main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What are the biggest remaining EU mysteries?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Apr 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Now that the only things on the horizon are the Rebels TV Show and the still-enigmatic ST, with no major upcoming books or comics, I guess it's a good time to reflect and ask this question: what are the biggest remaining EU mysteries?

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Since the Celestials have mostly been taken to being one and the same as the Ones -- although Denning tried not to make that correlation, "the Ones are what Celestials become" or whatever -- I guess the Tho Yor are the biggest mystery that comes to mind. There's some hinted at intent behind depositing the galaxy's Force sensitives on Tython together, and a purpose. What is that purpose? The Jedi order? Why? And who is the engineer of this?

I have my headcanon answers.

3. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    How do the Je'daii become the Jedi?
    What's with Marka Ragnos being "the reigning Dark Lord" while "the republic drives us to extinction"?
    How does Vitiate die?
    Who sabotaged Tenebrous's mining droid?

4. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    I'd like to know what became of Starkiller, and other associated questions (how did Vader escape before ANH? Was the Dark Apprentice actually a thing in continuity, or was he just there as in the alternate ending?)

5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Good point -- the Force Unleashed saga is unresolved.

That said, I have my headcanon answers for that too.

6. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Why Troy Denning wrote Crucible and not Matt Stover.

[​IMG]

Ghost, saltmanz, TKT and 14 others like this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The unknown Skywalkers and Solos between Crucible and the start of the Legacy comics.

8. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013

I imagine if we do get an answer it will be depressingly utilitarian.

Something along the lines of the Dark Apprentice tracks Vader to whatever base he's being held in, the Dark Apprentice kills Kota and frees Vader, Starkiller sacrifices himself to defeat the Dark Apprentice.

Which leaves us at square one for ANH and would give a little bit more EU meaning as to why Leia was trying to contact Obi Wan - because the last Jedi general was unceremoniously killed off.

9. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I don't think that the Dark Apprentice was intended to be 'canon,' but that the dark side ending is an alternate ending and the Dark Apprentice is just as "real" as the Imperial victory over Kamino in the dark side ending, and Distant Thunder was created as a post hoc explanation. So I honestly believe if that story is ever wrapped up, whether it be through a Sean Williams novel or miraculously a third game, the Dark Apprentice won't be in it at all and won't exist. Having Starkiller sacrifice himself again would be rather droll, and I'm pretty sure that's not the intended end for the character.

10. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    How teh HAT was forged.

AdmiralWesJanson and spicer like this.
  11. Protectorate

Protectorate Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2013
    1. What happened to Tremayne and other prominent Inquisitors like Brandl and Redge?
    2. Did Jennir survive the Dark Times?
    3. Otherspace? Is it sealed forever, does it come into play ever again?
    4. How did Grand Admiral Makati perish?
    5. Did Rotta the Hutt survive to adulthood?
    6. What happened to Logray? Did he die? Did he try to attack the tribe? Did he just stay exiled forever?
    7. Final fates of a bunch of minor characters that kind of ended on cliffhangers: Anja Gallandro, Tigris and Rillao, Dani and Kiro, Darca Nyl and Wyl Tarson, Zuckuss, Bossk, and a host of others.

spicer, Revanfan1 and Nom von Anor like this.
  12. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Could you share those with us? I'd like any possible explanation for how Vader escapes the Rebels and what people think happens to Starkiller and the Dark Apprentice.

purplerain likes this.
  13. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Who was the Mayor of Sernpidal?

14. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    What happened to Rosh Penin?

:p

spicer and Revanfan1 like this.
  15. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Whatever happened to Puffers? Just where did Bel Iblis disappear to, anyways?

ChildOfWinds and Revanfan1 like this.
  16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Well, I don't think that there is a Dark Apprentice in 'canon,' to start. I think Starkiller's absence in the OT is pretty well set up by TFU2's ending and Vader's final line: so long as Juno lives, Vader will always control Starkiller -- consequently, as long as Starkiller is alive, Juno will always be in danger from Vader. Furthermore, we see that when Vader does hold Juno's life literally in his hands, Starkiller is willing to compromise everything else to ensure she remains unharmed. It's not difficult to imagine Boba Fett helping free Vader en route to Dantooine -- I'm assuming that the Rogue Shadow didn't jump straight from Dantooine from Kamino regardless of the decoy freighters -- and a situation unfold where Juno is threatened by Vader again, resulting in Starkiller doing something like killing Kota in order to ensure her continued safety, only to realize that by compromising himself for Juno he's poisoning what he could possibly have with her regardless. Thus so long as Vader is around, he can't be with Juno, and unable to kill Vader, he fakes his death to protect Juno and make Vader lose interest in her -- and if he killed Kota, he can't face Juno because of what he's done anyway.

Of course, they could just be really boring and kill everyone off in the third game/story and really render the whole trilogy inherently pointless, as it seems most people want bad writing. But I think this sets up a rather interesting post-ROTJ redemption story. And no, not "redemption from the dark side," an actual redemption story like in non-SW stories.

There's actually a lot of nuance to the Starkiller character and what they did in TFU2 that people overlook in terms of the game being a character study and the why of the ambiguity of whether he's a clone or the original and why that matters (or doesn't), why he goes to the cave on Dagobah (no, it wasn't a gratuitous inclusion of Yoda), etc.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  17. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Biggest mysteries? Hmm, let's think...

Cad Bane does he contra...

Okay, okay, I won't go there.

18. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    I want General Grievous' full family tree. I want the names of his parents and his wives and all 30 of his kids :p

Revanfan1 and Starkeiller like this.
  19. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    What happened to Set Harth?
    I want a jet nebula story.
    What happened to the sith emperor

Revanfan1 and purplerain like this.
  20. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Who were all the Sith Lords in between Cognus and Tenebrous and what are their stories? Also, what's Tenebrous's story?

21. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    He died young. Failed miserably. Never came back. The end.

That's the optimist in me talking.

22. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    He became Darth Millenial.

23. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    These both incredibly frustrate me. I honestly can't believe that Gavrisom hasn't even been so much as mentioned (at least in a narrative source - or developed in any way even in sourcebooks) outside of HOT, and the fact that the book crew apparently decided to just ignore Bel Iblis are both mind-boggling. After Shadows of Mindor came out I'd hoped we might see other returns to the Bantam era for novels and get a political book bridging New Rebellion and Specter (and could even be incorporated with Pellaeon vs. Ackbar) but alas...

I'd also say that the most glaring one is how the GFFA goes from Crucible to Legacy. If Apocalypse had just ended a bit differently, with Jag remaining the Imperial leader but still marrying Jaina, I actually would be fine with it being blank, because that would clearly flow logically. It could be assumed that Jag becomes Emperor, Jaina starts the IKs for him. Now of course thanks to Denning equating "no Jedi Temple = no ability to portray" we have a pretty tangled knot of trying to get from Point A to Point B via Point Z.

Revanfan1, JackG and Force Smuggler like this.
  24. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    What did the Legions of Lettow actually believe and were they the aggressors?

25. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Agree about Puffers and Garm - characters who led the New Republic and are founders of the Rebellion, respectively, shouldn't just fade into obscurity. At least give them cameos like Rieekan had in FotJ.

Revanfan1 and purplerain like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.