main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Anthology: News and Rumors (General Discussion Welcome)

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by TtheForceHurts, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    And none of the Marvel films about individual heroes use the "Avengers" name. Based on the Marvel model, a Boba Fett "spin-off" would simply be called "Boba Fett".
    Why spend $4bn dollars on Marvel when it doesn't include Spider-Man and X-Men?

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Captain America: The First Avenger?

Darkslayer likes this.
  3. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Because there was already a movie called, "Captain America".
    That's exactly why I suggested spin-offs for those two: so that the Saga won't have to deal with them.

4. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    I think we're speaking at cross-purposes. I wasn't talking about the actual title of the movie, more the tone, content and storytelling elements that are associated with Star Wars.

That said, my guess is that all the films will include Star Wars in the title. The Marvel films are all separate brands, and for years have had their own individual comic lines. By contrast, almost every single Star Wars product has the "Star Wars" logo on it. Think of it more like the X-Men film series in terms of branding than the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

They are included - Disney gets the profits from all Spider-Man and X-Men comics, cartoons and merchandise. I believe they also get a percentage of the profits on their movies (just not as much as Sony and Fox do.)

Also, when Disney bought Marvel, Iron Man had already been a big hit for them, and proved that there was definitely big potential in the B-list superheroes.

I don't think the situation is comparable to making a film that is part of the Star Wars universe but has no lightsabers ignited, blasters firing or starships blowing up.

Darth PJ likes this.
  5. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    There's a reason all the EU material, novels, comics, graphic novels all include Star Wars in their titles even if the material in question doesn't contain any of the main characters. It's basically saying, "Hey, if you're a fan of Star Wars, you wanna buy this!" The same basic premise will hold true for the movies.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Boba Fett doesn't have a lightsaber.
    The average person would feel ripped off if they see a "Star Wars" movie and it's about a bounty hunter. For the average person, Star Wars is a superhero movie, Luke is Batman, and Vader is The Joker. Dra---

Dra--- likes this.
  7. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Three points:

1. My use of the word "or" was exclusive rather than inclusive - I was saying more that it would be weird for a Star Wars films not have any of those things, rather than it being weird for them not to have all three. Although not having all three would be a little strange.

2. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Boba Fett will not be the only character to appear in a Boba Fett movie. Maybe one of these other characters might have a lightsaber.

3. On the other hand ...

[​IMG]

8. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Well, those characters were certainly included in the purchase of Marvel, they just have to honor prior commitments whereby the movie rights to those characters belong to other studios.

Amusingly enough, Disney also has to honor deals with Universal Studios whereby Universal has exclusive rights to Marvel characters with regards to amusement park rides in the Orlando area. That's why if you go to Disney World, you see hardly a mention of any Marvel characters and Universal Orlando holds those rights in perpetuity.

NOTE: I do not believe Universal holds those exclusive rights all across the country, I am only familiar with the situation in central Florida.

9. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    The "Star Wars" brand often proved to be a bad thing for the EU. It resulted in things such as every single Cantina alien being involved in the Galactic Civil War.

Also, Disney is "following the Marvel model", not "following the X-Men model".

Beezer likes this.
  10. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    And every single alien in Jabba's Palace was there because they were secretly plotting to assassinate him. :D

11. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Why do you think Tatooine keeps showing up? Because it's what people expect to see in "Star Wars" movies.

12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Well, it's Darth Vader. If they make an exception for a bad guy movie, it's him. Regarding comics I would say that the target audience is much, much smaller than for a movie. So while a Maul comic may be a success, it is more doubtful it would be as a movie.

Not impossible, by any means. Just a bit difficult, maybe.

13. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I think a spin-off film would be the perfect venue for Elvis to make a comeback as a Dark Lord of the Sith

[​IMG]

Gallandro and Krueger like this.
  14. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Well, if that's the case why would they make a movie about a bad guy fighting worse guys? I don't see how the main character being the worst has anything to do with it.

15. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Is anybody else afraid of ST-era politics forever remaining a mystery? If the saga thinks it's boring and he spin-offs won't take risks, where will we get political information on the ST-era GFFA?

Mystery Roach likes this.
  16. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Printed chronicles?

17. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Mace Windu's quest to lay his vengeance upon the galaxy and let it know that his name is the lord.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    We'll finally learn of Mace's home planet, What.

19. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    What ain't no planet I ever heard of! They speak Basic on What?

Darkslayer, Ryus, fishtailsam and 6 others like this.
  20. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    WHAT!?

Mystery Roach likes this.
  21. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Basic, *********! Do you speak it?

Ryus, fishtailsam, Iron_lord and 2 others like this.
  22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  23. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    At this point in time, the only one that makes any sense to me would either be an Obi-Wan ( The Last Jedi) , Mara Jade (The Emperor's Hand) or a Boba Fett / Cad Bane/ Aura Sing ,(Bounty Hunters) Movie. Only because the actors which played them in the prequels are still available to play their specific parts. I guess you can find a younger looking Sidious for a Plagues/ Sidious film ( The Rule od Two). Unless you go all CGI and then you can basically do a Yoda movie or something similar.

o_O

24. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Dialogue like that would have made me like his character better. :)

Ryus, Lurknomore and Iron_lord like this.
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Obi-Wan: You ever given a Twileck a foot massage?
    Mace: **** you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.