main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How powerful in the Force should Luke be in the ST?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Nerdling, Mar 30, 2014.

?

How powerful in the Force should Luke be in the ST?

Poll closed Mar 30, 2016.
  1. Slightly more powerful than he was in ROTJ and slightly wiser about the ways of the Force

2.3%
  2. Slightly more powerful than he was in ROTJ and slightly wiser and with more/new Force abilities

6.2%
  3. Slightly more powerful than he was in ROTJ and just as wise as Yoda

3.1%
  4. Just below the most powerful in combat (equal to Mace maybe) and just below the top in wisdom

7.7%
  5. Just below the most powerful in combat but just as wise as they are or with more/new Force abilities

6.2%
  6. As powerful in combat as Yoda or Palpatine but not as wise as they are about the ways of the Force

10.8%
  7. As powerful in combat as Yoda and Palpatine and also as wise as they are about the ways of the Force

10.8%
  8. More powerful than Yoda or Palpatine in combat and wiser and/or with more Force abilities

9.2%
  9. As powerful as the Chosen One if Anakin had reached his full potential

26.9%
  10. More powerful than the Chosen One at his full potential or any Jedi/Sith ever

16.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I think the poll question says it all!

Please feel free to explain your vision of how Luke's powers should be depicted in the Sequel Trilogy in the comments below, especially if your answer doesn't match with any of the above choices.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Excellent question. To me, he should be very much on par with any Master on the Jedi Council we know from the prequels, save Yoda. So give him Mace Windu or Qui-Gon type of ability.

3. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    You've possibly gone with too many options there. About 4 options would've provided clearer results, IMO.

4. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013

Have you ever seen my posts? They are always way too long because I try to consider every single (in other words, way too many) option, angle, detail, and POV!:p

Darth_Downunder likes this.
  5. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
    Just because it's Luke, doesn't mean he should be the strongest jedi to ever live. I thinking making him Jedi Council worthy is enough. Somwhere around Qui-Gon's level but slightly weaker than Mace, Obi-Wan,and Yoda. I honestly can't believe some people actually voted for "Make him more powerful than the chosen one" and "Make him wiser and more powerful than Yoda and Palpatine."

6. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I went with the Chosen One's full potential because that makes the most sense to me, however I doubt we would see an appreciable difference between him and, say, Yoda as far as what's shown onscreen.

7. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013
    To each his own, but I agree with your basic sentiment. If Luke is that incredibly powerful and wise, then how would anything he faces be a challenge? I'm not sure it would work well dramatically. Heroes need obstacles to overcome, and when you're that powerful and wise, not much is a problem. That's one of the problems they always have when they try to make Superman movies. Superman is so incorruptible and so over-powered that you have to have outer space beings or other Kryptonians as foes because nothing in our regular universe is a match for him (well, except for green rocks:p ).

Red_Leader_313 likes this.
  8. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014
    I don't think he should be as wise as Yoda (because he's not 900) but I think he should be as strong as Yoda at this point.

9. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Being the son of the Chosen One, Luke should have the full potential of the Chosen One, even if he hasn't reached it yet.

10. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    Stronger/wiser than everyone except Yoda (who's probably continued training/advising Luke in the 30 years since ROTJ), if this is the guy who's rebuilding the Jedi Order.

Dra--- likes this.
  11. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Really? I don't think that's how genetics work. He's also equally the son of the Annoying One.

12. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    It is how midichlorian genetics work.

13. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Really, do we know that for a fact? So when a Force user breeds with a non Force user the offspring have the same Force potential? What about the generation after that, & after that? Would Anakin's great great great grandchild have just as much Force potential as him, even if 1 parent of each generation is a non Force user like Padme? Seems unlikely.

Bob Octa, Darth_Pevra and Lurknomore like this.
  14. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
  15. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    As powerful as the Chosen One if Anakin had reached his full potential.
    But let me clarify this.
    I guess that the ST will represent first major challenge for Luke and his new Jedi Order since it's foundation. At Ep 7 Luke could (or should) be more powerful in the Force than he was in ROTJ, he could even be better at his combat skills, but he could be lacking experience in dealing with serious threats or enemies. So in the first movie, if we get to see him in a lightsaber fight, he could lose, but as the trilogy progresses and he gains more experience, so should his power grow (and reputation among the non-Jedi, the Republic, for example). There's place for Luke to grow until Ep 9 where he could be as powerful as Anakin would have been.

16. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Nice idea, will be interesting to see the results... but why does the poll close March 30th, 2016 after VII gets released? :confused:

purplerain likes this.
  17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I went with as powerful as the Chosen One could have been. I think Luke should be the Yoda of this trilogy. The most powerful and wise Jedi of his era. In fact, I think he could be even more wise than Yoda since I think he would have taken the best aspects of the Old Order and combined them with his own philosophies that helped him defeat the Emperor and redeem his father.

18. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    So that Star Wars fans can do what we do best: disagree. :p

19. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Yeah, I agree with this. Nice idea for a poll, but the options are drawing very fine distinctions that will be highly debatable anyway when the film is released.

Broadly speaking, Luke should be able to throw down with anyone. That doesn't mean he necessarily has to show it. The Yoda of ROTJ hurls Palpatine around the Senate like it was nothing. On a fairly arbitrary scale of "power" he appears to be more powerful than the Yoda of TESB, who seems to be exerting himself just to get the X-Wing out of the swamp. And when it comes to wisdom, the Yoda of ROTJ is rarely wrongfooted, takes action decisively and swiftly, and came very close to thwarting the Sith conspiracy almost as soon as it had begun. The Yoda of TESB counsels Luke not to save his friends, outright lies to him, and spends much of the time acting insane.

And yet I find TESB Yoda to be more impressive and convincing as a mentor and Jedi Master. Luke should follow in that mold.

20. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    No "I don't care" option? Where do I vote "not pathetically weak but not overpowered either"? That's what I really want to vote.

Wiser than Yoda? Isn't he already?

This poll is confusing. I have no idea what to vote.

Why are Yoda and Palpatine the most powerful? I don't think Yoda is and I don't think ROTJ Palpatine is either.

Dra--- likes this.
  21. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I don't think it's a question of his being more powerful, but I do think he'll be more in tune with the Force and far more capable then we saw in ROTJ but not necessarily on the same level as Yoda. As for wisdom, I see him being as wise as Yoda is relative to his age. That is, considerably wises then the average 50-60 year old human.

Andy Wylde and Jobertus like this.
  22. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I'd argue Anakin never really reached his full potential. As such, I'd like to see Luke truly surpass his father as well as the Jedi Masters of old.

Frankly, Luke surpassed Yoda and Ben when he saw the good in Vader that neither of them could see.

23. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    As George Lucas has previously stated, Luke has as much force potential as Anakin. I believe Luke should be every bit as powerful as Anakin was supposed to be, or could have been (which is more powerful than Yoda or Darth Sidious), but with far more experience and wisdom than Anakin was able to accrue as a Jedi. Which doesn't mean he goes around showing everybody how bad*** he really is, but that he would be the Jedi most feared by the dark siders of his time. Is he every bit as wise as Yoda or Sidious, perhaps not, but he should be on the level of Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Mace Windu, and other members of the Jedi Council which we saw in the PT. Unless there are other Jedi survivors from the Old Order, Luke will be the most experienced and wisest of the New Jedi Order. IMM he has received council from Yoda, Obi-Wan, or even Anakin at various points throughout the decades between Episodes VI and VII, and thus has been able to glean valuable insight which may have helped to accelerate his building of wisdom.

24. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Luke is the full expression of the chosen one, thus making him greater than any force user ever. the end. however i doubt they will get this tight in the new movies

25. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I can buy that Luke would be as powerful as a Mace Windu, but for all of the talk about how training has to start from a really young age, I'd have a hard time with Luke being the most powerful ever given a) how late he started; b) how he really sort of struggled with his training and post-ROTJ there would be no one left to continue to teach him.

The Revanchist likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.