main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hank Hill

Hank Hill Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 9, 2013
    VadersLaMent and UNLIMITED POWER like this.
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Good grief. Government for the wealthy by the wealthy.

Repugnant. That's a good word for this.

Valairy Scot, Juliet316 and Hank Hill like this.
  3. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Let's be clear on what this says btw. I cannot give more than 2600 bucks to a single candidate. I can give 2600 bucks to however many condaidates I wish, and to whatever and how many and how much I wish to whatever superpac I wish. It's still not good. Not good at all.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

You're welcome.

Hank Hill and VadersLaMent like this.
  5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Mark Sanford will be unopposed in our district for re-election. Seems to be doing a good job, no Democrats that I would really prefer to him in the area. Have to give it to the guy, he sure has rebounded well.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The government fails to understand that money can't buy happiness.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    It is, however, fantastic at buying the important things in life. Like votes.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    It would also get me a yacht.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    And I guess, a PS4 for me.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Herman and Grandpa would be so disappointed.

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    A judge in Ohio is saying he's throwing out Ohio's Same Sex marriage ban.

The dominos are falling fast and furious.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Kathleen Sebelius is apparently resigning. Probably a good decision. I never was on the "Fire Sebelius!" bandwagon during the actual Healthcare.gov train wreck, since it seemed to me it would merely be a symbolic move that would actually just exacerbate the lack of cohesion the whole program was suffering, but now that the dust has largely settled, it's probably time for some accountability.

Ghost likes this.
  14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I, on the other hand, don't see how it makes a lot of sense. I guess I've not seen anyone make a convincing case that the "failure" extends much beyond the particulars of website construction. The truth is that the federal contract procurement process has been terrible for a long time now, and especially so where technology is concerned. While this really marred the ACA's roll out, it was by no means historically bad for a government website, especially given the capacity and functionality it was supposed to have. If Sebelius is leaving just so people can have a scalp, whatever. But I think that one the whole, she's done a reasonable job at HHS, and I see no reason why she should be ashamed of her record there.

Ghost and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  15. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    doesn't really matter - she's the head of the dept. and the face of the rollout. her staying on would likely cause more friction than having someone new step in, even if the thing suddenly become wildly successful. it might not be fair, but that's life.

16. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I think you need to look at something like this from the perspective of John Q. Citizen and not as an educated policy wonk. About the sum of many average voter's knowledge of the ACA thus far is that 1)The website rollout was a total disaster, 2)Kathleen Sebelius was in charge of the rollout, 3)Kathleen Sebelius, nevertheless, still has her job. It's poor optics, in my opinion.

17. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    plus she's probably a nervous wreck

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    "John Q. Citizen" has no idea who Kathleen Sebelius is. :p

MrZAP and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Will give Democrats a scapegoat in midterms, and insulate the administration a bit. I don't think it will do much to reverse the wave that likely will give the GOP control of both houses of Congress, though.

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Somebody mistook Hilary for George W. Bush and threw a shoe at her at an event today.

21. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    it was daenerys

22. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    And help seal a Democratic victory in 2016. Republicans absolutely must go through wholesale, fundamental changes if they are ever going to win the presidency again, along with acting like a functional party capable of governing. Winning the Senate and keeping the House keeps those changes from happening and ensures yet another Democratic victory at the presidential level. At this point, I really don't see anyone we could reasonably call a typical Republican today winning the presidency again. By the time the GOP wins the presidency again, its nominee will have embraced things once thought unthinkable and helped force the party to evolve, much as David Cameron did for the Conservatives in Britain. It's either that or the Republicans cease to be a national party, which I think is less likely for the time being.

The Democratic nominee starts with not much less than the required number of electoral votes to win, and a basic holding action combined with winning Florida seals the election. That's true of 2016, probably 2020, and beyond. There are many other paths to victory, of course, but just winning Florida means the GOP cannot win the presidency.

23. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008

Not to mention that the Senate seats up for re-election in 2016 favor Democrats much like the seats up for re-election this year favor Republicans. I think you're right that voters will be really put off by whatever legislative agenda a Republican-controlled Congress throws together.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  24. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    that somebody throwing something at meeee?
    is that part of cirque de solayeeeeeeee?

25. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    *throws a chunk of tofu at duende*

Actually wait, no. Can I have that tofu back?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.