main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I prefer the classics.

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Ah, Batman: The Brave and the Bold. So silly, and yet so cool. I stopped watching after Season 1 but I heard rumors that Slade (I guess it'd be Deathstroke) would be on it at some point, as would Red X. Did that ever come to fruition?

3. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007

Yup just a nice nod to the character thus far, as mentioned above. Though Nightwing has come up in a few of the rumors. Also they might mention Metropolis or Gotham in an episode in the future. So far I believe we have gotten mentions of Coast City, Central City, and Bludhaven.

On Facebook Stephen Amell drops some hints now and again about future episdoes.

On the Gotham front they did add the Riddler to the cast today.

4. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    dat Dave 404 error

5. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    oh yay at least someone here plays it

(don't go illuminati tho they are evil! and super gauche!)

15 hours left y'all to get in on this amazing deal

6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I bought the massive edition last night, but I'm probably not going to play it right away because ESO. :(

[​IMG]
    I find it amusing that CHIM is merely achieving enlightenment in Advaita -- i.e.

"Let me show you the power of Talos Stormcrown, born of the North, where my breath is long winter. I breathe now, in royalty, and reshape this land which is mine. I do this for you, Red Legions, for I love you."

7. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Unfortunately, no. Deathstroke is about the one DC character not to make an appearance in the show. I still love the show, though, especially the odd yet apt choices for a lot of the voice casting. Whoever decided R. Lee Ermey should be the aged bruiser Wildcat is a genius. That's where the new quote in my signature comes from; the full quote is said to Batman as he and the other forcibly-aged Justice Society geriatrics are fighting a time-preserved foe: "I turn my back on you for two seconds, and suddenly you're eighty years old and covered in robots!"

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The Brave and the Bold gets major points for allowing Shaggy and Scooby Doo to finally just beat up villains. And have Weird Al guest star. In the same episode!

Admittedly the game passive-agressively encourages being a Templar, at least first off. But since you have three characters as part of the purchase, you can play each faction.

Illuminati is the most fun, though. Ciao-ciao!

Revanfan1 likes this.
  9. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    One more day before FTL Advanced Edition comes out!

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  10. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    If anyone else here is watching AGENTS OF SHIELD; were we supposed to assume the plane was on remote or that the only character not in the hanger bay was flying it?

(I'm trying not to spoil anyone)

Also, that character that wasn't in the hanger bay? Yeah...I kinda wish the other characters had been a little more shocked by what they did. Murdering a suspect in custody could have worked had mind control been involved, and then we discover it's not even the real enemy but a patsy.

That said, I can not wait to see THE WINTER SOLDIER, and for the first time all season I'm actually looking forward to next week's episode, although Arrow is still weeing on this show from a great height.

Even if I'm not convinced that powers belong in Arrow, it's been done so well that I'm willing to buckle my seat belt and hang on, but AoS...are there not some cosplayers they can talk to about making believable costumes? Because Deathlok is just dreadful.

darthscott3457 and Revanfan1 like this.
  11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I stopped watching of Agents of SHIELD after the Thor crossover (loved that they got Larry from Numb3rs for that role, he fit it perfectly)–but not by choice. I got behind and the next episodes in line were unable to be viewed on ABC.com, and I don't have cable so I have no way of seeing them until the DVD comes out (or it's on Netflix, or whatever). I can't wait to see The Winter Soldier, either. As to Arrow, it's still on my "to-watch" list. Just need to stop procrastinating.

12. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    I'm waiting to see AoS until the first season is done. From what I've heard, it'll be best viewed when seen back-to-back rather than spread out. That and I avoid network television as much as possible.

Arrow is terrific, but it's definitely more from the Nolan-verse inspired vision of the DCU than anything. It's a dark, brooding, and often shockingly brutal show. But the acting and writing are excellent and it often has the scope of a feature film while retaining the slow-burning characterization of a TV show. The best of both worlds.

I've heard nothing but good things about TWS. Most reviews say it's one of the top three Marvel films yet, right there with the first Iron Man and the Avengers. It's apparently good enough that the Marvel execs greenlit "Cap 3" (involving the a crazy fascist knock-off of Cap if what the Russo bros have said is true) three months before this one had even been viewed by the public.

darthscott3457 and Revanfan1 like this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If May really has gone evil I'm going to lose my ****.

And somebody drop Skye out of a plane into an ocean of Mary-Sue-disintegration. Please.

14. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    So, six hours into the first Assassin's Creed game, I have to admit, it's been more fun than I expected. Free-running through various Middle Eastern cities is entertaining enough, and the actual assassinating you do make for interesting stealth/puzzle sections. The problem is, it's pretty much the same as what I played of ACIII, only with different skins and textures over everything. And the combat engine is so idiot proof that I've yet to actually die in any actual encounter, especially since I got the counter-attack back. I slaughtered about half of the contingent of guards in the entirety of Jerusalem during one "save the civvy" side mission and only took two hits the entire time.

That might not be a problem, except for the fact that it basically invalidates one of the tenants of the titular Creed when you can go about your business without any fear of being discovered, because you can then slaughter your enemies at will. I don't bother to even avoid fights unless I specifically need to get somewhere else or the mission disallows it. There's no reason for stealth to even be a factor except when the game makes it an instant-loss condition. Even some of the assassination missions can be solved by drawing attention to yourself and simply killing your way to the target.

Thus, it's more fun that I'd expected, but still rather meh. The main missions are okay, but the side-missions are repetitive, the combat is boring and any attempt at "stealth" is pointless. I'm really only playing for the story at this point, and even that's a rather tenuous hold, since I find the main plot ideas and historical time period interesting, but every character I've encountered so far is two-dimensional at best. That and the amusing physics bugs. Apparently, pressing "gentle push" causes Altair's arms to dislocate at random.

I'll keep playing and probably finish it up eventually, but the only one of the other games this is making me want to play is Black Flag, since that one apparently lets you ignore the whole "assassin" thing and just be a pirate instead. None of the others intrigue me. But at least I'm enjoying this game more than Darksiders. So hey, props for that.

15. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    That's how I felt after the first episode, so I haven't watched anything after that. It was really pretty disappointing.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It's gotten worse. I'm holding out to see what the show does with Coulson and May, and to see if it brings in more established Marvel characters and more Fury appearances, before I decide if I'll stick around after this season.

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Cynical_Ben, granted I haven't played ACIII or IV, but II is just soooo good. It really takes all the good parts of I and makes them better, while getting rid of all the bad parts of I. For example, the first game always had you return to the present whenever you completed a level/memory, while II barely touches upon the present in comparison. That's just one of many improvements from I to II.

Jedi Ben and patchworkz7 like this.
  18. patchworkz7

Mar 26, 2004

ACIII has problems...mainly that I was still doing tutorials five hours in...but then someone looked at one of the tutorials and realized it was fricking cool and took the pirate mechanic and made ACIV, which is one of the best games EVAH! Certainly the smoothest AC game.

But I do agree about the jump in quality from AC1 to AC2, and I think they sorted out the lore as well (although by AC3 that has gotten weird) so that things really start to click.

19. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    The tutorial was my favorite part of the game, by far. I didn't want it to stop. :p

20. patchworkz7

Mar 26, 2004
    Every time the game started to ramp up the emotional stakes or the tension..."oh, we need a table!", and thus begins the table construction tutorial.
    Breathtaking chase through the woods is followed by; "You know...we can SELL these tables by shipping them via caravan...do you know how to ship tables to town?"

I just wanted to stab people!!

ACIV blissfully integrates the stabbing and trading and sets the trading stuff off to the side to be done at your own pace, and it made me actually like that little side game because I could just do it whenever I felt like it instead of being forced out of the already jerky feeling story.

21. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    On the other hand, AC3 let you stab people as Haytham. AC4 required you to do it with...Edward.

22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't know anything for certain about Winter Soldier, but the scuttlebutt I've seen is that there's a split in SHIELD between the idealists like Fury and Cap and the hardline Big Brother types. My read on yesterday's AoS is that Mae's a loyalist and Robert Redford had her keeping an eye on Coulson--who will of course side with Fury.

23. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Well, II is my brother's favorite, and he's actually played all of the games bar the portable ones and IV. Maybe I'll pick that one up after I'm done with the first one, then skip right past the rest to Black Flag once it's cheaper.

24. patchworkz7

Mar 26, 2004

There's a really inexpensive collection called the Ezio collection that has AC2, Brotherhood, and Revelation. I'd really recommend that. And AC3 is pretty cheap now...I'd still recommend playing it for the experience. At the very least it's fascinating to see how the games get more refined, and the jump from AC3 to AC4 is just amazing. It really stands as an example of a game company taking a look at what worked and what didn't and ejecting the stuff that didn't, both in gameplay and story.

25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I'll watch AoS when Deadpool shows up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.