main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Marvel to acquire Star Wars comics/graphic novels license in 2015

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rew, Jan 3, 2014.

1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    For some reason I associate it with Spider-man, but I haven't had much success finding a corresponding pic of spidey in the same pose.

2. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    So, Pablo linked a Cracked article on his Twitter that called out the Pixar/Star Wars film as being bull hockey. I think we can put that one to bed.

3. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Put it to bed? Did people actually believe that?

4. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    They must have, or it would never have been passed around like the fruitcake at Christmas dinner.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    hhahah, I loved that twittering back and forth of Star Wars and Marvel. I wanna see Galactus try to eat Courscant or something insane like that. The Trek/X-Men crossovers I dig because they're just bugnuts. I'm saying not do super serious seriously crossover but have fun with it.

6. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Ha, you're totally right. That's Spidey's standard "I've just been beaten up bad and now I'm going to monologue about how that right hook felt like a freight train" pose.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well..... crap..... My hopes were misplaced:

Either they do collect the final 3 issues in a very slim 4th TPB or they don't!

3-issue are not unknown but are rare, hope it gets issued - perhaps at the same time as Rebel Heist and the final Star Wars (Star Wood) trade? As this suggests they'll stick to the 5 issues to TPB so that means Star Wood gets 4.

8. JediDingo

JediDingo Jedi Master star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Star Wars in the style of Marvel Now Hawkeye would be amusing...

Also I hope Kelly DeConnick gets to work on a title or two

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd love to see a Fraction series- his Invincible Iron Man was an awesome series (and Iron Man, like a lot of Marvel titles after the Marvel NOW creative changes, really hasn't been that good since) and what I read of Hawkeye was quite good too.

11. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Hopefully if it if Matt Fraction, he channels Sex Criminals more than Satellite Sam. The former is one of my favorite current books, but the latter was so tangled and muddled that I had to drop it after a few issues.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    re: Fraction

Where Inhumans is concerned Fraction's on record as saying it's one of those things that just didn't work, he was going for one thing, Marvel another. For me he's highly variable, but I really enjoyed The Order. That said I'm sceptical it's Fraction as the Inhumans story has yet to start in earnest so it can't be a popular event yet!

Hickman? He's got enough on his plate with 2/3 Avengers books plus Image.

The bigger clue to me would be a recently finished Marvel Now book, what's in the frame? Hawkeye hasn't finished yet.

13. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Jason Aaron just left all of his X-Men books, including one he had just launched. Just saying.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Bit early in the year to start pulling writers off books to write Star Wars comics, isn't it? Unless, they wanna go crazy and get Steve McNiven (Civil War) to draw the opening arc, kind of like how Brand New Day started with a 3 issue one-a-week run. And he seems to need, like, a 6 month lead time for 4 issues.

Nice to see they're thinking of coming out of the gate with a few titles ala Dark Horse.

Yeah, I still haven't gotten Brain Wood's Star Wars, I was being all cocky and waiting for a complete series collection but now I'm trying not to hit the PANIC!! button, only kinda. (Which is why I'm going to buy the Maul mini in single issues)

On the flipside, did you see The Star Wars is getting 3 (freakin' 3!!) different types of collected editions in August? A HC, a trade, a deluxe HC? Treatments like that usually get spaced out over months. It does seem they're trying to get it all out there.

I still get the feeling they'll put their final Star Wars single issue comics (that are coming out in August) in a trade format for various series for September / October. Why would they stop Star Wars comics in August if they never intended to put those final arcs into trades? If they were just trying to burn the license for as much money as possible, they'd run single issues through to December 31st.

So, generally, yes, I believe those August-ending Star Wars arcs will get trades. In September. Or October. After that....eh, I would start getting dicey.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    He still has Thor and Original Sin, the upcoming Southern Bastards and a pile of stuff he can't announce. Not convinced Aaron would be a good fit for SW though.

16. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    You said it: stuff he can't announce.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Perhaps but that could easily be more Image or Vertigo stuff. I'm curious as to why you think he'd be a good fit for SW?

18. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I don't think he would be especially good or bad, but he does fit the description Rich Johnston gave.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, OK, I'm sceptical he'd be a good fit - much as I like Scalped, Ghost Rider and his Thor run is shaping up nicely I think he works best with grittier material.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hey, I know, if we're just throwing names around.....

Alan Moore

[face_devil]

21. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I wonder whether or not Marvel will add Dark Horse era Star Wars comics to their app.

22. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

I would take anything Rich says with very large grains of salt, and that's counting him as a friend from the WEF drink-up days.

Bleeding Cool constantly highlights why I miss Rich's old Red-Yellow-Green categories from his Lying in the Gutters days.

I think Jason Aaron could be good as he's done some SF type stuff with Wolverine and the X-Men, especially his stuff with Kid Gladiator and Brood. His SCHISM storyline was deftly done and should be a model of how to do a self-contained event in only five issues (okay, Gillen's Generation Hope crossed over for one issue, but otherwise it was pretty self-contained).

With Image putting out so many creator owned pieces by so many people working at Marvel it's almost hard to keep track of who has what coming out.

I would also add that Remender is wrapping up his big meta-arc on Avengers and his FEAR AGENT work as well as BLACK SCIENCE shows he does SF well.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Can't agree on Schism as an example of Aaron's best, as an event it was so clunky and mechanistic. I suppose yes, Marvel were remarkably restrained on the tie-ins there. The first issues of Wolverine & the X-Men though? Those were great! Having Daredevil sue the hellfire brats was genius.

Unfortunately, I don't think Remender's ever topping Fear Agent.

24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Fixed.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Rubbish Coop, UXF ain't all that, just as Hawkeye isn't!