main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia) in Episode VII (Sad News posted on Page 269)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by newdawn12, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Then I am in good company. Return of the Jedi is my favorite film...of all time (note: not the best film I've ever seen, by far, but still my personal favorite).

Yet never, not even once in my life, have I ever even thought of attributing Leia choking Jabba, one of my all time favorite film moments, to the Force...until this thread. And on top of that, I have never had a discussion in my life with a single person who mentioned Leia Force chain choking Jabba. It has always been widely accepted that the woman just choked this man out of anger. This has never, in my experience, been even a point of popular contention. I actually find this entire debate pretty strange.

I don't believe I've ever turned to a novelization based off a film to affect my view of said film, even though I've read some pretty awesome novelizations of film. I'm not going to start now. I don't care what the ROTJ novelization says. It has zero effect on my view of the film.

Yanksfan likes this.
  2. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Well by what the novel says it seems that's what Lucasfilm intended as the reason she could strangle him. They didn't overtly show this in the film so I can understand people not picking it up. That's exactly what the novel is for, to fill in extra detail & context for those who want it.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm OK with her having piloted bikes before, being the reason why Luke lets her do it in RoTJ.

The mind probe scene could also be partly or wholly down to her having training in interrogation resistance, as a senior Rebel.

However, with the PT, we know that Anakin could use the Force, to a degree, without any training at all.

Thus - the notion that some "untrained uses of the Force" occur from Leia onscreen, doesn't seem like too bad an issue, with the whole Saga taken into account.

KevinM1 and DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR like this.
  4. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    Remember what Luke told Leia:

"You're wrong, Leia, You have that power too. In Time you'll learn to use it as I have. The Force runs strong in our family"

I will be highly disappointed if Leia doesn't use the Force in Episode VII.

5. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

To be fair, Luke doesn't "let her" do anything. Leia just immediately jumps on the speeder bike and takes off, and Luke just tries to keep up with her. (I kinda like that actually. She just *reacts*. Go Leia).

And yeah, don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Leia displaying some "untrained uses of the Force". That's why I'm willing to concede that resistance to the mind probe could come down to that---even if that wasn't the original intent when the scene was written. I don't know, but that makes sense to me. I can see that being Force related. While the Jabba thing…..again, adrenaline is a crazy, natural, phenomenon. I really never thought while watching that scene--ever--that there was anything unrealistic and crazy about Leia managing to strangle him. So I never once thought "what?? How was she able to do that? The Force must've helped."

But then again, I just never really connected the Force with increasing strength---I'm not denying it does. If you tell me it's true, I'll believe you. I just don't remember anything in the movies being mentioned about that. While the mind probe seemed more of a "mental strength" which really does seem kinda Force-y to me.

6. Rallay

Rallay Jedi Youngling

Apr 2, 2014
    First time poster. I honestly think the only one of the 3 that will have a large part in Episode 7 is Luke. He's apparently working out to get in tip-top shape. I think Han and Leia will merely be there to set up their kids. Let's be honest, Carrie Fisher is one bad day away from disappearing on a cocaine binge. I don't think they want to wrap up a ton of story into her, and Ford has never really cared much for Star Wars it seems. I think they'll be there to establish continuity and put the real face of the Solos on their children, who will likely be woven into the story as the new Jedi/Sith.

Hi. Welcome Rallay - We are not fond of our forums being used to trash the personal struggles of the actors & actresses in these films. It's a zero tolerance policy, but since this is your first post... "Now you know! And, knowing's half the battle"!

7. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    It should be noted that this is the same novel where Obi-Wan calls Owen his brother.....

Jedi Merkurian and jaqen like this.
  8. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

Carrie Fisher has been getting into shape too, though. Have you seen the recent photos of her? She looks great. And I'm having a hard time believing it's just a coincidence when filming is starting in a month. And I really hope you're wrong about Han and Leia. Those two are my faves, so I'm hoping they get just as much screen time and story consideration as Luke does.

As for the "cocaine binge" comment….I almost don't want to touch that. Can't we leave the poor woman alone? She's clean until proven otherwise. If they could trust her enough for a major storyline in the first trilogy (when she really *was* on drugs), then they can certainly trust her now. I hope both her and Harrison have meaty roles.I think the only thing that would stop Han from having major screen time is Harrison himself. If he wants to commit to bigger part, then I'm sure the writers will be more than happy to write it for him. Am keeping my fingers crossed that Harrison is indeed onboard for that.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Probably came from a deleted scene in an early movie script.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004

:rolleyes:

KevinM1, StoneRiver, DNateos and 5 others like this.
  11. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Yep & where they make changes & the films are different to the novel the films are canon. Elements in the book they don't change or contradict should be taken seriously, such as the Leia/Jabba scene. In other words they few changes they make don't invalidate the whole rest of the novel.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

And last time, hopefully. This kind of disgusting actor bashing is not welcome here and you've been reported.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, this actor bashing needs to leave. Now.

jaqen likes this.
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    IT HAS BEEN ADDRESSED IN THE ORIGINAL POST. MOVE ALONG. NOTHING TO SEE HERE.

15. Rallay

Rallay Jedi Youngling

Apr 2, 2014
    I was not aware of the stringent “actor-bashing” policies of the site. I was just speaking honestly about an actual past problem. I didn’t know that would stir up the hornet’s nest it did since as early as February of this year, there were reports of her possibly falling off the wagon. I will refrain from making disparaging remarks about actors in the future. I was not trying to troll. With most of the message boards I post on, that type of conversation is very typical.

16. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Well I understood what you were saying. And that's the important thing.

17. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Exactly. Anakin and Luke were both able to unknowingly use the Force to do remarkable things before they were trained, so why is it hard to imagine that Leia didn't do the same?

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Because it wasn't explicitly demonstrated as part of the story. If we are supposed to assume Leia used the force at some point where it's not part of the story and it's vaguely implied because a character in a film that was released 16 years later did so, then it's not there. Star Wars may be sloppy in certain aspects but not THAT sloppy.

As "official" as the novels and radio dramas may be, they are complimentary and the movies should speak for themselves.

Yanksfan and HanSolo29 like this.
  19. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    Ganger i think u mean complementary

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    You never know... my ANH novelization says "the year's best movie" on the cover!

21. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    "Reports"? Yeah, one unsubstantiated report in a tabloid, which several internet gossip sites then quoted. Nothing since then, curiously.

Immortiss and jaqen like this.
  22. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Reading this thread you'd come to the conclusion that Carrie Fisher is the only actor in the world who has ever had a substance abuse problem.

And that she was completely clean during the original trilogy and only became "tarnished" when she left the pure, clean galaxy far, far away.

The pressures and expectations put on this woman from the Star Wars fandom is oh so reasonable. Basically "live up to our Leia fantasies...forever".

Yep, completely reasonable indeed.

23. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Again, this is all in hindsight...and it makes sense that Lucas chose Leia instead of some secret twin hidden in the unknown reaches, too. And you're wrong about the sixteen years theory — Luke was said to have excellent piloting skills way before his training, and so I don't get what you mean by implied 16 years later.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Yanksfan and plaidphoenix like this.
  25. Darthendo

Darthendo Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2013
    Some new photos

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From DailyMail

Her legs look noticeably slimmer! =D= I'm dying to see her in costume.

Immortiss and maychild like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.