main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Force Ghosts in VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RyanForder, Mar 9, 2014.

?

Which ones do you want to see?

1. Obi-Wan Kenobi

33 vote(s)
    18.3%
  2. Yoda

48 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Anakin Skywalker

49 vote(s)
    27.2%
  4. Qui-Gon Jinn

9 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Palpatine

14 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Other (Please state)

6 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. None

12 vote(s)
    6.7%
  8. Not bothered

9 vote(s)
    5.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    I still think that we'll see the next step of Force Ghosts - fallen Jedi manifesting themselves in a physical (though not living) form. Wasn't the planned finale of ROTJ Obi-Wan and Yoda returning to protect Luke in the saber fight?

Anyway, I'd like to see Anakin as a ghost speaking to Luke in episode VII, potentially Yoda in episode VIII, and Obi-Wan or Anakin or Yoda or (GASP!) Luke returning to a physical form from the ghost realm. I'm one of those kooks who wouldn't mind Luke dying in VII to mirror Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's deaths, however as mentioned, Luke returns in XI though he does not come back to life. He is on some higher plane of existence in which he can move between the living world and the force.

RyanForder and Dra--- like this.
  2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I think the more imporatant question is not 'who will we see as a force ghost', but rather 'what is the role of the force ghost in the ST? To advise, to warn, or to play some other key role in the story'.

3. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    To photo bomb, maybe

EHT likes this.
  4. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    I think Force Ghosts should make up the new Jedi council.

Dra--- likes this.
  5. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I agree. Good question.

The most obvious role is for them to warn, I think, but I'm hoping something new takes place. Immortiss has talked about the villain somehow cutting off the Jedi's access to their Force ghost mentors. I think something like this may be necessary to bring added tension to the ST. If not, the audience knows that Yoda or whoever can always help save the day. The Yoda arc in TCW really highlighted this for me, when Yoda talks about
    eternal victory
    -- as long as there are Force Ghosts, the Jedi are never really extinct.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    If the villain is played by Benedict Cumberbatch, anyway.

Darth_Articulate and Dra--- like this.
  7. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Destroy Dagobah. Destroy life.

Remember that we always agreed that the new villain(s), whoever they may be, should represent an existential threat in the ST. We know who will win in the end. Provide a villain that creates the most doubt in our minds. This, frankly, is why I have an admitted preference for Darth Plagueis. Or some similar character. Sidious is fantastic, but one of the issues I have difficulty with is his inability to restore that precious doubt in the mind. Lucas played up the stakes in ROTJ when it was Luke who had to face Darth Vader and the Emperor alone. At that point there was no stopping Sidious. How in Sam Hell is Luke going to survive? Luke seems to believe that "I'll be dead. And you with me". Did he me 'you', as the Emperor, or me, too?[face_nail_biting]
    I've seen Sidious fall from a great height and I have no doubt it would happen again, if he were to return. A Sith that defeated death and his insidious apprentice; who has Dark Side wisdom and an undefeated track record seems to me the key. But, they might be able to treat Palpatine well given the context of the story.

8. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Just a quick thought.

I just saw a commercial which made me rethink the issue a bit of who could potentially appear as a Force ghost in the ST. You guys may have seen this:

Now, I don't know about anybody else, but I think the end result is pretty convincing.

Anyway, if Audrey can be made to be running around so convincingly (and on a commercial's budget, no less!), why not Sir Alec standing/sitting rather still, paired with the voice of Ewan as the spirit of Ben Kenobi?

I know Ewan has said he's eager to reprise the role (I love that about him, and I really hope he gets his chance in a Ben Kenobi spin-off), but I wonder if he'd take a gig which just calls for v.o. work? I'm not sure. Didn't George Lucas secure the future rights to Guinness' likeness, or is that incorrect? Again, I couldn't say for sure.

I don't know, just food for thought.

markdeez33 and T-R- like this.
  9. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Lucas does have the rights to Alec's likeness

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  10. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    For future appearances such as this theoretical one, too, you mean?

Also, I was thinking that making Hepburn speak in the commercial would have been more difficult. I wonder how feasible something like this really may be?

11. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Correct, for any appearance. Lucas wanted to use his likeness for the PT but the tests didn't look good and that plan was scrapped in favor of an actor. They then cast Ewan in the role. (Pretty good choice)

Speaking might be difficult, but ILM did alter real video footage in Forest Gump and CLU spoke, no to mention all of the CGI character's like Yoda that speak. While CLU was maligned by some, it was a few years ago and Bridges does have a funny way of talking to begin with. It should be easier to have a shimmering ghost speak.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i don't think i'd want to see ghosts actually fighting but it was in the script. i do think it would be awesome to have a ghost/ghosts appear to bewilder a sith, maybe luke's. they taunt him/her and when the sith slashes at them they disappear. the sith won't understand how it's possible.

as far as using alec guiness, i don't think it's respectful. that person is deceased as has no say in what you do so you shouldn't do it. using ewan as a younger form is a much better idea. your ghost doesn't have to appear as only one incarnation. you're no longer physical so you could look like a twinkie if you wanted to.

Assembler and Mystery Roach like this.
  13. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Just another example of why Ghost Porkins should be in the movie.

Arawn_Fenn and T-R- like this.
  14. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I think Anakin could have a role - warning a grandchild for example.
    This would be a one-off, small part.

I think Obi-Wan could have role - mentoring one of the new young heroes. (That way it can be Ewan as the new young hero wouldn't have a clue what Obi-Wan looked like at any age)
    This would be a once or twice small part.

I think Yoda could have a role - teaching the Force Ghost trick to Luke actually in the Netherworld when Luke is cut down - but doesn't disappear.
    This would be a longer scene, but could be very cool indeed. something we've nevere seen and we would finally know how Anakin learned the trick.

And then Luke helping in the final battle.
    I think it'll be a battle fought on two plains of existence.

But you could replace all of the Force Ghost roles with Yoda quite easily. Or Anakin.

That's it for Force Ghosts -
    it's been established it is a rare feat.

Immortiss likes this.
  15. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Now that three Jedi have retained their identity after death, does this mean future Sith could learn that this happened? I'd assume they'd try to take advantage of it if they could.

16. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    That's a big Twinkie.

17. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Lucas has the right to Guinness' likeness with regards to work already done. Action figures, books, posters, painting, statuettes, etc. However, that doesn't mean he can throw a virtual Alec Guinness into any future movie. He would have to pay the Guinness estate some to-be-negotiated royalties. But, as shown in the Dove commercial (or in Superman Returns), the estates of dead actors and actresses are usually all-too-happy to make some free money, so I have little doubt an arrangement could be made.

Of course, having said that, I am not sure I want to see it. If they use Obi-Wan, I'd rather just see Ewan McGregor, maybe aged a little.

18. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    That's what I was wondering, specifically.

19. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    A believable Alec Obi in the ST could be a huge plus in the Star Wars tradition of tech advancments in filmmaking.

20. NoChesterHester

NoChesterHester Jedi Master star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Filoni said something to the effect on the last Rebel Force Radio that only the jedi, and a few of them, can become force ghosts. I could be wrong, but I listened to that episode last week.

Immortiss likes this.
  21. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I actually want to see all of the ones mentioned, but just briefly, and spread out through the ST.

22. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Lucas had those rights as of the making of the OT for work already done etc. Lucas bought the rights to Alec's likeness for use in future movies.

I didn'thave time to search for it, but here's 1 article.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/tech...te-Dead-Actors-Using-Computers-111400864.html

23. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Well that's a terrible article. Thanks for the share though.

24. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Who's the higher-ranked Jedi at this point, Yoda or Qui-Gon?

25. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    yoda always.

qui-gon changed their focus back to the living force and that was one of the most important things in the saga. yoda is still the oldest and wisest master and though jinn could communicate after death yoda and obi mastered becoming one with the force and coming back. yoda was also able to stay alive the longest and carry the hope for the universe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.