main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Anthology: News and Rumors (General Discussion Welcome)

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by TtheForceHurts, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    How about a spin-off of the garbage monster from ANH?

Darth_Articulate and Darkslayer like this.
  2. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Star Wars Episode 1.5: Oscar's Revenge
    [​IMG]

Cevan, Darkslayer and Force Smuggler like this.
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    "I'm a Jedi, now scram!"

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  4. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    That's what they would have said about Iron Man before 2008.

5. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Really?

Sure, Iron Man wasn't as well known as Batman or Spider-Man, but casual comic fans knew who he was. He had over forty years of comics to draw on, and had already had two carton series. He was a fully-formed character with volumes and volumes of history and personality traits, as well as a well-established supporting cast of allies and enemies. He had a strong central concept - industrialist is forced to create his greatest weapon to escape captivity - and as a character ostensibly of our time, could riff off modern day issues and themes. Oh, and he's human, with a human face and everything, allowing a charismatic actor to embody the part and really bring it to life.

That's comparable to a guy in a rubber mask with (maybe) one short story written about him? Who's deepest storyline is "happens to be having a drink in a bar when some important characters walk in", and who's pop culture significance amounts to "hey, I think this dude had an action figure"?

6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    There's really nothing special about those aliens though as opposed to Mace Windu, Count Dooku, Darth Maul, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Bit more blunt thanI was but on point lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    There could be.

9. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    Although I'm not sure how much of an interest there'd be, I'd love to see a film about Grievous starting off with him as a Kaleesh warrior, then showing how he came to be general of the CIS army. Perhaps it also could cover the Battle of Hypori and show Grievous reveal himself to the Jedi in the later part of the film.

10. TheChoosen095

TheChoosen095 Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2014
    I would like a young Obi Wan Kenobi (Before he was Qui Gon JinnĀ“s apprentice) one and one about General Griveous before he became a cyborg that would be awesome.

11. Emphram

Emphram Jedi Padawan

Jan 15, 2014
    I know this isn't going to happen, but I want a Kyle Katarn trilogy.

12. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    Anything that lets us see more OT Vader and the Emperor!

klooney likes this.
  13. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Many people that I have talked to think that Grevious is cool, so I do think a Grevious spin-off would have a strong market. I also think that seeing Grevious's backstory would improve ROTS for the movie-only crowd.

14. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    How about a spinoff about Dak and his family set in the year leading up to the Battle of Hoth? A film about patience and always fixing mechanical malfunctions before doing anything else.

Pro Scoundrel , TheBBP and purplerain like this.
  15. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    But Grievous is a bad guy. Unless it is a horror or mafia film, bad guys rarely get to be the title character.

16. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    I think films about bad guys could work, so long as they're pitted against someone worse. Think the "Darth Vader and the ..." comics, or Maul: Lockdown.

Palpatine is the only villain I see as so utterly irredeemable that he couldn't carry his own movie. Well, maybe Tarkin as well, but I doubt anyone would consider him a strong contender for his own film.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  17. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    I want the spin-offs to explore different genres. whether it be political or romantic. Otherwise, are they truly spin-offs?

18. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    Given the current public feeling towards politics and romance in Star Wars, that might not be very likely. :p

To be a little more serious, the other side of that coin is that the further you get away from the traditional Star Wars mould, the more you might as well just make an original movie. People go to see Star Wars because they want to see Star Wars (indeed, many, many words have been written on more recent Star Wars films not being Star Wars enough.)

... Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars. Sorry, just thought there might be a record for mentioning Star Wars the most times in one post.

19. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Spin-offs aren't supposed to be Star Wars. Spin-offs are supposed to be other stories set in the GFFA. If it's Star Wars, it's not a spin-off.

20. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't see why the main character can't be the worst character in the movie. Look at movies like "A Perfect Murder", "Falling Down" or "Downfall". I'd love to see a movie about Palpatine outsmarting other villains ala Gene Hackman in "Heist"

21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    To be fair, I'd say the nazi shop-owner is a much worse character than Douglas' character in Falling Down.
    I love that movie!

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  22. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    Disney didn't buy Star Wars because they really love the universe and want to explore obscure characters and planets from the EU. They bought it because they believe the name and brand recognition can be very profitable for them.

That brand recognition goes right out the window if you deliberately distance yourself from everything that's associated with the current Star Wars movies. Why spend $4bn on the rights at all? Why not just make your own sci-fi franchise from scratch?

These "spin-offs" are not like Frasier is to Cheers. They're like The Wolverine is to X-Men. Same world, same elements, some of the same characters, just removed from the main plotline of the Saga.

23. Fastback

Fastback Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 12, 2014
    Spin-offs will happen now that Disney owns StarWars. The naysayers need to forget how Lucas did things and understand that Disney is out to make money, yes they will keep the story of StarWars that Lucas created but don't think for a second that if a character like Bobba has a following that they won't do a spin off of him. I'm very glad Disney bought StarWars and now I can get my fix of all things I like of StarWars expanding from TOR,PT,OT,TCW,EU, games etc. I look foward to Rebels, Battlefront 3 possible end of year early next and most of all VII next year in Dec.

24. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    The difference is those are all movies for adults. I think Disney/Lucasfilm will be aiming at an audience either the same as the current Star Wars films (families, ie adults and children), or slightly older (teenagers upwards).

All of Marvel's films so far have been about heroes, and I see Star Wars adopting a similar tone.

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The ST will be Lucas involved but the Spin-offs? I doubt it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.