main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What would have happened to Anakin/ Darth Vader if he survived his final encounter with Palpatine?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Mach, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    Upon removing Vader's helmet, i would love the following interchange to occur:

"Luke, Obi-Wan & Yoda didn't tell you of their overly involved plan to bring the Papatine out into the open with his plans of Imperial reign and then strike him down when at his pomp. Yes Luke, search your feelings, you know that I've been undercover all this time, only a true master of the force could keep up this scenario for so long."

" b-b-but you've killed so many!"

"Not really, all the rebels were told to play dead, Alderan was a massive mind trick Obi-Wan, Yoda and I pulled on you all, it's still there - we told them all the Planet was under quarantine, that's why you've not heard from them. Why do you think I force choke so many imperial officers? Bringing them down from the inside! Hey not bad, not bad!"

"My mother? You caused her to die!!"

"Nonsense, Boba Fett armour fitted her so well, why do you think she kept her future son in law on ice. You must at least have guessed at that one, no?, Why do you think Boba's my go to Bounty Hunter? I hear you got your sister to do a similar bountry hunter impression not so long ago!"

"Really, that's not possible."

"Of course it is, now let's get out of here, this Death Star isn't even complete, i had to rush the final bit of the plan to off Palpy I just couldn't take the pressure of undercover work anymore!"

Jair Crawford and thedarkbeckons like this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's a life-support suit.

3. thedarkbeckons

thedarkbeckons Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2013
    Technically correct, though if you have the technology to create bionic limbs that are indistinguishable from the original (at least to the human eye and touch), debatably you could also have bionic lungs with absolutely no signs of such a device on the outside. Aside from that, my guess is that Vader could probably survive without his suit about fifteen minutes before going into a life-threatening asthmatic fit.

4. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    That's pretty much what I had in mind. Obviously he would need prosthetics, breathing apparatus, etc, but it wouldn't have to be the same black armor/suit we all know and love.

thedarkbeckons likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    A simpler approach - just paint the suit white, if much of it is irremovable:

6. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Uh.... call me crazy, but I doubt a paint job would fool terribly many people for terribly long.....

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Trying to "fool people" is a mistake in the first place - better to let them know from the start that it is Vader - but he's no longer on the Empire's side.

8. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    The light/dark whole approach of SW fails for me. I'd much prefer just being straightforward as well.

9. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    I don't think that would work. As mentioned by many others in this thread, people would want him to be tried and punished. Plus it would look pretty lame to the general populace if the Emperor was killed, the 2nd Death Star destroyed, the Empire in complete disarray, and the #2 guy of the entire Empire conveniently changes sides.

I think they would keep his entire existence super-top-secret and just have him hanging out in the background giving general advice. Maybe help train Luke and/or Leia a little... of course, IMHO, there wouldn't be any real reason not to let others know that this was Anakin Skywalker (but that gets us back to the question being debated in another thread regarding precisely who knew Anakin = Vader)....

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Problem is - secrets always get out. And then they look even worse.

11. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    Yeah, I highly doubt the Rebels/General Populace is going to welcome Darth Vader back to their side so easily. Something about Aiding in blowing up Aldeeraan, murdering numerous people, and other countless things just doesn't sit right with some people...

12. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    I feel like there's a whole aspect to the question that's being ignored.

When Palpatine dies, there is a huge embodiment of the Dark side that is gone from the GFFA. They speak about the shadow of the Dark side a lot in the PT, and how it obscures the Jedi's abilities and connection to the Force.

Would Vader be different from an anger and personality perspective once Palpatine was gone? Would the shadow be lifted, and would he find it easier to transition back to Anakin Skywalker?

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Indeed, Palpatine has been twisting Anakin's mind since he arrived at the Temple. Would that make a difference now that his influence is gone?

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I believe it would but that it would take time. Anakin would need to be rehabilitated in a way and I believe he could be. Yet, many of his internal scars he would bear for life and the galaxy's hatred and anger wouldn't help his coping or healing.

15. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Don't be silly. Secrets don't "always get out." The secrets you know about are the ones that got out, but the ones that people actually kept are the ones you don't know about.

Obi-yoda likes this.
  16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The point being, that cover-ups generally don't work - and can be counterproductive.

17. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    You both have points, boys. Cover ups don't work but truly keeping a confidence does. Problem is it's rarely done.

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

*cough*Edward Snowden*cough*. *cough*Watergate*cough*

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    I would think that after being a co-conspirator in destroying an entire planet, he would at the very least have to stand trial for that. While he may have been the chosen one, and ultimately fulfilled his destiny (which was a good thing), the path he chose to get to his destiny was his own, thus he was fully responsible for his actions. The Force may have "forgiven" him, but, I don't think the Rebellion would have been so quick to do so.

20. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    How do you even know that? The cover-ups that work are the ones we never hear about, so we really don't have much clue about how well a cover up can work.

The galaxy wasn't aware Anakin became Vader, were they? Sure sounds to me like our Sith friends executed a pretty successful cover-up. I don't see why no one thinks Luke, Leia and Han could do the same.

Obi-yoda likes this.
  21. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Why? Let it remain a mystery.

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Where's the fun in that?

23. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

A lot of fun. Mysteries are fun. Learn to accept the uncertainties of life.

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Mysteries are meant to be solved.
    Yeah, we don't know how our lives will turn out but lets make them memorable.

25. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

How does solving mysteries make our lives memorable? Why is it so hard for humans to accept the uncertainties of life? Is it that frightening?