main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Awesomos Cosmos reboot thread. aka the Cosmos reboot (Possible Worlds)

Discussion in 'Community' started by beezel26, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Edit: Double post.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Having watched the latest episode yesterday I can happily report that I never knew Newton and Halley ever knew each other. I have always heard a lot about both but I never in all my decades of living heard that they met and had a relationship of any sort. [face_dunno] Nice to know. And damn, Halley was a genius.

Creationists have trouble with comets

Awwwwwww

Chancellor_Ewok likes this.
  3. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Just think these poor people have 10 more weeks of this.

Can't wait till they attempt to have the creationist version of Cosmos on TV. You know it's going to happen.

4. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    They'll call it Godmos.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I feel like I need to watch Sunday's episode again just to make sure I got everything. I didn't know Newton and Halley knew each other either.

Apparently people went pretty well ballistic in 1910 when the comet appeared? I don't remember it being a big deal in 1986 but I may have been too busy being a teenager to notice.

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    It was way less spectacular in 1986 than 1910.

7. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Oh, Lord........

:oops:

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Some language

You're welcome. :p

I'm surprised it took this long for somebody to post these.
    [face_shame_on_you]

VadersLaMent and timmoishere like this.
  9. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I was browsing the comments section there, and one in particular really stood out for me:

=D=

Chancellor_Ewok and VadersLaMent like this.
  10. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Ok, even if you are a creationist the 0ort cloud makes sense. The comets have started on their journeys a little earlier. Remember no one knows when the Halley's Comet started its rotation. And the idea of having a belt and cloud where they come from makes sense using math. You can project where the path of the comet will be going and therefore surmise that since a lot more comets come at us there must be something there that pushes them towards us. The cloud is huge. So huge that a telescope won't see it. But we don't see everyday objects in space in orbit though. In theory the tracking of the near earth objects in space could be what is happening in the Ort cloud. All that space debris that gets sent back to earth does so cause it burns up or because it hits another object causing its path to decay and leading to its return. It is a man made ort cloud.

11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I have seen this being explained to creationist live. The one that sticks out was on Real Time with Bill Maher. The creationist simply replied, "You're just talking about mutation there." he is an elected politician.

12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    One thing I noticed that i forgot to post earlier. The start of the show has a child being removed as tyson makes comments about relizing the actual universe around us. The symbol here is one of a child coming out of the cradle to knowledge fo the world. It also looked to me like a blatant symbol of Moses set afloat in a basket as a symbol of religion while he is plucked out by a scientist and shown the reality.

13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Wut? No one watched last night? Well I did not either but I have dvr and shalt see it tomorrow afternoon as I have more time.

14. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I watched it.

It was okay.

15. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Yeah, it was good up until he was teleporting into different universes. It looked pretty, but still.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The thing I liked about that part was the idea of universes inside of black holes- I'd not heard of that speculation before.

It also seems to be the show's structure: tell the info story, then cap it off with a more fantastical spectacle sequence at the end.

I thought the story was well done this episode- I also never knew the connection between astronomy and the origins of photography.

I'm also calling telescopes time machines from now on ;).

17. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Really that was so stupid. I mean what high ground do we have over young earth creationists when we start pulling out other universe nonsense?

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    They need to give us the specifications of the Ship of the Imagination. It's unaffected by the Big Bang but going past the event horizon of a black hole turns it into a Wonkaesque acid trip?!

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They did preface it clearly as speculation and a What If?- and they're likely to touch on multiverse theories at some point so they're probably just seeding that notion here.

20. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Last night was worth watching because Tyson flat-out said that the young earth crowd is full of **** and went on to point out how small the universe would actually be if they were correct.

22. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah. He basically said that if Creationism was correct, than we should only be able to see MAYBE 10,000 lightyears at most in any give direction, which is only a tiny fraction of our home galaxy, and we can actually see almost all the way to edge of the known universe.

23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Simple:

God did it this way to test us. But we cannot know the mind of God so our science about time and distance are wrong.

So there.

24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I hate to even link to this idiocy but if you want an creationist answer that is not really and answer but worse than Star Trek technobabble Here is it

"What Tyson, of course, does not address in the program is that young earth creation scientists do offer biblically consistent models to explain how we see faraway objects in space without attempting to tamper with the laws of physics. One such model is the anisotropic synchrony convention which is based on the fact—as Einstein recognized—that it is impossible to objectively measure the one-way speed of light. We instead must measure the round-trip speed of light and simply agree that the one-way speed must be half of the total. Read more about how this explanation would answer the question of how light from distant stars could reach earth within the time allowed in biblical history"

[​IMG]

25. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Even God is facepalming right now. :p

[​IMG]

VadersLaMent likes this.