main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I think both are rather dull as presented via the films.

Sarge likes this.
  2. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013

Well, except for the Rebel/Imperial Officer extras....

3. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    The Imperial extras are some of my faves in ESB and RotJ. :D

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    You rebel scum.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  5. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I think this is an unpopular opinion: I think TCW + OT makes for a much better saga than PT + OT. Anakin Skywalker is portrayed with the right good guy/bad guy ratio, he's given legitimate reasons to resent the Jedi, he's portrayed by a much more convincing actor, we get much more about the nature of the Force, we get full explanations for where the clone army is from and what the Separatists are doing that makes secession worth going to war over, the list goes on, and virtually all the important character background we get in the PT is covered anyway, including Anakin's childhood and Qui-Gon. The only real problem is that we don't know how Anakin got together with Padme, but given how that is explained in the films I don't consider it a major loss; I'll take nothing over that. And I think the fact that you still wouldn't really know for sure that Darth Vader was Anakin Skywalker until Ep. V because you wouldn't see the duel at the end of Ep. III could also work out really well. You could watch it in chronological order without the major spoiler.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  7. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Indeed it is interesting,

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Mortis arc does give a rather big hint though.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  9. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I've yet to see the notorious 'Yoda arc' of TCW, but I can definitely see where the opinion that TCW delivers more than the PT is coming from. For myself, at least, it comes down to the expectations of of many fans wanting to see just where, how and what this 'friendship' between Obi-Wan Kenobi and and Anakin Skywalker was about.

We didn't see much more in the PT between Obi-Wan & Anakin beyond a cranky teacher scolding a difficult student, despite the very occasional line acknowledging mutual respect. TCW, however, shows a strong, dynamic relationship between a wise master and a powerful, promising apprentice whose respect for each other simply grows with each adventure, while also building upon the niggling conflicts which exist between them.

It's not really a Saga topic, but TCW seems to be incredibly under-rated as a part of the overall SW story. Many PT haters could find themselves finally satisfied by a handful of TCW episodes which deliver what they really wanted to see of the Old Republic era.

If you can't derive some sort of enjoyment out of seeing R2-D2 beating the living crap out of another astromech droid - and the fate of that episode hinging upon the outcome - then Star Wars probably isn't your thing.

Not to mention my favourite TCW moment:

10. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Interesting thoughts, Nub. I finally watched half of TCW and I still don't see the friendship Ben spoke of nor do I like Anakin any more. I am not a PT hater or a TCW hater but there is very little I like in either. Obi-Wan and Dooku being about the only characters that stand out to me. But, I'm happy for those that enjoy PT and TCW. :)

11. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    I believe that the Jedi and the Republic are deliberately lionized in the films, while the Empire and the Sith are deliberately smeared.
    IMO, this is done, so that the average viewer will have little problem choosing which side to support; the Jedi being the obvious choice, as every time they are shown onscreen they are committing "acts of good", while the Sith are only shown chocking, killing, maiming or hating someone, in other words, committing "acts of evil".

12. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I agree. What's more the Jedi's 'acts of good' aren't wholly as they do things they condemn the Sith and Empire for themselves yet they are still seen as good.

Anzeroth2112 likes this.
  13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    So that means you abide by tyranny? The Empire shows its true colors the minute it builds a superweapon and then uses it to instill fear and control the populace.

Andy Wylde and Sarge like this.
  14. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    No, it doesn't mean I abide tyranny, Sinister. I don't condone bad acts on either side as I have said countless times. The DS usage I simply do not see in the same light as you, it doesn't mean I condone it.

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    DS usage, you mean Death Star or dark side?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  16. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    The Death Star it's what you cited.

17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    So using the Death Star to quiet insurrections and free speech, is okay to you?

Andy Wylde and Darthmaul208 like this.
  18. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    I thoroughly enjoy the Ewoks. They make Star Wars fun!

19. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    I don't care if Peter Mayhew, Kenny Baker, Jeremy Bulloch et al. come back for the sequel trilogy. It won't bother me if they do come back in some capacity, but I don't believe that only those specific actors can perform satisfactory waving of Chewie's arms or spinning of R2s head.

20. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The Vader suit is pretty goofy, and that is why it suits a film like ANH.

Andy Wylde and FRAGWAGON like this.
  21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Death Sticks obviously.

*waits for HIMYM gif*

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Not worthy enough.

23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Hayden Christensen was great as Anakin.

24. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    The dark side is an external entity and it can be destroyed.

25. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Interesting. Something like the Son?