main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. cje24576

cje24576 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 21, 2010
    Can anyone tell me why it's taking so long for the text errors to be fixed?

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    What do you mean, exactly?

3. cje24576

cje24576 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 21, 2010
    I mean how for old posts, the text is cut off at the end so you can't see the whole post. I know I'm not the only person dealing with this issue.

4. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That'd be the truncation issue. It has its own thread: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/truncated-posts.50003169/

The tl;dr is Grimby has been on reduced time and hasn't been able to properly address the matter. We've also been running into speedbumps from IGN. We'll post in there when anything changes.

5. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    If you're using "his number", then that means you're using BBCode directly, which does not ever generate an alert. You have to use the at-sign method by typing @Sith-I-5 to generate an alert. Typing [USER=709637]Sith-I-5[/USER] will not generate an alert, even if you use his real username. This is because the at-sign method is converted to BBCode upon saving, and if BBCode was capable of generating alerts, then every edit to or quote of the post would produce another alert, which would get quite annoying after a while.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  6. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
  7. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I would assume not, since TFN does not use an encrypted connection (note the "http://" prefix to the URL; encrypted connections use "https://") and therefore would not be using encryption server software like OpenSSL.

8. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I know for a fact we don't use OpenSSL, but just for fun, I tested both theforce.net and boards.theforce.net this morning and both came back clean.

pronker likes this.
  9. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Okay, thank you!

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Thanks Grimby!

11. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    That said, a lot of IT/security experts recommend you change your passwords for EVERYTHING you have regardless. For example, this article warns you to change your Facebook password. If you have your JC account synced with Facebook, you should definitely update both passwords.

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What if I signed up via my gmail account?

13. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    You should change any password associated with any Google account you have.

14. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

This would also include the 'can't search through one's on post history' issue?

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Apparently somebody else has to address that and that person according to LAJ_FETT is on vacation.

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    No, that's a wholly unrelated server communication issue. See this thread for details: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/search-bar-not-working.50019493/

17. Kess Banta

Kess Banta Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 23, 2014
    Suddenly, I can't load links to images anymore. And my edit post function doesn't work. Troubleshooting tips?

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    What browser are you using to view the forums, and did it recently update?

19. Kess Banta

Kess Banta Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 23, 2014
    Firefox.... a while ago.

20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    There are some issues with Firefox v 23 and later - see this thread here in Comms. If that doesn't help let us know what version of Firefox you are running and what add-ons you have (like an ad-blocker, etc).

21. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Two things:

1. The search function (which had previously worked brilliantly) has been returning an error message the past few days

2. When I use Tapatalk, the "participated" view (I have the German version of the app, where it's called "teilgenommen", not sure the exact English equivalent is -- the view that shows <you the threads you've posted in) doesn't load.

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Search issue is board wide - isn't just you. Our server admin is away on vacation and doesn't have the secure software needed to log in and fix it so we're waiting for him to come back.

I think Grimby updated Tapatalk here recently - I'll tag him for your other question.

23. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Why do I keep being signed out every time I close the tab or turn off my computer when before i just left myself signed in?

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    You need to make sure you're checking the little box that says "stay logged in", otherwise you'll automatically be logged out. Do that, and you'll always remain logged in, even after leaving the site or shutting off your comp.

25. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Right I just did that so i should be okay but before I don't think I did.