main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What happened with R2-D2 on Mustafar? Why didn't he go find Anakin?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by BigAl6ft6, Nov 24, 2012.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Maybe subparagraph G section 4 of Sith Lord Initiations vol. 4 says, like, "The newly appointed Sith Lord must angrily try to kill his droid whenever he has some downtime" or something like that.

2. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    He did lash out at the medical droid in the end.

3. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    That's cuz he didn't get to kill R2 and his droid blood (erm, oil) lust needed to be sated!

_Sublime_Skywalker_ likes this.
  4. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    You really seem to have a grudge against the poor astromech :(:p

5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Nah, I love R2-D2 which is partly why I'm wondering & made this thread. R2 does have a tendency to go off on his own, but he doesn't seem like the type to blatantly disobey orders ("R2, stay with the ship.") and I'd figure he'd go off and try to find Anakin unless he really knew that Anakin was a lost cause. But how would he know that, cuz he was supposed to stay with the ship!

See, it's like a logic puzzle, the more you think about it, the more circular it gets. I'm nitpicking, it doesn't break the movie or anything, but I'm just wondering.

6. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    Maybe Luke could fly it in Episode 7! :D

7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Maybe what made Anakin cling to life was after he got chopped up and BBQ'd Artoo rolled by, doused him with the fire extinguisher (notice that Anakin is still smoldering / on fire when Obi-Wan lasts sees him and he's just smoking by the time Sidious shows up) but then Artoo had to jet off because he realized his only ride out of the firey Mustafar was going to take off. Anakin didn't expire because he was so ticked off at the droid. That's what put him over the edge.

8. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    "Stay with the ship" seems like a pretty concrete order, and R2 obviously followed it. Besides, he was also loyal to everyone else on board the ship, so he had no qualms leaving Mustafar.

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah but leaving Anakin would seem to be a thing, even if Artoo spent the whole Mustafar trip parked in Anakin's ship diligently.

10. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Artoo probably has WIFI so Threepio probably texted him: "Totes Carnage here! LOL Where U at? Ima chillin at Padme's ship. Holla back!"

11. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    hahaha nice.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If its still around and in workable condition 50-60 years later. I would like to see an Eta-2 Interceptor or successor in the ST. Though I think Luke will stay with an X-Wing.

Legacy Jedi Endordude likes this.
  13. Sophdeon

Sophdeon Jedi Knight

Oct 25, 2010
    Considering that R2's first chronological appearance is as a droid which serves Padme as queen, his loyalty is probably to her over Anakin. Thus it is entirely plausible that he approached her ship upon arrival (even ignoring Anakin's order to stay), possibly witness Anakin attack Padme (or at least its aftermath with her injured), and leave with his original master.

14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

"Yo r2 get here fast... Padme's ship. Anakin crazy now and Padme hurt. Got 2 go. Have u seen OB1?"

15. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    R2 probably just sensed Padme's ship landing and went to check it out. If you go by EU in the Dark Nest trilogy, hasn't he recorded the beginning of the confrontation between Anakin and Padme and later Anakin and Obi-Wan? Presumably R2 must have made his way there... R2 is quite an independent droid and doesn't always follow orders.

Sophdeon likes this.
  16. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    I had not thought about it. But R2 seemed a little bit "freaked out" when Anakin told him to stay with the ship. Perhaps R2 sensed something bad was going on. Although the droids don't have feelings they are programmed with some sort of appreciation of right from wrong and to respond to situations (eg: R2 saving Padme on Geonosis or fighting the battle droids on the Invisible Hand). Perhaps R2 just sensed the situation was: "go with the good guys".

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    R2 seems to already be nervous about Anakin's mental state and intentions before they even arrived at Mustafar. In his conversation with C-3PO at Padme's apartment, he beeps something to C-3PO and C-3PO's reply is "Well, he is under a lot of stress".

18. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    So I was thinking about this the other day. It just hit me...what happened to R2? Did he just fly off after a certain point or did he somehow hitch a ride with Obi-Wan? Did the continuity folks ever address this?

19. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    In the film he follows Obi Wan on board Padme's ship after the fight.

20. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    Oh thanks..it's been awhile since I watched it. So how is it that he knew to do that then? ugh.

21. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    R2-D2 NEVER had a memory wipe. When memories in droids accumulate, they develop "quirks" that could sometimes be interpreted as personalities.

22. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Re-watch ROTS. All of your questions will be answered in that final scene on Mustafar. Obi-wan walks up on board the ship and Artoo simply rolls up behind him. There is no technicality.

23. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Perhaps R2 was ordered to stay with the fighter by Anakin and taken off Mustafar by Obi-Wan, when the latter left with Padme and Threepio.

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah he does leave Mustafar with them, you see him in the movie. It's just a tad odd when Anakin tells him "Artoo, stay with the ship" and then he rolls up to the Queen's ship after the chaos is all over. So apparently Artoo disobeyed Anakin but, as mentioned by EHT even before Mustafar Artoo is showing concern for Anakin, or at least worried about how sane Anakin is being. So he disobeyed the "stay with the ship" order in the end to go check up on Anakin and then, well, after seeing Anakin / Padme / Obi-Wan he decided to ditch Artoo and go back to his original Master, Padme. (who Artoo saw was injured but apparently not quite as injured as Anakin but I'm assuming by the time Anakin was all "I HATE YOU" Artoo was like "Okay, I'm outta here. That kid done gone nuts.")

darklordoftech and EHT like this.
  25. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    Would the same question be considered if it were Yoda rather than Artoo that we were considering? The fact that R2-D2 is a droid should not detract from the fact that he is probably completely aware of everything that is transpiring around him. Remember the expression of sadness on Yoda's face at the end of AOTC? He knew what was about to transpire and that a lot of very bad things were about to happen in order to bring about the downfall of the Sith. Artoo was on the same page as Yoda at the end of ROTS. He is a very insightful little droid.

darklordoftech likes this.