main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Teachers too? I'd hate to fail a test or not show up for classes.

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  4. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Anne Kelly's lawyer responds

"If Ms. Kelly were provided with the appropriate procedural safeguards," he went on, she would be "fully cooperative" with the probe.

Translated: Give me immunity and I hand you Chrstie's lies.

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
  6. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Bush was only president twice because Kerry was a stuttering Stanley.

8. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

it can absolutely be addressed/combatted by the opposition. it just cant be eliminated as a concept (the manipulation of language) because language is too volatile

9. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I think a Clinton-Bush General Election campaign would be pretty depressing. Not because I have much of a problem with either of them personally, but because it would be a sad statement on the state of the ideal of meritocracy.

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    So, the Obamacare website crashed again because of the influx of traffic. I think they said they wanted 6 or 7 million but they got 9.5 million.

11. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    or something

VadersLaMent likes this.
  12. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008

To be fair (full on ACA supporter here, btw), the 9.5 million figure is an estimate that includes those enrolled under Medicaid expansion. Their 6-7 million target was just on the exchanges, not including Medicaid. But it looks like they'll hit that target, too.

All of the media uproar around the site being down this morning baffles me. History will not remember that a website was down for three hours longer than scheduled early in the morning on the last day of signups.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Nah, history will remember a corporate handout that, while giving more people access to insurance (they usually have to pay for out of pocket), does almost nothing to address the skyrocketing costs of healthcare and gives plenty of loopholes for employers and insurance companies and whole state governments to work with. Or that's what I will remember, at least.

And the next person who spouts some bull**** about this being a "stepping stone" to single-payer or something is going to get the garrote.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    FOX and the Republicans are all about the strategy of denying the numbers right now. "I'm not saying they're cooking the books, but you know... cooking the books" and all that.

But where was this capacity for skepticism when we needed it?

Alleged weapons of mass destruction in Iraq? "Sure, why not?"

Magical Jewish zombie who saves everyone's souls? "I believe it!"

People signing up for health care? "**** YOU, THAT DID NOT REALLY HAPPEN."

Valairy Scot likes this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I think Jeb is leagues better than his brother and would probably make a decent president, but it's the highest delusion to imagine he's electable with his name. I mean, even if Dubya didn't make the Bush family politically anathematic, the dynastic implications of another Bush as president would already give him a huge disadvantage.

And I'm saying this as a big fan of G.H.W. Bush.

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Jeb Bush:

Views gays and femisnism as..."Victim movements"

He liked the bank bailout, but not the auto company bailout even though the auto bailout was a loan and the bank bailout was not.

MORE TAX CUTS FOR THE RICH. Seems to love the term "Job creators".

He's a global warming "skeptic".

I do not recall the actual quote but I seem to recall he called government a "dinosaur".

Obamacare, the usual right wing BS.

Usual right wing crap on Benghazi.

Did he have a faith based advisory panel?

He's just another right wing piece of crap.

17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think you ought to recheck that first number. Medicaid enrollment outpaced the exchange sign-ups, and the exchange sign-ups hit their goal, as you noted. Most of the estimates for Medicaid expansion that I have seen range between eight and 9 million which may have confused VLM and be the number he is attempting to report.

18. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008

Yep, should have been clearer, the 9.5 million is solely previously-uninsured. Even better news.

19. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    this is kind of what i was getting at. i interpreted his "addressed" as "fix for all time", because he strikes me as a guy looking for that sort of thing.

how about "a bureaucratic mess laid on top of a bureaucratic mess"? do i get a carrote?

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Actually the bank bailout was a loan too, and I think they've paid it all back, plus interest.

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    That is the first I have ever heard that though I admit it may have flown under my radar.

22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Incumbent DC Mayor Gray got beaten in his own primary last night. Even though he's plagued by corruption allegations, very rare sight to see.

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Paul Ryan's at it again.

Did somebody even tell him what the definition of insanity is? Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results and all that jazz?

24. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    He's about to become the most powerful Rep in the House once Camp hands over Ways and Means. I disagree with him on a lot, but he's not anywhere near the worst members of the party.

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    No he's pretty bad. Probably because he's a rich piece of **** and not afraid to rub it in people's faces whenever he can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.