job working out at a nearby gym was just part of the weekly grind. IMO, immediately after work (if not earlier) or it isn't going to happen.

16. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Safety in numbers. My Seasonal Affective Disorder is really making me want to be a hermit right now but my roommate drags me to Zumba every evening. If she wasn't there to go with me I'd probably not go right now.

17. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I'm part-time employed for the time being, so I can run in the mornings and I don't have to be up at unnaturally early hours for that. But, even as a full-time employee, I had to force myself to be up early and go for a run; otherwise I would not be able to exercise at all because at the end of a workday I'm usually too hungry or lazy. So for me it's either working out in the morning or not at all :p

18. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    I've been getting up at 0530 to get to the gym because I realized it's too much of a struggle to make the time in the evenings, for me. It can be quite a challenge to make that work--especially if you don't go to bed by say 10pm.

On the other hand, I consistently find that I have way more energy on days that I get up and work out than not. Also, like Kiki said, for me it's part of my daily routine now.

19. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Mmm yeah 5:30 will not work for me, I have to go to bed around 1. I think I would die.

20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    lately i've just been working out once a week on one of my days off. it's not ideal, but better than nothing at all.

21. Da'wid Yott

Da'wid Yott Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2014
    @Sourdewan,

You hit the nail on the head. Working out can be very challenging when you first start or re-start from an extended lay-off. The trick is to make it a daily routine/choice. I have to wake up at 4:30am to get my run in if I want to make it part of my daily routine. I then try to workout 40-60 minutes in my [home] gym after I get off work, else I would never get to exercise. It can be a pain, especially since I am no longer a spring-chicken, but it is about making a decision and making it part of the routine like showering and brushing your teeth....though sometimes even the toothbrush feels heavy!!

It all depends on ones schedule (work/school/etc) and sometimes the motivation can be a challenge, but if I can enter a 10K or Mud Run every so often, it helps in pushing myself the days I just do not feel up to it. I pat anyone on the back who fits running/exercising into their daily routine.

Souderwan likes this.
  22. Da'wid Yott

Da'wid Yott Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2014
  23. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    So I was supposed to run a half marathon in May, but have a severe case of runners knee and the orthopedist told me running that half (and likely running in general) is out.

Need to find other ways to get off the couch. I could bike at the gym, but that feels boring since I'd be sitting most of the time. My gym also doesn't have a pool for swimming.

24. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    I hear you. An option I tried--it didn't work for me too well because it conflicted with me spending time with my son, but it might work for you--is a workout between 5pm and 7 pm followed by dinner. I mostly tried to do body-weight exercises or light weight-work at home. I really liked that as part of my routine because I ended the day with a shower and bed, which felt great. Also, it's hard to eat crappy food right after you got done working out :p

DarthWilliams, have you considered trying weight training?

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If I don't put on my running clothes and go right after work, without giving myself time to think about how tired I am, it won't happen. And I always feel so good after I run that I'm able to keep that in the forefront of my mind, even if it means that I run slower and don't go as far.

Good luck SLG. :)

Souderwan likes this.