main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He's on vacation?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe. They'll probably come up with something that let's him come back for Episodes 8 or 9 if needed. Some secret mission or something.

3. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I think you're still overstating. I am not going to address all those names point by point, but you say he is below Lando? Are ya serious? Lando doesn't even appear until the 3rd act of E5, and even once he appears he is no more of a major character than Chewie.
    Audiences are smart enough to deserve an explanation, and there isn't a single fan who would be satisfied with an unexplained, off-screen death of such a major character. If the producers of E7 did what you suggest, people would be outraged. They would not meekly shrug their shoulders and saw "well I guess he died...."

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012

You're probably watching the wrong movie then. :p

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The PT!
    But just saying, what if Ford doesn't come back? Died offscreen? Or off doing some secret mission?

6. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I'd have no problem believing that he died sometime in the 30 years. **** happens.

Edit: Gotta star out the whole word.

7. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I would give serious amounts of money to have that in the intro scroll.

"A dreadful threat plagues the fragile New Republic!
    [something something]
    Also, Han Solo died sometime. **** happens."

8. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
  9. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014

If Han isn't in it, Leia won't be in it, and the movie will explain that they're off somewhere doing whatever. All we really need is Luke, to pass the torch.

10. Fastback

Fastback Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 12, 2014

I can use the Marvel movies to Marvel comics with Star Wars. The Marvel comics over the many years and changed so much like or not and it would be crazy to ask those who make a movie based on a Marvel character to follow the comic. Star Wars EU has followed the movies from ROTJ and continued the story to further it along the last 30yrs and it is all part of the same timeline. JJ does not have to follow everything from EU but there is a foundation there for him to start from, Skywalker/Solo families, still use names, places, things etc. He can use "Legacy of the force" and adapt it in a script that makes sense for a movie.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. Fastback

Jan 12, 2014

I would be very dissappointed if those making VII, completly discount EU and make up an all new story. I don't see why they can have a all new story that starts after Legacy of the Jedi or Fate of the Jedi even though timeline is a little off. He has a good foundation to start with from EU and go from there. I think most on here are over thinking it and making it seem impossible as if JJ has to include everything from EU. He does not and he should be capable to continue from OT to EU to ST that makes sense. I guess we will see when we get a script and it makes sense for all of us Star Wars nuts.

12. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

But the EU isn't the foundation for him to start from, the movies are.

The issue is, as soon as you leave out 1 thing, it changes EVERYTHING in the EU.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    **** happens.

TigerCraneFist , DarthBreezy and T-R- like this.
  14. Fastback

Jan 12, 2014
    [quote="sluggo1313., post: 51435335, member: 1379556
    But the EU isn't the foundation for him to start from, the movies are.

The issue is, as soon as you leave out 1 thing, it changes EVERYTHING in the EU.[/quote]

Sorry I'm not trying to argue and understand if you don't like EU but IMO I don't see using EU is leaving out the movies. The last movie with the big three was over 30 years from ROTJ and EU used them as the foundation to continue. I don't see why JJ can't continue from EU 30 years later. He has Mara Jade, Ben Skywalker, Jacen Solo, Jaina Solo, Ankin Solo etc so many great characters that have grown the last 30 years with the big three and all together we will have a all new story trilogy that does not have to explain everything from the book but move on from there.

15. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    He's working from Geoprge Lucas treatments, and George never read the books.
    George Lucas saw the books, and comics as a revenue stream, like toys, bedsheets, and that's about it.

16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought Lucas oversaw some of the books though?

17. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013
    Sorry I'm not trying to argue and understand if you don't like EU but IMO I don't see using EU is leaving out the movies. The last movie with the big three was over 30 years from ROTJ and EU used them as the foundation to continue. I don't see why JJ can't continue from EU 30 years later. He has Mara Jade, Ben Skywalker, Jacen Solo, Jaina Solo, Ankin Solo etc so many great characters that have grown the last 30 years with the big three and all together we will have a all new story trilogy that does not have to explain everything from the book but move on from there.[/quote]

I like some of the EU, some of it just bad.

I didn't say using the EU = leaving out hte movies,I said the movies and not hte EU is foundation that Abrams is and should be building on.

There are several reasons Kennedy, Abrams etc.. won't/aren't using the EU. 1) They don't want to hamper their creativity (neither did Lucas when he wrote the outlines) and put limits on what stories they can tell since the ST is going to be a launch pad for MORE Star Wars for the next 10-20 years. 2) The % of hte audience that has read, and strongly cares about the EU is tiny, there is no money in pandering to them. 3) Having to catch the audience up on 30 years of history is not a good way to start a movie. And if they just ignore whats happened in the EU the last 30 years (ie - have Jaina and Jacen together, ignoring Jaina killing Jacen, they aren't really following the EU anyway).

Some of characters you mentioned were great, some weren't. How doy ou now the characters Lucas, Kennedy, Arndt, Abrams etc... create won't be just as great if not better? Why take the typical fan boy position "oh my god its different, then its terrible".

18. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

He had some input int he Zahn trilogy, after that not so much. He has said he couldn't keep up even if he tries and basically said he doesn't really care that much. He has gone so far as to say the Books and the movies are different universe's.

DarthBreezy likes this.
  19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    As it should be. It's a lose-lose situation for both the fans and filmmakers.

20. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    This thread goes right round baby right round like a record baby right round round round...
    [​IMG]

21. Fastback

Jan 12, 2014
    He stated that but not in a sense that the books are moot. He just meant that what was in his head came out in the movies and what is in EU is what he allowed the writers to do. He understood that the Star Wars that he created has gone far and above him and that is why he sold it so it can continue on. He also had his name and imput in most all books and TCW after ROTJ. We can go round and round about this and speculate all we want but we shall see what JJ came up with and reveals it and I will debate on it than.

22. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

He had basically in input in any book after the Zahn books. TCW he was very invested in.

23. Teniel Djo

Teniel Djo Jedi Master star 5

Apr 8, 2000
    I sincerely hope you're right about that. From many other people's posts, I'm also glad to see I'm not the only one who would love it if the Thrawn trilogy was the movies. As for the problem with the timeline, I think they could still have elements of Zahn's books (like Grand Admiral Thrawn) but change the story enough to have it focus on Jacen and Jaina instead of the older people. Some people would probably hate that, but I'm mostly interested in seeing Grand Admiral Thrawn again if he gets to do his awesome Thrawn things, and it wouldn't bother me if they twisted the timeline to do it. If they don't do the Thrawn series, I hope they don't do the EU at all with the exception of maybe a nod here or there.

Also, since someone asked, the reason I personally hate The New Jedi Order books and anything that happens after that is that I hate tragedy. I hate what happens to Jacen's character. I'm not making any statement about the quality of the writing. This is a personal preference for me. So if you like tragedy, then I get why you would like that series. But the whole reason I first loved Star Wars is because it's ultimately about hope. Bad things happen, but it all turns out okay in the end. I would love it if the ST returned to the optimism of the OT. As much as I would love to see some tie-ins to the EU, I'd be happy with any well-written story that doesn't depress me.

ChildOfWinds and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  24. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    The only characters from the EU, that I see making it into the new timeline are Jacen, Jaina, and possibly Mara Jade, and that is because George Lucas was involved in the Thrawn Trilogy. Remember though, the movie is supposed to take place 21 years after TTT.

ScorpionJedi likes this.
  25. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

And just like Pete Burns, it goes from that to this...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.