main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Harrison Ford (Han Solo) in TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Mar 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Doing SW was a no brainer for where his career was at in 1975...& it's a no brainer for where his career is at now. The circle is now complete.

2. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    The man is pure gold in interviews. I love his reply about Ender's Game and Hunger Games and people's fascination with stories about kids killing other kids... pure Ford.

Yancy

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Exactly, especially if Solo ends up as a supporting character in the ST (or just Episode VII). I thinking having the chance to play Solo again in the twilight of his career has done wonders for his state of mind.

4. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    I have managed to see Ender's Game yesterday for the first time and Harrison was great in that, I have no doubt that he will be able to shine in VII...

5. StarWars2015

StarWars2015 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2012
    The key to Episode 7 is Harrison Fords performance...................if they bring us a older and and even more seasoned Han Solo who drives the story then, be prepared to be blowed away like no time since the Empire Strikes Back !!

Yanksfan likes this.
  6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Harrison is obviously important but for me he won't make or break the film. That will be Mark Hamill and the new trio.

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I agree.

StarWars2015: I think you're putting too much emphasis on the role Han will ultimately play in the ST. I don't think his role will be large enough to impact the overall experience to the extent that you are suggesting. While I have no doubt that he will play an integral part, the heavy-lifting will be reserved for the new cast and their respective characters. I know it was rumored that the Big Three will be in a starring role for Episode VII, but I suspect that has been blown out of proportion a bit and in actuality, they will have strong supporting roles, such as Obi-Wan in ANH or Qui-Gon in TPM. Both of which are perfectly fine for me.

Of course, I could be totally wrong on that point as well and if so, I wouldn't be terribly upset about that either (I could always go for more Han! :p) We'll just have to wait and see how things pan out.

8. PANAKIN_Hightalker

PANAKIN_Hightalker Jedi Master star 1

Oct 18, 2003
    I dunno... I think that Ford would be more concerned about scripting and paycheck issues than any disdain that he may or may not still harbor for the Solo character. We've already been told that the OT3 are to play more of supporting roles and thus that would've obviously been included in the pitch to bring him back aboard. Ford also knows how popular the Solo character is to the story, so that would've also been part of the pitch as well (as IF they really would've needed to remind him), which provides him and his agent great bargaining leverage- and of course Disney/Lucasfilm would've been well prepared for and in expectation of.

To me it's like this:
    -Ford is on board because he's cool with the script, his role and the pay
    -Ford is not on board because he's not cool with at least one of those three elements
    -Ford is not on board because Disney/Lucasfilm didn't feel the haggling was worth it

Since the new leads have been reported to not be big-time A-listers, then that leaves more financial wiggle room to pay Ford what he may be asking for, and Ford strikes me somewhat as a "money talks" type of guy.

9. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    I'd like to see Solo as a wizened, mysterious old man with a past that the new kids don't get...sort of like the Obi-Wan role in ANH. Everyone seems to suggest that would be Luke, but why not turn it on its head a bit? Ford could have fun with that.

10. DNateos

DNateos Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 21, 2012
    We did? Exactly where?

Yanksfan likes this.
  11. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

Ha ha, I'm completely the opposite. The Big 3 is what has me excited for this film. And while I love all three of them, Mark is probably the one I love the least. :p

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    While Luke has always been my favorite character that's not really the reason I think he'll be the one to make or break the film rather than Harrison. I just think Luke will have a much more significant role in the film and ultimately the trilogy than Han or even Leia will. Luke is the only absolutely pivotal OT character in the ST IMO and so Hamill's performance will be crucial.

Bob Octa and HanSolo29 like this.
  13. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    I can see an invisible thread between J. J. Abrams' two Star Trek instalments and Harrison Ford's Han Solo's potential role in the ST.
    On the first subject, Star Treks '09 and Into Darkness, among other goals, aimed to please the general public, not just the ST fans. That way they got better reviews, they earned more than their predecessors and they were fun (that's a subjective remark as is the one that I think they lost that unique ST substance).
    On the second thing, Han Solo. Let's face it, he's an icon. Yes, Luke is the main character in the OT, an ideal to strive for, ultimate good guy, but everyone wanted to be Han Solo, a smuggler whose cool insouciance, wise-ass wisecracks and maverick, shoot-kinda-first sensibilities gave the trilogy a major adrenaline injection (by Empire Magazine) and who gets a girl in the end. Han is a character often referenced in the OT reviews (ArmchairsDirectors, for example, named him Star Wars), even in the PT reviews (again, ArmchairsDirectors referenced the absence of a character with his traits in the PT as a PT's failure), he made the OT fun and often presents a leverage in someone's opinions on which trilogy is better.
    The connection between Abrams and Ford lies in a potential to draw general public to cinemas. I perceive Han Solo as a character who serves as a model to that. In this moment, as not a part of the Skywalker lineage, he's not a part of the really main story, but a supporting character whose myth made him bigger than he really is and who can make SW interesting to wide audience... And the critics and the OT fans.
    I'd agree that Harrison Ford is not really necessary to the ST, the trilogy should be able survive that, with the focus on other characters.
    The real question is, can Arndt, Abrams and especially Kasdan (who wrote two OT movies with Han in the main role) so easily discard Solo's reputation and the audience potential, can the ST work without Han Solo?

14. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Same. To me it's about the story, as well as continuity with the other films. Luke is the only one that I find necessary, but having all three will be a major plus.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  15. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    Disney is probably throwing buckets of cash at Harrison for SW VII and Indy V.

16. PANAKIN_Hightalker

PANAKIN_Hightalker Jedi Master star 1

Oct 18, 2003

Ok, well perhaps a smidge short of an OFFICIAL announcement, but nonetheless:

http://www.hitfix.com/news/george-l...nd-hamill-will-return-for-star-wars-episode-7

-The Walt Disney Co. is producing a new "Star Wars" trilogy to take place after Lucas' original three space epics. J.J. Abrams is directing the first film. The 70-year-old Ford, the 61-year-old Hamill and the 56-year-old Fisher are expected to play smaller, supporting roles.

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-episode-7-start-date-carrie-fisher-mark-hamill-harrison-ford/

-It was Fisher who flat-out-announced her return in Episode VII some 10 months ago – before her agent hurriedly passed it off as a “joke” – and now the actress/script doctor has confirmed what we’ve all known for some time (despite the lack of an official announcement from Disney/Lucasfilm): that she and her Episode IV-VII costars Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill will be working on Abrams’ Star Wars movie.

In recent weeks, claims have been circulating that Abrams and Episode VII co-writer Lawrence Kasdan (The Empire Strikes Back) have retooled the original story in the script draft engineered by Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3). According to sources close to the project (dispatched by THR), Arndt’s version of Episode VII was more focused around the new generation of Skywalker and Solo offspring and kept Luke, Leia and Han more in the background as key supporting players.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/star-wars-4-1201125355/

-As previously reported, Abrams is expected to surround the less-familiar actor with more recognizable stars for supporting parts, including original “Star Wars” cast members Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill.

I suppose that semantics are a wholly legitimate basis of debate and discussion at this point in time [face_tired]

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  17. jimmytheqg

jimmytheqg Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2014
    is there any actual news that Ford will be in the film?

18. RobShanti

RobShanti Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2009
    Nah. If there were, the mods would lock the thread. But patience...

19. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Nevermind

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Harrison Ford will be in VII unless Sean Young signs up as the female lead.

21. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    And Shia LaBeouf can play their illegitimate love child.

22. RobShanti

RobShanti Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2009
    And the Ally McBeal chick has to get a part.

Seriously, though, I'd be shocked if Harrison wasn't in the film even for a single scene. No matter how much bargaining power he wields, or how grumpy he's become, I feel that on some level, he appreciates the significance and cultural impact this role will have. Only a real #!(% would turn his back entirely.

23. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    [​IMG]

General Solo anyone?

GunganSlayer and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  24. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Ever hear the story of how she kept harassing Tim Burton to cast her as Catwoman? She eventually turned up at his office, in character & dressed as Catwoman!

Maybe she'll annoy JJ & confront him in a Leia slave outfit.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes I read about that. Apparently, she crashes Hollywood parties all of the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.