main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The "What-If?" Depository - ALL conceptual/hypothetical conversation goes here

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SithStarSlayer, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Wow. I have never once thought of that. Brilliant.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Which would result in a dead Obi-wan. He was good, but he was never in Palpatine's league. He tells Obi-wan this. Three Jedi Masters fell to Palpatine and they were the best the Order had to offer. Divide and conquer was the only sound solution.

3. Palpatine's P.A.

Palpatine's P.A. Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2014
    Anakin, dead, and fairly quickly. OR, could Yoda have talked him round? I think Anakin hated Obi Wan more than Yoda, based on years of "holding him back" and the fact that Anakin thought Obi was stealing Padme from him. But aftr the whole massacre thing, I think Yoda would have just wanted him dead.

As for Obi Wan v Palps, according to the story canon, Palpatine would have wiped the floor with him, but as someone mentioned, the film really didn't do justice to how powerful he is meant to be. I thin kthey should have ditched the lightsaber altogether for Sidious and just have him using the force to kill the 4 Jedi in his office. Or at least made him faster, the "shadow" that was described in the novel version would have been a better way to justify how quickly they all died. Maybe they should have gone CGI with this scene.

4. The_Riddler

The_Riddler Jedi Master star 3

Aug 6, 2013
    Which would result in a dead Obi-wan. He was good, but he was never in Palpatine's league. He tells Obi-wan this. Three Jedi Masters fell to Palpatine and they were the best the Order had to offer. Divide and conquer was the only sound solution.
    ------------

first of all you're assuming things. Combat in any capacity isn't an exact science, if it was combat sports would be dead.

Just because Kit Fisto, coca Kola and saesse Tiin were stupid to be caught of guard by Palps doesn't mean Obi-Wan would be,

besides he had experience fighting Sith and had Yoda with him, and as evidenced Yoda was able to hold his own against Sidious, having two people with you is more of an advantage in almost any situation, this is simple science and logic.

5. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I don't know if I agree with the consensus that Yoda would have defeated Anakin a lot easily than Palpatine would have defeated Obi-Wan. I realize that it's now popular to dismiss Anakin as some hot-headed, yet overrated psychopath (God help us from the "in things"). But considering Anakin's lack of emotions regarding Yoda, I don't know who would have won that fight.

As for Obi-Wan and Palpatine . . . I don't know. Personally, I don't think Obi-Wan would have stood a chance, despite his "experience fighting a Sith". He was barely able to defeat a very emotional Anakin. But . . . you never know.

6. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008
    Perhaps Bail had been around Threepio long enough to realize that that latter would be unable to keep its mouth shut about the twins.

7. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    It seemed like R2's wit and knowledge could have been used as an asset, whereas 3PO's memory (and talkative nature) was more of a liability.

rdhight likes this.
  8. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I would just think that with some type of coordinates and sense of direction, there could be some sort of North, South, East and West.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That's how The Essential Atlas handled it:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic_coordinate

Darth Dominikkus likes this.
  10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yoda wouldn't have wasted time talking to him. It would have been on like Donkey Kong the minute Yoda saw him choking Padme. And he wouldn't hold back, he would have killed him the first chance he got.

Actually, this isn't an assumption.

"You have to be either Mace or Yoda to compete with the Emperor," Lucas says. "If Anakin hadn't got all beat up, he could've beat the Emperor."

--George Lucas, The Making Of Revenge Of The Sith; page 204

This has been true since 1981, when Lucas told Kasdan that only Yoda could hold his own against Palpatine, but he couldn't beat him. The only change was the inclusion of Mace and that was partially because of Sam Jackson.

As to simple logic with multiple numbers, you're missing the point. The Jedi Posse weren't caught unaware, he was just faster and stronger than they were. It's like that scene in "The Princess Bride". Four soldiers attack Inigo and he takes them out without breaking a sweat. He was so good that only two people were his equal, which was Westley and Count Ruggen. Same here.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

Anakin's emotions regarding Obi-Wan led to his defeat. The problem is that I don't think he would have been that emotional, while confronting Yoda. Look at what happened between him, Mace and Yoda. Despite Anakin's recent confrontation with Mace and the other Jedi Masters during a Jedi Council meeting, he wasn't driven by any emotion toward the Jedi Master to prevent Palpatine's death. He was driven toward a desire to save Padme by any cost. I don't think he would have been that emotional against Yoda. Obi-Wan, with whom he was closer, was another matter. Which is probably why his emotions got the best of him during his duel with his former master.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It is. That's why it was better for Obi-wan to face him...up to that point. He knew Anakin's skills, his mind, his weaknesses. If it had been Yoda, the results would be similar, but more dire since Yoda wouldn't have hesitated. He wouldn't have gone for the wound, he would have gone for the kill.

13. PodracingSkywalker

PodracingSkywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2014
    I think that not only would Obi-Wan have bitten the big one about 45 seconds into the fight (and Anakin too, for that matter), it would have lost a ton of emotion and gravitas the final confrontation (well, next to final) between master and apprentice had. Also, we wouldn't have gotten the heartbreaking speech Ewan / Obi-Wan gave to Anakin about being the chosen one.

14. TheSeniorJediMaster

TheSeniorJediMaster Jedi Youngling

Apr 3, 2014
    I think that if Anakin and Yoda fought Yoda would easily destroy Anakin, hands down! Yoda is too powerful with the force and Anakin gets a bulk of his power when he is angry and from all his hatred and he would not have gotten the same hatred as when Dooku almost killed Obi-Wan, by force choke, or when his "Brother" Obi-Wan confronted him and made it seem like Padme brought him there to kill him.

Now, with Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan was not that much worse a Jedi fighter than Mace Windu was, so it would be really close, since in real life if Mace Windu fought Palpatine, he would have killed him but for the movie that had already planned out that Anakin was going to turn evil and that is how they were going to do it. Obi-Wan might have had a chance, because he would be a little mad that the Chancellor turned his "Brother" to the dark side, but Obi-Wan would probably lose, but he might have had a chance to escape, because Obi-Wan is really smart and would probably figure out a way to escape, like he figured out a way for luke to escape in episode 4

15. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    As long as both warriors are skilled, as would be the case with Yoda and Obi-Wan, there's no reason to think that 2-on-1 isn't more advantageous in combat than 1-on-1. Yes, Sidious took out a few Jedi rather quickly in his office, which I think is one of the most poorly written/filmed scenes in the saga. Three Jedi have their sabers ignited and none can even come close to blocking a single stroke in the time it takes Sidious to jump across the room and draw his saber back and thrust in what was a very slow move? Ridiculous. I think I could have at least gotten my saber out in front of me and these guys just stood there like statues.

I think Lucas really stretched it with that scene.

16. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    I have to agree there Rachel - the whole scene when Sidious takes down 3 Jedi Masters in less than 10 seconds really infuriates me.

3 excellent characters with a good fan base are just extinguished as disposable toy adverts in the blink of an eye. Yes, I know not all Jedi can be given loads of screen time, but they came off as very inept and slow with Sidious taking his time to slay them; very slow saber movements and obvious angles of attack and they just messed up.

If that's the way Sidious was to fight with Obi-Wan, I feel he would have been able to take Sidious down with his form of combat compared to the relaxed/defensive style of Mace Windu. And of course Obi-Wan has youth and agility on his side. Sidious really didn't show much power as a Sith Lord in his duels except Sith Lightning, and Obi-Wan managed to deflect that in 'AOTC' against Dooku.

Yoda vs Anakin - well, to be honest I think Anakin would still come out on top. Yoda just bounces around too much for me to take him seriously! He lost to Sidious which shouldn't have happened, so if Sidious and Dooku both can get the upper hand on Yoda, I think Anakin could if he channelled all his Dark Side energy and power to the fight.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Palpatine's seems stronger, if his using it to blast Yoda's saber away is any indication.

18. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    True - but I reckon in such close quarters as Sidious and Yoda were, given his size, it would have blasted him away no problem. If Obi-Wan was taking Sidious on, he wouldn't be as close to Sidious as Yoda was....well I wouldn't like to think so anyway!

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Size matters not with one so strong as Palpatine. That's why there's a Chosen One and not your average joe Jedi.

20. MiWa

MiWa Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2014
    Sorry if someone has already asked this, but how did Obi-Wan fake his departure from Utapau? I really can't figure it out :confused:

21. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The ship he took belonged to Grievous, so I guess it possessed all the necessary codes to leave Utapau unharmed.

22. MiWa

MiWa Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2014
    No, I mean when he landed there and had a chat with that "one guy" and then he just got into his own ship and just flew away, but in the next scene he was watching it flying away?

23. Barkey Foreman

Barkey Foreman Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2014
    Are the Sith extinct? Not counting major villains like Sidious, Grievious, Maul.

Windu and Yoda were incredibly shocked when Que-Gon described the witness account of Darth Maul, stating that not a single Sith has been encountered for decades (or centuries, don't recall the exat statement), and they were in such full alert a kin to the 9/11 terrorist attacks that caused the military to be on full alerts and even after Maul was killed, it seemed like catching his master was the prime long term priority of the Jedi order.

In fact its implied the primary reason why defeating Grivous in Episode III was so essential was because he seemed like the last Sith lord in existence until Palpatine reveals he is the mastermind.

Other than that the fact the eyewitness of one Sith lord being such a big deal indeed implies the Sith were about as extinct as the Jedi were in the OT by the time the PT takes place.

24. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    The rule of two holds significance here. I don't know EU, but the Sith only worked in pairs for a while leading up to TPM, if more than two existed then several would ultimately team up and the Sith would turn on each other. In the period leading up to TPM the Sith weren't technically extinct if I understand, just one apprentice and one Master training and biding their time over a long period.

The Jedi didn't think Grievous was a Sith. His death was just a means to ending the war, a fact encouraged by Palpatine as a diversionary tactic to take the attention off himself.

The Sith being almost extinct is indeed a parallel to the Jedi in the OT. Anakin brings about the near extinction of the Jedi in the PT then the Sith at the end of the OT.

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    He got back out.