main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Hayden do a good job as Anakin?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Rotticus, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Being able to relate to character allows for so much more connection to the movies and the outcomes. I feel the same way as you do. I relate to Anakin in so many aspects of his character, and Hayden pulled it off. Though he may have been a "whiney" character, that's how it was supposed to be.

Andy Wylde and Thoix Heoro like this.
  2. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I've said this before, but I'll say it again, because I was watching some of TCW episodes last night. Despite my best efforts, I was never able to like Anakin on any level in the PT and so I found it difficult to buy into the tragedy of his character. To me he was just a bit of an ******* who got what was coming to him. The guy in the cartoon, however, I actually quite like!

3. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    The Anakin in TCW has a lot more honor and respect due to him than the Anakin presented to us in the PT movies.

4. Palpatine's P.A.

Palpatine's P.A. Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2014
    50% pretty good, 50% quite bad

Nails half his lines; butchers the other half

5. PodracingSkywalker

PodracingSkywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2014
    I think when Hayden was good, he was great, and when he was bad...yeah. I blame that moreso on George's direction though. I know it's commonly thought of / remarked that Hayden can't act his way out of a paper bag, but he was actually fantastic in Life as a House and Shattered Glass.

6. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    That's because it's the different stage of a character.

Immature Padawan-Experienced Knight

Darth Dominikkus likes this.
  7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Seriously! And that's the place where the director is supposed to step in and say, "Do it again, but say it like this."

8. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    Not as good a job as Ewan McGregor did as Obi-Wan. I will leave it at that.

9. PodracingSkywalker

Apr 1, 2014
    Ewan was a revelation as Obi-Wan. Even the worst written lines he had were delivered with perfection.

10. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Prefection, you say...

I love Obi-Wan and I love Ewan as Obi-Wan, but as much as I love the scene with the following line, the following was anything but a good delivery:

"I even saw him killing," covers mouth as if to hide a grin, "younglings."

I've heard this was a moment where Ewan was actually fighting a laugh, but goodness, that was "bad actor 101" delivery.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. PodracingSkywalker

Apr 1, 2014
    lol oh yeah I forgot about that

12. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I think it is a false urban legend about Ewan trying not to laugh on set during that moment. Frankly, I dont see what is so funny about that line. Its pretty straightforward. "I saw him killing younglings". Um, okay. The word younglings in the SW movies, had been around since the previous movie. This legend started because some haters want anything and everything about the prequels to appear to be "laughably" bad.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  13. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    You misunderstand - the delivery of the line was so bad I cringed. Only time, actually, that I cringed at Ewan.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  14. neo313

neo313 Jedi Master

Jul 27, 2004
    GL made Natalie Portman look bad, and she's since won an Oscar, so I don't think it's fair to blame the actors for crappy directing and god awful dialogue.

vinsanity likes this.
  15. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I'm sorry you feel that way, Val. I never thought humour was the cause of his delivery style of that line.

Cael-Fenton likes this.
  16. MiWa

MiWa Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2014
    Well... He had some bad moments and lines, but overall I think he was a good choice, somehow he just fits to Anakins role, I don't know is it about his looks or something.

17. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Not good as Ewan, Ian, Christopher Lee and Samuel. (and even Ray Park)

18. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

All or most of the SW actors have made me cringe at one time or the other. Hayden Christensen was not alone. Nor were the actors of the PT. The OT actors, in my opinion, were just as guilty. I think it is the style of the dialogue for the entire franchise. It seemed part operatic and part Velveeta Cheese. I've simply grown used to it over the years.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  19. yodafan1031

yodafan1031 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014
    You know...I was on the hater bandwagon at one point. I really was. I do think the writing and directing were probably not great. But I enjoy the movies. I love SW and that includes the PT. Did Hayden do a good job as Anakin? Hell yes. As discussed by some already, the scene in particular of describing what he did to the Tuskens...*shivers*...woo. Chilling.

Thoix Heoro and FRAGWAGON like this.
  20. deadly jp

deadly jp Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2014
    Hayden was good for portraying anakin and he shouldnt be replaced

Andy Wylde likes this.
  21. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    Hayden did as well as he could with 21st Century Lucas directing. He really should have let someone who knows how to talk to actors help him out.

22. MrCody

MrCody Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 4, 2013
    I like hayden as anakin, i thought he did the job very well. If you picture other actors trying to use some of the lines he had to use, anyone would look silly. Plus he was awesome wielding the lightsaber

Andy Wylde likes this.
  23. Cael-Fenton

Cael-Fenton Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Hey Val, I know you wrote this a couple of months ago, but I just saw it, and I'm amazed that I feel compelled to defend anything about Ewan's RotS performance to you of all people...:p

From memory, the actual line is:
    "I have seen [pause] a security hologram [smaller pause] of him [long pause, presses hand against mouth] killing younglings."

I actually thought the delivery was perfect. Absolutely heartbreaking but subtle and not over-acted. His voice cracks slightly on "seen". His voice sounds faintly ragged, like he's forcing the words out. He pauses repeatedly --- to me it was clear that he's talking about the worst moment of his life.

As for the hand gesture, I thought it was part of the repertoire of little tics that he gave Obi-Wan. In this case, it was a self-comforting thing, the same one we see as he leaves Mustafar. It's consistency in body language. Even if you don't want to give him that much credit... come on, you can't seriously believe Ewan was doing that to hide a laugh. We had more professionalism in my high school drama club. If he was already so obviously out of character, I think he'd just let go and laugh and do another take.

Seagoat and FRAGWAGON like this.
  24. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    We'll have to disagree, because truly it looked like deliver line, physical action-oh yeah, hand over mouth, etc.

As for the stifling a laugh, that's something I heard mentioned and if true, GL should have used another take.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  25. Cael-Fenton

Cael-Fenton Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2006
    If it was just the hand, I'd agree with that. But it was also the anguished way he closes his eyes and inhales sharply just before he does it, as though the memory physically hurt him.

I'd heard that rumour too, but I thought it was the moment just after Padmé says "You're going to kill him aren't you." For a split second there, the corners of his eyes crinkle in the same way as when he's about to smile.

edit
    apologies for the OT posts, I'll quote this old post for truth. IMO ragging on Hayden or the script for being wooden is like criticising Sophocles for being psychologically unrealistic.