main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FanFic Ask Me Anything ~*~ Version 3.0 Daily Questions (See list on pg 164 or 1)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I always loved history class, at all levels, and I was damn good at it. English was so-so to meh and sometimes downright unpleasant (in 10th grade I flat refused to do the assigned essay about the Thorton Wilder play Our Town because I absolutely loathed its crushing pessimism), but by my senior year in high school my love for writing had (finally) asserted itself.

As for my least favorite...maths. Definitely maths.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    What do you do for work?

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Besides the obvious (food, water, shelter, etc.) what's the one thing you couldn't live without?

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Your PC - Windows, Mac, or self-built? :cool:

5. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Most of the jobs that I have had were in the retail field, customer service positions of varying type but mostly cashier; it's a decent job if you manage to sign on with the right kind of workplace with co-workers and management that support you and don't treat you like an expendable piece of mutton etc. etc.. But even then, the customers themselves can make it all worthwhile, and almost all of the regulars that came through my line specifically did so because I was there (this was when I worked a grocery store). Ever since I managed to (FINALLY!) get disability in '07, though, my work hours when I did have a job were necessarily limited, though I could never have worked full-time to begin with, hence the quest for SSDI.

My most recent work experiences has been as an employee of a small, family-owned business that operated a franchise 7-Eleven and, since June of last year, a party supply store (I was one of those asked to start working at the new store once it opened). Well, they released control of the 7-Eleven back to Corporate last September, and since working there had been kicking my rear for a solid year, I decided to bow out gracefully and work solely at the party supply store, called Party On! Supplies. The downside to this is that, being a new store, the business hasn't yet picked up and there hasn't been enough available hours to offer me for a while. Considering what working at 7-Eleven threatened to do to me (nobody's fault, really), I consider that a well-earned vacation.

Most folks wouldn't last three months at one of those kinds of stores—and that's not idle speculation. I lasted a year, and left in good standing with a re-hire recommendation, and thus consider myself both fortunate this as proof of my tenacity and dedication. Make of that what you will. :)

Internet.

Self-built Windows PC intended for use as a heavy gaming machine. Personally, I don't get what all the fuss is about when people claim they can't build their own. If you can assemble Ikea furniture without it wobbling about, then you can assemble a computer. Assuming you have compatible parts, and that does take a bit of careful research if you're new it at it, but all it takes is Google and a bit of determination.

I'm actually thinking of building another one later this year, once all the new generation of hardware starts coming out.

6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    What is something you want, and could afford, but never bothered to buy?

7. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Now that is an interesting question, and not an easy one (particularly since I've never been what you could call flush with cash). I could probably have saved up enough to afford the minifigure-scale LEGO Millennium Falcon, a five thousand piece set for about $500 American, and though I'd love to have it...eh. Not really my cup of tea since I'm now more of a model person.

8. Sokolniki

Sokolniki Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 7, 2014
    How do you feel about your chances in this week's "Edited" contest?

9. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I don't feel anything about them. Nothing has been finalized, nothing is known; to enter into a contest with a certain feeling about how it's going to go is unproductive and, in my experience, can cloud one's judgement and, therefore, one's chances. On the other hand, I am determined to put forth my best effort, which is all one can really do.

10. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    What was the most interesting video game that you've played?

11. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Favorite band?

12. Sokolniki

Jan 7, 2014
    Do you listen to anything from overclocked remix?

If so, got any favorites?

13. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    To me the most interesting single game I've played has got to be Dragon Age: Origins. For one thing, it's incredibly long; an average play-through is going to be about seventy-five to eighty hours long, particularly if you do all the side-quests and take time to know your party. The lore is deep enough to satisfy any fan of fantasy stories, so much so that it got me, a person who up to then just didn't do the whole "standard fantasy setting" thing at all, and got me to really like the characters and community for what they were. Sure a lot of elements are quite derivative, but a lot of it also reflects the human condition in the real world, combining everything into a believable world that just about anyone can relate to on some level. The gameplay is well-rounded, with tactics and strategy well-applied for the most part, and character customization for yourself and most of your party is easy to learn but tough to master.

Even more important, it doesn't have a moral choice system. Instead, each party member has a point-based affection score, that covers the spectrum from deepest loathing (and possible betrayal) to quite friendly (including love, if you're on a romance track), and is reflective of their personality (for example, if you do something dishonorable while Alastair is in your party, you will lose affection points, while if you go out of your way to be helpful, you'll gain affection with Leliana). Though it is perhaps the last epic RPG to have a silent protagonist (using a KotOR-esque "choose your own response" system), the graphics are well-executed, the world is craftily built, the voice actors and actresses put in stellar performances, and the story is quite compelling indeed.

Perhaps my only criticisms are, as mentioned earlier, lack of a voice for the protagonist, however you can select a set of "battle cries" for your character, as well as some issues with AI and party placement when a battle starts. There's at least one instance where, just before initiating a conversation that always prompts battle, you can place your party accordingly (ranged to the flanks, melee and tank at the center) but then the cutscene takes your careful arrangement and tosses it out the airlock, placing you and your party in the middle of a big brawl.

I am, and shall always be, a Floydian in my heart.

I'm not even sure what that is, to be honest. Though I would certainly welcome some enlightenment in that regard.

14. Sokolniki

Jan 7, 2014
    The short story... A website full of video game music remixers.

The long story... A website full of darn good video game music remixers that spans games from the popular to the obscure, the classical to the modern... And the genres in which they remix is as varied as the games they remix.

I could go on and on, but I fear This post could be considered blatant advertisement as it is. >.>

15. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I'll have to give them a loook, Sokolniki. Now you mention it, I think I may have heard of them before. IIRC TotalBiscuit plugs them in his Content Patch videos and I rather like him and his style.

Now then, bring on the questions!

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    How do you find developing an OC for a fic versus an RPG, as to versatility and/or difficulty?

17. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    If you could witness any event - past/future/present - what would it be? [face_thinking]

18. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Assuming you're talking about a pen/paper or forum-based RPG versus a computer/console RPG? Let's go with that, as the video games I play tend to be pretty limiting by their very nature (starting origins, morality paths, etc). Well, to me the key difference between making a character for a story and a character for a role-playing game is the difference between telling a story on your own and having what some folks call a "writing jam" where you and a group of friends pit their characters in situations together either adversarial or cooperatively (or both!). The first one can be a bit more difficult than the latter, as you have to be able to create the character and keep him/her consistent throughout your tale. The second one is a little different, as you make the backstory and then pretty much just react to what's going on (or take the initiative if that is your wont). I find developing original characters to be more satisfying than ones for RPGs, however, which is why I'm more of a writer and haven't role-played in ten years.

If you'd like to know more about my process for creating OCs, please feel free to ask.

Well gosh, with those three options, the choice is simple! I want to see humans break the speed of light. :cool:

19. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Now that is a great answer. =D=

Alrighty, for my next question: When you have thirty minutes of free time, what is your favourite way of spending it? :)

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Are you and the rest of your family (parents, any siblings, etc.) living in the same state? If not, are you able to visit often? :)

21. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Some posts ago you mentioned having gone to a camp for the visually impaired, so I'm guessing you were or are in that category? (And of course I completely understand if you're not comfortable sharing all the details.)

22. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Only thirty minutes, huh?

Most of my indulgences (read: vices) take a bit longer than that to satisfy me, so my answer would have to be: eat some junk food and daydream.

My immediate family are all in the same state (Michigan) and, with the exception of my older sister (who is, incidentally, my only full-blooded sibling), they're close by enough that I get to see them fairly often and could even visit them by bike.

Yes, I'm visually-impaired. When I was born the doctors apparently thought I'd go blind by age 2, but as I grew up my vision actually improved noticeably. Not to the point of normal or even of being able to drive with corrective lenses, unfortunately, but at least it didn't get worse. :)

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Cool Goodwood - do you use large print or screen-reading software? :D

24. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I'm not that bad off...just slightly bigger font for Windows on a 39" 1080p HDTV and I'm golden. Other than that, I do wear glasses.

jcgoble3 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  25. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Which of your fan fiction pieces here on JCF would you like me to read and comment on first? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.