main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How powerful in the Force should Luke be in the ST?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Nerdling, Mar 30, 2014.

?

How powerful in the Force should Luke be in the ST?

Poll closed Mar 30, 2016.
  1. Slightly more powerful than he was in ROTJ and slightly wiser about the ways of the Force

2.3%
  2. Slightly more powerful than he was in ROTJ and slightly wiser and with more/new Force abilities

6.2%
  3. Slightly more powerful than he was in ROTJ and just as wise as Yoda

3.1%
  4. Just below the most powerful in combat (equal to Mace maybe) and just below the top in wisdom

7.7%
  5. Just below the most powerful in combat but just as wise as they are or with more/new Force abilities

6.2%
  6. As powerful in combat as Yoda or Palpatine but not as wise as they are about the ways of the Force

10.8%
  7. As powerful in combat as Yoda and Palpatine and also as wise as they are about the ways of the Force

10.8%
  8. More powerful than Yoda or Palpatine in combat and wiser and/or with more Force abilities

9.2%
  9. As powerful as the Chosen One if Anakin had reached his full potential

26.9%
  10. More powerful than the Chosen One at his full potential or any Jedi/Sith ever

16.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Definitely! Vader. Palpatine. Yoda. Obi-wan. They all wanted Luke on their side.

Obi-wan is very aware of the fact that he could follow down his father's footsteps very easily. Yoda sends him off to defeat Vader AND the Emperor…ALONE! The Emperor was read to ditch Vader as soon as he could convince Luke to join him. Vader desperately wanted Luke to help him, the most bad*** Jedi ever, the guy people run from, the guy who chokes people when they fail him, to help him take the Emperor down because he couldn't do it alone.

And that's a Luke with -- at most -- a few weeks of training with Ben and Yoda. Imagine what this kid could do with years/decades of it.

2. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    The poll is asking how powerful you as individual think Luke should be. If the poll was asking how powerful GL thinks Luke should become, then there would be only 1 person who can answer that poll, and that would be GL, and I don't think he regulars theforce.net.

Plus, GL often says things off the top of his head, like his comment about how powerful the Chosen One should be. GL basically said something like this: "Uh, he'd be about twice as powerful as Palpatine if he reached his full potential, but since he's badly damaged, he's like 80% of Palpatine." (So, I doubt those numbers are exactly accurate.) Also, even if Luke can reach the potential of the Chosen One, that doesn't mean he will reach that potential within the time frame of the ST. It might take him 100 years to reach his full potential. Finally, many could argue that GL's logic doesn't make sense. Anakin was conceived by the midichlorians and the Force itself. Luke is the son of a Force-sensitive and a non-Force-sensitive, so if their genetics work the same as complex genetic traits do for earthlings (and they are human), then Luke would most likely end up somewhere between Padme and Anakin, and though possible, it would be decreasingly unlikely that he would end up at either extreme. Finally, Luke beginning his training at such a late age might limit his final potential, so when GL was speaking of Luke's potential he may have meant how powerful he imagined Luke would become if he had been trained properly and from childhood.

Also, GL changes his mind a lot.

Dra--- likes this.
  3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    "Lucas doesn't call the shots anymore." - quote Darth_Pevra

Seriously, this power level stuff is now incredibly fluid. The one who Disney wants to be "the strongest" will be the strongest, no matter what Lucas said in some old interview. I don't think they would care about stuff that only the hardcore fans care about.

4. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    But don't forget that the whole definition of Lucas's role as consultant is to answer exactly these kinds of questions when they arise.

5. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    How these questions are answered also depends on story necessities and marketing, not only Lucas. He's just one factor and probably not the most important one.

6. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I don't see what marketing would have to do with it. I would imagine that a question like how powerful Luke is would have been answered by Lucas early in the process and the script written around that answer. It really isn't important enough to override without a good reason and I somehow doubt there would be any good reason to go against him on something like that when adapting his own story.

7. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Amen. Pevra's on a role today. :p

Immortiss and Mystery Roach like this.
  8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    As long as Luke isn't doing any backflips...

9. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    It changes how you structure the entire plot. What power you give the villain and whether or not you temporarily or permanently remove Luke from the story altogether. Or how much power you give the Sky/Solo kids.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Luke will be better with a lightsaber and stronger with the Force but hopefully not as strong as Yoda is. Won't complain if he is but I hope he isn't.

11. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I voted for "As powerful as the Chosen One" because I wanted to see what Anakin could've really done had he not fallen to the Dark Side and been cut down. If I could I would change it to "As powerful and wise as Yoda" because I don't want Luke to be over the top and over-kill in the ST. He needs to have weaknesses and struggles (but not be a weak person) so he can over come them. If he's invincible it wouldn't make for a very compelling story.

Darth Raiden likes this.
  12. Palpatine's P.A.

Palpatine's P.A. Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2014
    It might be interesting to see other members of the new order beginning to question Luke's abilities as he gets older (not that that will necessarily lessen his abilities) and therefore his authority. Maybe some will suggest that he shouldn't be in charge by right because of what he did in the past; younger Jedi who weren't even alive when the Empire was in power. Leads to a breakaway group of jedi who join with the villain, splitting the new order in two. One of the Solo children joins with the villains perhaps. This would be a little different from the usual one traitor joining the bad guys and could make for an interesting conflict, both personal and on a larger scale.

Sorry if this should be in the plot ideas section.

13. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Wow, I'm surprised by these results. Nearly half of the respondents (48%) think that Luke should be more powerful than any Force-sensitive we have seen so far in the films. (The bottom 3 answers are all clearly more powerful than the very most powerful we have seen.)

Another 23% think that Luke should be as powerful as Palpatine and Yoda.

Altogether, that means that over 70% of you guys think Luke should be equal or more powerful than any Jedi we've seen so far.

I would've guessed that the majority wouldn't have wanted Luke even to be as poweful as Yoda. I guess I was way off!

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I foresee Luke Skywalker Jedi Master CGI-assisted blackflipping Jedi battle stuff in the future of the ST.

15. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Maybe we'll get a real escalation in the use of the Force. I have wondered, since "size matters not" & Yoda could lift an X-Wing out of a swamp, why we don't see a Jedi Master use the Force to bash a couple of enemy fighters together. I'd like to see Luke in his X-Wing with eyes closed weaving in & out amongst enemy ships, taking down TIE Fighters & also ripping them apart & crashing them into each other.

Didn't Yoda teach him there's "no difference" between moving a ship & a rock?

16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    We don't want a repeat of TFU...

17. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    I didn't play that, but he brought down a Star Destroyer didn't he? Maybe that's excessive, but again when you think back to Yoda's teachings of Luke, it almost follows that he should be able to eventually do those things I described, ie manipulate large scale objects. He's had 30 more years to develop his powers.

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes he did, among other terrible things that ****ed up the canon.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  19. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    A video game has nothing to do with canon. Surely even some of my canon adversaries around here would agree with that ;)

20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought Lucas said it was?

21. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    News to me. Maybe he'd been hitting the bourbon that day.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    The answer to this question depends upon the definition and depiction of "power" in the ST.

We have the subtler approach of the OT, which hints at one's power and displays it through wisdom, temperance and sparse but efficient usage when the need arises. The power is not seen but it is felt. This power is never defined. It is not counted, you cannot measure one's score. You simply feel that Obi-Wan, Yoda or Vader are powerful. The physical and visual manifestations of their power are sparse, but when they do happen... they hit a nerve. That is what makes those powers actually feel unique and... well.. powerful. Once you define and visualise this mystical power that the Force was originally supposed to be... you kind of cheapen it. It becomes measurable. It becomes something that you can keep score on. "Who's more powerful than who."

The PT shows us the flashier side, mostly phsyical, but (in my view) more vulgar. Jumping around, pushing stuff, ripping it out of walls and throwing at people, lightning everywhere... it relies more on the physical manifestation of the power, rather than showing us through various other means that a certain individual is powerful. True power lies not in flashy displays of ability, but rather in never actually letting yourself come to a physical encounter. You defeat your enemy before you even come to face him. That is true power.

So... how powerful should Luke be. Very powerful, but you cannot grade that. You should not grade that. His power and wisdom should actually be completely uncomparable to those of the Old Jedi Order. Why? Because he should have learned the lessions that brought that Order down and he should have taken a completely different approach to his teachings, his personal studies and, in the end, his own definitions of "power" and "knowledge." What counted as "wisdom" in the days of Yoda and Mace Windu... actually brought the Order to extinction. Do we really want Luke to think as they do?

23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Luke also hid entire planets or decimated entire armies. Is that really what we want to see? Luke Skywalker, greatest Gary Stu in the universe.

24. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Good points about grading & measuring, but we also talking about how Force power manifests itself & how it will be displayed in Ep7. If you look at ESB Yoda was trying to teach Luke that seemingly logical barriers such as size & weight are no barriers at all...as long as you can overcome those barriers in your mind. Maybe the Matrix was inspired by this concept bcs that's what Neo's lessons were all about. Anyway, if Luke continued with this thinking & training for 30 more years it's reasonable to assume he would be far better at it by Ep7. This makes me think his mental/telekinesis powers should be extremely well developed, & he should be able to move very large objects. At least as large as an X-Wing. After all Yoda showed him this could be done.

Extra note: Luke couldn't lift the X-Wing all the way partly because he didn't believe it was possible. "That was why he failed". Neo couldn't jump across to the other building at first because he didn't believe it was possible. In both cases their training was about opening their minds to believe the "impossible".

Not sure why I've gone off on a Matrix tangent. Just thought it was an interesting comparison :)

25. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    The best thing about consultants is that the film makers can ignore them whenever they like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.